Moving furniture abroad

ragingpuma

Jan 10, 2019
Hey guys!

Joined this forum because I'm moving to the Caribbean for work in a few months, but I currently have a lot of furniture in my New York apartment, that I'd like to keep but not sure if I will move with me. Is there a respected moving company that I can trust to deliver to Caribbean? Or maybe better to sell the furniture and start fresh...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Search under "mudanzas". There are numerous shippers in NY that can help you. Call them and get a quote and decide oif it's worth it to you.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Hey guys!

Joined this forum because I'm moving to the Caribbean for work in a few months, but I currently have a lot of furniture in my New York apartment, that I'd like to keep but not sure if I will move with me. Is there a respected moving company that I can trust to deliver to Caribbean? Or maybe better to sell the furniture and start fresh...

Welcome to DR1!

It kind of depends on how long you're traveling. Being there for a season is a lot different than a permanent move.

Anyway, assuming a long term deal, I'd do the same as a cross-country move: start with sorting your furniture into the "must keep" vs "other" categories. Sell or give away anything not in the "must" category. Remember, the climate is a lot different, and your furniture may not be appropriate.

Finally, there are tons of places, including here on DR1, where you can find furniture. It ain't that expensive, and you can even get custom pieces for a great price. Consider buying locally, shipping down only a few key pieces, and storing the rest with family or friends for when you return. It'll be cheaper, easier, and you'll get to largely start fresh, which is a good thing from time to time.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Pine and Particle Board furniture, leave it. It's just termite food.

Oak, Maple and mahogany antique furniture, bring it. We're short on Early American furniture.

Reactions: CristoRey

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
and remember once you bring it in it is here to stay............... awhile back when I was considering shipping some furniture back to the USA a poster reminded me the DR is like a Black Hole. What goes in, never comes out. Just way, way too expensive to ship back stateside unless of course it is some rare extremely valuable stuff.

Reactions: CristoRey
Oct 2, 2011
Peravia, Bani
Hey guys!

Search online LA ROSA DEL MONTE

ragingpuma

Jan 10, 2019
Hey everyone, solid advice and thanks for the suggestions! Been contacting a few of the companies that were mentioned and got some quotes for shipping costs. Mudanzas sounds like the best option so far :) Unfortunately, my flight date is a bit further away than when I have to leave my apartment, so will store my stuff in NYC until Mudanzas can pick it up and ship it to the Caribbean. A lot of steps to get there, but I think it will be worth it :D Nice to have my own stuff and not buy everything again...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: colmcb

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Anyone every tell them BM was a bad name for a 'moving' company?
I'm sure BMCargo would be very happy to help with a house moving, but the customer would perhaps not... I would certainly not be...

That being said, I have been a happy BMCargo customer for close to 10 years, but not for anything heavier than 10-15 pounds...

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
For mudanzas, Awilda Shipping is the one we've used many times (if they still operate), can only recommend... Google it and you have phone/address there...

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Hi, Would anyone have a guide price on the cost of moving the furniture of a smallish 3-bed house to a near by storage depot? Just a ball park would be helpful. Thanks.
From where to where (approximately)

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Please be aware that bringing anything here may trigger customs and you could pay a lot If you are not a legal resident.