Importing a car

jcollado423

Jan 7, 2019
Hello everyone, im new to this forum and would like to know if its possible to import a v8 mucle car to dominican republic? Ive heard that you cant because the engine is too big, but how do famous people do it then? How did "el alfa" import his lamborghini? Or how come i see old amerixan muscle cars there?
c7ad267e004b5ba9f813d4c0f6076215.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
If your Charger in the picture is less than 5 years old, you can import it. Ballplayers import cars with big engines, and like El Alfa, money isn't too much of a concern in their case.

I have seen Robinson Cano's gold plated Ferrari, and lots of other shiny new sports cars. But out and about on a daily basis in the DR, I can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen an American muscle car.

There are posters who have imported that can help you. I think there was a discussion within the past year on a similar topic. Best of luck.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
There are a number of good reasons why you should not bother importing this car into the DR. You will pay heavy duties for importing the car. You will also pay shipping and handling charges. Remember also the price of gas in the DR is much more expensive and with the car you want to import you will spend a lot more on gas. Also the roads you will be driving on are not built for "muscle cars" and their horse power. Sell the car in the US and buy something more appropriate for the driving conditions in the DR. You will be much happier if you do.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
to say nothing of the low quality of the gas

my former muscle cars needed hi octane.... hard to find here

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Why do people assume that when posters ask these kind of questions, that they are on a limited budget?

Surely if the OP owns such a machine then he is obviously no pauper living on the bread line. As AE has stated, if the car is less than five years old then it can be imported. The limiting factor to some is the cost. But if you factor in the fact that the OP already owns and and has cared for the car, he knows what he's getting into, rather than selling it there and buying another one here. If the cost can be justified, then there is merit in importing it.

The comment about fuel quality and octane content is also a myth. That big V8 will run perfectly fine on the regular gasoline sold here. High octane does not mean higher power. Any modern engine such as the one in that Charger adapts its timing to run on whatever gas you put in it.

Bring it over and enjoy it. That's what I say.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Beeza
I’m not sure about the octane being a myth
My Maserati was very fussy about its gas

The dealer warned me to be careful, they had retrieved cars suffering from poor gas ⛽️
Flatbed/grua retrievals

But I’ll defer to you....
I hear the fancy car club has a place for better gas in SD.... I hear

jcollado423

Jan 7, 2019
Beeza
I’m not sure about the octane being a myth
My Maserati was very fussy about its gas

The dealer warned me to be careful, they had retrieved cars suffering from poor gas [emoji618]️
Flatbed/grua retrievals

But I’ll defer to you....
I hear the fancy car club has a place for better gas in SD.... I hear
Any good gas in santiago?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Can't say-
what I talking about here is the Ferrari/Maserati crowd etc.... and there are plenty of them, trust me

But I know what you're thinking.. I had a Shelby Mustang Cobra 500... 1969

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Save yourself the hassle of importing it. You can pick up a Hemi powered Challenger just about anywhere here. My neighbors lasted 3 months before it met a speed bump with large quantities of alcohol involved. Reminded me of a scene from Vanishing Point.
The new breed of Challengers just can't get airborn like the originals without crumbling.
I have seen a Hellcat here. The Dodge dealer in STQ will import one if he doesn't have one in stock.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Save yourself the hassle of importing it. You can pick up a Hemi powered Challenger just about anywhere here. My neighbors lasted 3 months before it met a speed bump with large quantities of alcohol involved. Reminded me of a scene from Vanishing Point.
The new breed of Challengers just can't get airborn like the originals without crumbling.
I have seen a Hellcat here. The Dodge dealer in STQ will import one if he doesn't have one in stock.

Also Cherokee SRT's. There's more than a few muscle cars in SD, but most of them come out at night.

I'm not sure if they still do it, but they used to have meetings in the Galeria 360 basement parking lot every Saturday night.

Youtube has dozens of some very professional looking videos of some of those meetings.

[video=youtube;cDjO1SLB89c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDjO1SLB89c[/video]

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

There's 12 Challengers just on supercarros:

https://www.supercarros.com/carros/cualquier-tipo/cualquier-provincia/Dodge/Challenger/

and 8 Chargers too:

https://www.supercarros.com/buscar/...=0&PriceTo=20000000&YearFrom=1975&YearTo=2019

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I had a 2014 SRT Jeep that one of the kids said it needed to go faster. So I put a blower and long tube headers on it and on the dyno we got it to 650hp. I really should have imported here. I would have got a lot more for than I did back in Canada.

It was one fast jeep and the locals would have financed their children to get it.

Jan 9, 2004
Hello everyone, im new to this forum and would like to know if its possible to import a v8 mucle car to dominican republic?

Yes, as has been said above, if it is under 5 years of age........as identified on the title.........not the door plate.

Ive heard that you cant because the engine is too big, but how do famous people do it then?

Large engine displacement does NOT disqualify entry...........it does however put you in a higher tax classification.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2