What is expected of you upon marrying a Dominican National

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I found this on the Net. Good reading for newbies in love here.

Greetings all... I felt the need to ask this question since I just got hit with a bit of a curve ball. I have been dating my Dominicana for close to 3 years, and for the most part she never asks for anything, so I have provided her with things I figured she could use here and there, but then suddenly the topic of a big tkt item comes up to which I said I was not interested in the purchase and at most I would help with some portion, but not a 100% then the parents home remodeling to which I did not even volunteer, I simply said: That sounds like a family matter you guys need to handle amongst yourself. All of a sudden I'm being told I'm not a commited partner :eek: to which I said: I have provided you and your family with numerous displays of generosity and covered you mobile internet bills for close to 3 years, and now because I'm not signing up for the home improvement project and the big tkt vehicle, then I'm not committed to you :/

Well fellows let me break it down for you so you won't get the curve ball thrown at you. This is what I have just learned. You will run in to 3 types of women while here.

1- The girl who has her own. This girl has a good job, good education, drives her own car, and her family is quite capable of doing for self.....this girl is kind of similar to what you might find in Western or European society. This girl still gives you the ultrafeminine treatment minus the drama and all the family issues. Look for her in the city at the upscale hangouts,

2- The girl who is asking for money and gifts right out the gate. This girl is very charming and will have you thinking she loves you and you are the best thing since slice bread! Look for her at your own risk at all the tourist spots. This girl loves drama and always has some issue for you to solve, it is never ending....and if you marry her, be prepared to take on the entire immediate family and then some. The good thing about this girl is that she is easy to spot, so if you play you pay.

3- The non asking girl. This girl can be a mixed bag and perhaps the hardest to spot since she appears to be sweet and is usuall more of a regular girl who has a normal job, goes to church and seems like your all around good girl. Lives with her family and has been taught to not ask but let a man offer. These are the sneaky ones since you figure by them not asking, you lucked out and avoided number 2 girl......but sometimes,...... not always, you might be fattened up for the big kill and usually by then you are so caught up.....you might not be able to refuse her request since you fear losing your dream girl.

This is why you must take your time when it comes to dating women in the Caribbean. Any woman wealthy or poor can be a golddigger or vice versa....can be a good woman. Any of these 3 women have potential to operate under any of the aforementioned formats.....Allow yourself to date and spend time with her....look at friends and family to see how they act around you and around her.....are they hard working folks who are willing to not have you pay for everything when you go out and actually don't mind buying you a few rounds and treating you as well? Is she willing to treat you to even something simple like ice cream? Observe, test, and analize! Do your homework or you might end up back on your flight with just your shirt on your back. How do you leave DR with a Million Dollars??? Arrive with 2 Million.

Reactions: campesinadeatl

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Lying, cheating and stealing is part of their culture. I don't fault
them for being this way as the Dominican society is very different
from that of Western society. People (especially western men) need
to educate themselves about these differences prior to signing up.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

None of these are part of their culture anymore than they are part of any other culture. Blood relatives are more important that those married into the family. I would say that is part of Dominican culture.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
None of these are part of their culture anymore than they are part of any other culture.

Unfortunately all of these have become a part of their culture and there is nothing you, I or anyone
else can do to change these negative realities about the Dominican culture anytime in the near future.

I do agree with you when said, blood relatives are more important that those married into the family.

Apr 7, 2014

Dominican society IS Western Society. They speak a Western European language in the Western Hemisphere.
Its a kleptocratic Idiocracy why they are how they are.

The Thermoquad Cowboy

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
from that of Western society p.
Is the DR society eastern, Southern or northen?? Just curious.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
To answer your original question. A life of living hell.

Completely understand the sentiment in this response....you might even be better off in a log cabin out in the Alaskan wilderness...I ain't joking...those that have lived through this know what I am saying here.

ando1991

Dec 5, 2016
Lying, cheating and stealing is expected from Dominicans?
Is this coming from people that live iin the Dominican Republic?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Lying, cheating and stealing is expected from Dominicans?
Is this coming from people that live iin the Dominican Republic?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Like anywhere else you have to use good judgement on whom you trust, where you live, and who you marry. I trust nobody with my tools. I only lend what is easy to replace.

I found this on the Net. Good reading for newbies in love here.

Greetings all... I felt the need to ask this question since I just got hit with a bit of a curve ball. I have been dating my Dominicana for close to 3 years, and for the most part she never asks for anything, so I have provided her with things I figured she could use here and there, but then suddenly the topic of a big tkt item comes up to which I said I was not interested in the purchase and at most I would help with some portion, but not a 100% then the parents home remodeling to which I did not even volunteer, I simply said: That sounds like a family matter you guys need to handle amongst yourself. All of a sudden I'm being told I'm not a commited partner :eek: to which I said: I have provided you and your family with numerous displays of generosity and covered you mobile internet bills for close to 3 years, and now because I'm not signing up for the home improvement project and the big tkt vehicle, then I'm not committed to you :/

Well fellows let me break it down for you so you won't get the curve ball thrown at you. This is what I have just learned. You will run in to 3 types of women while here.

1- The girl who has her own. This girl has a good job, good education, drives her own car, and her family is quite capable of doing for self.....this girl is kind of similar to what you might find in Western or European society. This girl still gives you the ultrafeminine treatment minus the drama and all the family issues. Look for her in the city at the upscale hangouts,

2- The girl who is asking for money and gifts right out the gate. This girl is very charming and will have you thinking she loves you and you are the best thing since slice bread! Look for her at your own risk at all the tourist spots. This girl loves drama and always has some issue for you to solve, it is never ending....and if you marry her, be prepared to take on the entire immediate family and then some. The good thing about this girl is that she is easy to spot, so if you play you pay.

3- The non asking girl. This girl can be a mixed bag and perhaps the hardest to spot since she appears to be sweet and is usuall more of a regular girl who has a normal job, goes to church and seems like your all around good girl. Lives with her family and has been taught to not ask but let a man offer. These are the sneaky ones since you figure by them not asking, you lucked out and avoided number 2 girl......but sometimes,...... not always, you might be fattened up for the big kill and usually by then you are so caught up.....you might not be able to refuse her request since you fear losing your dream girl.

This is why you must take your time when it comes to dating women in the Caribbean. Any woman wealthy or poor can be a golddigger or vice versa....can be a good woman. Any of these 3 women have potential to operate under any of the aforementioned formats.....Allow yourself to date and spend time with her....look at friends and family to see how they act around you and around her.....are they hard working folks who are willing to not have you pay for everything when you go out and actually don't mind buying you a few rounds and treating you as well? Is she willing to treat you to even something simple like ice cream? Observe, test, and analize! Do your homework or you might end up back on your flight with just your shirt on your back. How do you leave DR with a Million Dollars??? Arrive with 2 Million.

Where you been all my life Sky? I like to think Im the number 2 on them, I immediately ask them for things and i love the drama.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I wonder if DR society has always been like this or if it’s something from the last decennia. Stories of the past give me the impression that under Balaguer and certainly before that things were different.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
In 15 years I have not once been asked for anything by Alida.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In 15 years I have not once been asked for anything by Alida.

In 43 years, I can honestly say that I’m the one who always thinks about buying things for his family. Nothing was expected of me by anyone. Maybe not a coincidence that we both married into the Olivo family.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
In 43 years, I can honestly say that I’m the one who always thinks about buying things for his family. Nothing was expected of me by anyone. Maybe not a coincidence that we both married into the Olivo family.
Ditto.

I almost have to force Alida to spend money. She is frugal with a peso.

LoveInDR

Feb 27, 2019
Women are hypergamous by nature, so that being said---Dominicanas are no different then the rest of women around the world.

I just believe with so much corruption and lack of monetary social programs in place to lend aid to their fellow natives in need, native Dominicanas hypergamous nature is more acute, and at times, from quite a few Dominicanas I know, more desperate to get those dollars by any means necessary.