Sosua beach restaurants

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
I will soon be visiting the Sosua beach again after quite some years and therefore I would appreciate if someone can give recommendations on clean/safe restaurants on the beach?

In all my previous visits to Sosua beach good old Tom was running the Scandinavian bar and I had almost all meals there.

Thanks and have a nice weekend
MM

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Tom passed away a few years ago. Cancer I believe. RIP.
I loved his Swedish “pritipana” (sp?).

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I find that all restaurants on Sosua beach sketchy. I've eaten twice (once 2 weeks ago and once last year) at Mofongo King which is raved about and it was the worse mofongo that I have ever had. Toro Negro is good, but pricey with very small portions. Tom's is now called Rehab. I haven't eaten there, but it's owned by two nice gringos and they have live music most nights. They have a full menu. I used to eat pizza at Velero's until I saw the cook blow his nose in his hands.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the only place at which i have eaten on the beach is at Big D's. pretty good stuff. at least i think so.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Tom passed away a few years ago. Cancer I believe. RIP.
I loved his Swedish “pritipana” (sp?).

Unfortunately you are correct. I believe his wife is leasing it to
someone else. Operates under different name now and menu
has changed. RIP Tom.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I find that all restaurants on Sosua beach sketchy. I've eaten twice (once 2 weeks ago and once last year) at Mofongo King which is raved about and it was the worse mofongo that I have ever had. Toro Negro is good, but pricey with very small portions. Tom's is now called Rehab. I haven't eaten there, but it's owned by two nice gringos and they have live music most nights. They have a full menu. I used to eat pizza at Velero's until I saw the cook blow his nose in his hands.

I wanted to post something like this before but did not want to appear negative ...

But lets just say the places I used to recommend HIGHLY to people before, will never see my money again..
but for different reasons .
one small example , Andres, used to LOVE the place and their food is very good .
As a group we used to spend so much money there its ridiculous .. tables on the sand ..like that .. lots of fun.
So when I go there alone, or with one other person I re introduce myself, so he recognizes the names of the guys i hung with .
What does the guy do , he cheats me on the Lobster that was brought to me on a plate and approved, and agreed on to go into the SALAD and in the Meal.
It was a rainy day, so i guess he wanted to make up for it by making his money on me .. I guess the Stupid Gringo was not supposed to actually know whats what .
Sorry, but I only get screwed once . you dont get another chance to do that to me.
The food quality is Always AWESOME . no complaint there

.. but if they CAN chisel you , they WILL..
I guess this goes for any place on the beach .

So I keep it simple now .. FRIED Fish, and Tostones ..thats it
Not wasting my money any more on a large Meal, literally thousands of Pesos , and get ripped off to boot ?..
Keep your Lobster and your Shrimp.
Rather spend my money at a SIT down Restaurant in town.. plenty of Good Choices there.

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
Thanks for your input guys and I do agree with you Seamonkey sketchy in general hence my question.

Hopefully someone can recommend something good if not I will take my lunches before heading to he beach.
MM

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I eat at El Valero, only place I trust, have their own kitchen and so far, after several years, there is consistency with their food and service. I can't say that about most of the restaurants in Sosua let alone the beach. I have had birthday parties there and have found them to be fair and honest, though I do go through the bill with a fine tooth comb.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
the only place at which i have eaten on the beach is at Big D's. pretty good stuff. at least i think so.

I second this. Good, not great. However, Big D (Darrick) is a super nice guy and you will enjoy chatting with him if he is not too busy. This is assuming he is still there. I have not been to Sosua in a while. LT is my preferred DR locale now.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Whenever there is a choice between any two or more things/places there are pluses and minuses. I'm not a Sousa beach person so the desire to eat there usually only comes up when someone else suggests it. I did it once and have no pressing desire to do it again.

I do not have a lot of faith in the ability of ramshackle shacks to be able to meet my basic hygiene preferences all the time when preparing food. I get that good food handling practices are hit and miss in many establishments but I am of the opinion that they may be further lacking at the beach. Hand washing, cleanliness, keeping hair and other bodily detritus out of the food, cross contamination, people who feel the need to prepare food when they are ill out of economic necessity and the general state of the available bathrooms. You can tell a lot about potential problems by looking at the bathrooms and the kitchen space where you can see that area.

I'm not comfortable eating there. I'm not interested in trying a bunch of establishments to figure out which I prefer so I just don't bother. I also do not wish to eat while surrounded by people on the move, noise and wandering vendors. For me Sosua beach does not offer me the ambiance I prefer or confidence in consistent hygiene.

Lots of people eat there and I haven't heard of any problems, but that doesn't mean that a salmonella outbreak won't happen tomorrow whether I hear about it or not.

People have to make up their own minds based on their level of comfort and their desires. For me, passing on great tasting food form a "hole-in-the-wall" establishment is preferable to spending a week being sick and the complications that can bring on.

I'm getting older and my ability to quickly bounce back from severe illness is not what it used to be. I don't need a parasitic infection and I certainly don't need any of the Hep family of viruses as they all take forever to recover from if ever - I need my liver in top form at breakfast each day. :)

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I second this. Good, not great. However, Big D (Darrick) is a super nice guy and you will enjoy chatting with him if he is not too busy. This is assuming he is still there. I have not been to Sosua in a while. LT is my preferred DR locale now.

i think he is still there. his stuff is not 5 star gourmet fare, but not at all bad if you just want some well prepared chicken rather than pica pollo, and some decent ribs. i wish he had a good rib sauce style ribs, a la Tony Roma's, but he utilizes a different style. still good stuff..

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
I would recommend trying #10, on the Beach.
It is run by Yugoslavs. They speak perfect English, Spanish, German.
Incredible hospitality.
Their menu is limited.
There BBQ screws are mouthwatering.
I often order the Spaghetti Bolognese.
The cook, also a Yugoslav, has worked in Toronto and keeps a very clean, professional Kitchen.

Give it a try.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I’ve also eaten at #67 many times. Ary has been there along time (all the way back to when his next door neighbor, #66 was Lou’s New York Shark Bar!). His creole style fish has been consistently good. My buddy likes the soup there too (huge bowls).

But my favorite Sousa beach spot is actually not on the beach. It’s up in Charamicos and overlooks the beach. Food isn’t the draw.....it’s the view.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Yes, Michael's is the place to go in Charamicos. Great view, good food, and great hospitality from the family that has owned it for many years.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I eat at El Valero, only place I trust, have their own kitchen and so far, after several years, there is consistency with their food and service..

100% Agreed. Mani runs a tight ship.

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Siggi: excellent polish german food

Try Siggi.

He has a small place in 2nd row near the stairs in the center of the beach.

Excellent polish german food like saucages, gulash, escalope, meatballs.
All fresh prepared while you have a drink.
No maggi of any kind.

Nice international guests.

When I am in Sosua I often go there, never disappointed.

Prices I consider a bargain in relation to quality.

Alexander

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Try Siggi.

He has a small place in 2nd row near the stairs in the center of the beach.

Excellent polish german food like saucages, gulash, escalope, meatballs.
All fresh prepared while you have a drink.
No maggi of any kind.

Nice international guests.

When I am in Sosua I often go there, never disappointed.

Prices I consider a bargain in relation to quality.

Alexander

Were the rumors of his death greatly exaggerated?

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
Big D's is so much better when Big D is there. If he isn't just keep walking, it's average at best, in his absence. Fast Freddies #164 down on the charamicos is very good. Clean, very cold Beers, and Freddy is a great guy. From the States but of Dominican heritage. No funny business as far as padding of the bills ect..

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
Also, mofongo king never disappoints! However, the atmosphere might not be to everyone's liking. Lots "action" there now.