Is La Cuchara de Madera Bakery gone forever?

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The post about a someone staying near Blue Mall got me doing a bit of google sleuthing which hasn't been very successful. I am not a person who likes to eat sweets. I rarely eat chocolate or indulge in anything sweet at all. Given a choice, I will take a salty or savoury snack over anything put in front of me. But this place is (was?) one of my favorite places to eat in SD.

So when I lived there, I was walking to Agora one day and I came across La Cuchara on the corner of Jose Amado Soler and Federico Geraldino. This little bakery made the best breakfasts, cheesecakes, cupcakes, and banana splits. They had great festive decorations out front, and the atmosphere was always comfortable and relaxing. It was in an ideal location and always busy back in 2014-15. Dominican owned and not a run of the mill place. Twitter shows they had been around since at least 2010.

They also had a satellite location in Agora Mall. Both appear to be gone, as the La Cuchara is no longer listed for Agora, and google says the main location is permanently closed. Foursquare lists them at Bella Vista Mall, so I thought that maybe they had moved, but that location is also permanently closed.

So on instagram, taste.do tagged them on Aug. 24 of 2018, but their bakery instagram profile appears to be gone :cry:. Maybe I'll never find out, but I'd like to know what has happened since the end of August that they have closed up shop completely.

Was there something in any of the papers? Their social media pages have vanished. I want to hold on to hope that they are renovating or something, but I doubt it.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The post about a someone staying near Blue Mall got me doing a bit of google sleuthing which hasn't been very successful. I am not a person who likes to eat sweets. I rarely eat chocolate or indulge in anything sweet at all. Given a choice, I will take a salty or savoury snack over anything put in front of me. But this place is (was?) one of my favorite places to eat in SD.

So when I lived there, I was walking to Agora one day and I came across La Cuchara on the corner of Jose Amado Soler and Federico Geraldino. This little bakery made the best breakfasts, cheesecakes, cupcakes, and banana splits. They had great festive decorations out front, and the atmosphere was always comfortable and relaxing. It was in an ideal location and always busy back in 2014-15. Dominican owned and not a run of the mill place. Twitter shows they had been around since at least 2010.

They also had a satellite location in Agora Mall. Both appear to be gone, as the La Cuchara is no longer listed for Agora, and google says the main location is permanently closed. Foursquare lists them at Bella Vista Mall, so I thought that maybe they had moved, but that location is also permanently closed.

So on instagram, taste.do tagged them on Aug. 24 of 2018, but their bakery instagram profile appears to be gone :cry:. Maybe I'll never find out, but I'd like to know what has happened since the end of August that they have closed up shop completely.

Was there something in any of the papers? Their social media pages have vanished. I want to hold on to hope that they are renovating or something, but I doubt it.

Heard they went broke. Rumour has it that their food was too expensive, had declined in quality and had been out competed by cheaper and better options. Probably the owners will resurface somewhere else with a different name.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I haven't visited in over a year now, but hadn't noticed a significant change. I suppose it doesn't take long.

I found this blog post of a fellow expat/teacher who also enjoyed La Cuchara. She has a picture of the menu a few photos down, and yeah it was a bit pricey, but hey, it is Piantini after all. There are also a couple of pictures of Mercado (?) awards they had won for best in DR, 2014 and 2015. Such as shame- a fast decline apparently.

https://southerngirlgoneglobal.com/2016/12/10/piantini-pleasures-good-eats-in-santo-domingo/