Driving from Santiago to La Romana

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
So I have made this drive many times over the years, down the mountains from Santiago (RD 1 i believe) to the capital and then west along the coast. I absolutely hate the capital, don't feel bad Santo Domingo, I don't like any big city driving. So my question is there any other route i might want to look at. I do remember going east on some kind of Circumvention road before the capital once, but can't remember the road conditions or traffic. This will be taking place during the week, early morning, around 4 AM leaving Santiago. My destination is La Romana. I am not in a hurry, but i don't want it to take all day either. If no major traffic issues I usually do it in around 4 hours. Thanks

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
They have been in the process of building a cutoff before SD to the Nagua-SDQ road, but it is not done yet. You really have no choice but to go thru SD.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
So I have made this drive many times over the years, down the mountains from Santiago (RD 1 i believe) to the capital and then west along the coast. I absolutely hate the capital, don't feel bad Santo Domingo, I don't like any big city driving. So my question is there any other route i might want to look at. I do remember going east on some kind of Circumvention road before the capital once, but can't remember the road conditions or traffic. This will be taking place during the week, early morning, around 4 AM leaving Santiago. My destination is La Romana. I am not in a hurry, but i don't want it to take all day either. If no major traffic issues I usually do it in around 4 hours. Thanks

Try going east from SD. (hahaha)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you want to avoid SD... the Googl map road is the answer.

Once you get over to #7 you're on really good roads... very new
the route to #7 from STI isn't bad -
I hear...just hear, never driven it

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you want to avoid SD... the Googl map road is the answer.

Once you get over to #7 you're on really good roads... very new
the route to #7 from STI isn't bad -
I hear...just hear, never driven it

If it the way I think it is, forget it. My friend tried this once. He turned around it was so bad.

And Google Maps is only good in the DR for major cities and highways, not out of the way roads.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
All about the cross country to #7 -- it seems to me

You might right... the old saying ---
you can't get there from here....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just take the normal way thru the Capital, but go either very early in the AM or on Sunday.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Just take the normal way thru the Capital, but go either very early in the AM or on Sunday.

Exactly what I was thinking especially since the OP said they would be leaving Santiago at 4AM. By the time the OP gets to Santo Domingo there will be no traffic that early in the morning.

Just to mix it up a bit instead of staying on autopista/JFK cut down avenida luperon at km 12 and take the malecon to the floating bridge. Time it just right and catch the sunrise coming up over the sea.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Taking the Barge he has to know to go right and stay right all the way to the Hwy going towards La Romana. Easy route at that time as long as the Barge is not closed, which it is sometimes.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005

Take the new Circunvalacion around SD, new highway like the one in Santiago, and you bypass SD.....
Quite surprised no one mentioned this route......

https://www.diariolibre.com/actuali...-que-avanza-para-acortar-distancia-GH11522958

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Let's just say I occasionally exchange email with a dr1 lurker who for whatever reason does not want to join up and post but at the same time doesn't mind helping folks out with sound advice. NOW remember I am just the messenger! ............ but none the less sure sounds like solid advice to me..............

Birdman,

Since you along with SKY have suggested the right route which is through the capital, I would pass on a few observations being someone who is and has been driving all around the country and a great deal in and around Santo Domingo.

The googled route by caribmike is ludicrous and downright dangerous. At 4am in the morning to suggest any expat pass through SFM the drug capital of DR is mad. I’ve driven the route from Santiago to the Samana highway several times and it is a dangerous drive in terms of accidents during daylight and to expect someone also to navigate through Villa Arriba and Arenoso where a couple were involved in a planned murder a week or so back is downright bad advice.

Now I see hammerdown suggesting using the ring road which still ends north of Villa Mella and would involve a drive through that lovely part of DR early morning….nuts. I travelled yesterday around the ring road form Haina to the junction with the Yamasa road and the contractors are working on the bridge columns and abutments on the new intersection there. They must be asphalting somewhere because last week there were over 30 wagons being lined up and loaded with asphalt at the plant east of Duarte.

Now the best route for someone arriving at Pedro Brand at say 6am would be to join the ring road west to Haina after the peaje. Such that in 15 minutes they join the Sanchez road at Haina from St Cristobel and head west onto 30 de Mayo and George Washington all along the Malecon to the floating bridge and then Av Espana before joining Autopista Las Americas. At 6.15/6.30 those roads and the Malecon will be quiet and a quick route whereas from experience I know Duarte clogs up at the Los Alcarizzos turn from soon after 6.00 and the journey forward along JFK will be a grind.

You know the city so perhaps you could help the OP with the route that I would advise.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Leaving Santiago at 4 AM you don't need to be too creative. There will me no traffic in SD when you get there.