Alberta woman says she was sexually assaulted at Punta Cana resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
If a person is too drunk to consent it is considered rape, male or female.
With that said if it was me I would not pursue a case like this in the DR.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Nice... "she had it coming" and "it was her own fault" is why many women don't report in the first place.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
"She had it coming" NO absolutely not. As a woman no one has "rape" coming to them, no matter how much you drink. But she is guilty of bad judgement. However that is no excuse for sexual assault if that is the case.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Her family is likely seeing these posts and we don't know the exact circumstances of why she went to the room without them. People who post the: "she had it coming" responses wouldn't be saying that if it were their daughter in the same situation.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have yet to see a post that states "she had it coming". What has been said is that this person is partly responsible for being in the situation she was in. You are not guaranteed safety in this country or anywhere else for that matter. Another woman reported a sexual assault in Punta Cana not that long ago.

Clearly, stumbling around intoxicated to the point of needing help to get back to your room is not a particularly good life/personal safety choice if you do not have a known associate to look after you. You wouldn't do this at home and you shouldn't do it here. I hope those in her group who were with her drinking at the bar feel awful as it is partly their fault as well for not making the time to make sure she got back to her room. I trust the family is more irate at those who were with her than someone posting on a forum.

You do not get to make poor life choices without sometimes having to face some consequences. No one asks for trouble, yet trouble seems to have no difficulty finding those that do not exercise reasonable judgement. I'm glad the assault was reported, I'm glad (and hope) the right people were arrested and I am glad for the media coverage so others may become informed that travelling to a foreign country and getting completely blottoed may not be a particular good thing to do outside of the confines of your own four walls.

We as a society have to stop coddling those who claim to be innocent victims and remind them that they often have some degree of culpability for the situations they find themselves in. Sure they are indeed victims but there are often circumstances to which they themselves have contributed that facilitated their predicament.

When they come to some of these all inclusive resorts in several countries in the Caribbean, lots of tourists lose their minds, inhibitions and a reasonable degree of restraint. In a perfect world this would not have happened to this person or anyone else. But this is not a perfect world, this is not a perfect country and people are not perfect. Good people are exploited and taken advantage of in this country everyday to varying degrees. Tourists cannot realistically expect it will be different just for them...

Left leaning social justice bleatings > NUL after a chorus of Kumbaya.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Fine- until the last line. Of course it's partially based on bad judgment. But take your politics to the Off-Topic forum.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Closed thread until we have more details of the outcome of the case. As one poster suggested, the wider discussion can be taken to the Off-Topic forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.