Car Rentals in STI?

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Hi Folks!

Im traveling to Santiago soon and Im thinking of renting a car....going throught the aa.com website I found some options in STI for a sedan for 18 dollars a day plus 81 dollars for insurance for the week with Alamo, small SUV for 27 a day plus 81 insurance for the week...sounds a little to ggod to be true....... is it? Any recomendations? Before I was renting from private renters but they arent around anymore...

Thanks in advance!

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Hi Folks!

Im traveling to Santiago soon and Im thinking of renting a car....going throught the aa.com website I found some options in STI for a sedan for 18 dollars a day plus 81 dollars for insurance for the week with Alamo, small SUV for 27 a day plus 81 insurance for the week...sounds a little to ggod to be true....... is it? Any recomendations? Before I was renting from private renters but they arent around anymore...

Thanks in advance!

I used Twister Rent Car a few years ago (I believe it was 2010), so while I have no idea what's changed with them, when we took my dad back to the airport a couple of months back, I still saw them there, on the road between Autopista Duarte and the airport, so they seem to be in business.

Back then, no complaints, paid with foreign debit card, and everything was handled very professionally. The only hickup was that they were supposed to come pick us up from the airport, but the guy forgot. I called them slightly upset while waiting at the airport and the guy arrived pretty fast... Unfortunately, I do not recall anything of the pricing anymore, but as I was happy with it, it could not be that expensive...

https://www.twisterrentacar.com/

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
I used Twister Rent Car a few years ago (I believe it was 2010), so while I have no idea what's changed with them, when we took my dad back to the airport a couple of months back, I still saw them there, on the road between Autopista Duarte and the airport, so they seem to be in business.

Back then, no complaints, paid with foreign debit card, and everything was handled very professionally. The only hickup was that they were supposed to come pick us up from the airport, but the guy forgot. I called them slightly upset while waiting at the airport and the guy arrived pretty fast... Unfortunately, I do not recall anything of the pricing anymore, but as I was happy with it, it could not be that expensive...

https://www.twisterrentacar.com/

Thanks Josh! I rented from private parties in until 2017 and last year I decided to go full UBER, which went very well for the most part and a lot more cheaper than renting....I could always borrow a car too I guess!

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Those prices are about right for Alamo (non-holiday) and the insurance charge of $81 you mention is just for the 3rd party liability. "Full Insurance" costs much more. So if you plan to use your credit card insurance be aware that in an accident you'll pay cash on the ground with a reimbursement later, subject to deductible. Avoid driving at night at all costs.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
William,

Did you even bother to read the original post????

One thing I've learned is that one thing is whatever is on the internet and another is when you arrive in DR and another reality awaits you....

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Those prices are about right for Alamo (non-holiday) and the insurance charge of $81 you mention is just for the 3rd party liability. "Full Insurance" costs much more. So if you plan to use your credit card insurance be aware that in an accident you'll pay cash on the ground with a reimbursement later, subject to deductible. Avoid driving at night at all costs.

Hi RV429,

Please forgive me for my "For real" post, I tried to be a little funny but apparently it is being read by others as being a little nasty which wasnt my intention...I hadn't seen your reply until now....

From what the insurance says, it is actually the opposite(Or so they claim), the 81 quoted(they say) is for any damage to car, but no coverage to 3rd party...like you said, from what I've investigated another 80 bucks or so for the 3rd party liability, which I from other posts say is mandatory in DR....I lived and owned and driven cars in Santiago for many years, but I know these rental places can be sneaky adding to costs in DR or anywhere else for that matter. I just wanted to know if somebody had a personal experience using them at the Santiago airport...and youre right about using the cc insurance being subject to reimbursement, any damage would be out of pocket in DR....thanks for your input!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
William,

Did you even bother to read the original post????

One thing I've learned is that one thing is whatever is on the internet and another is when you arrive in DR and another reality awaits you....

I'm sorry you didn't like it.

Personally, I have ZERO problems booking cars on line as opposed to local people...
I've done both.. albeit a few yrs ago.

If you can't find your local deal.... use my Google page

Best of luck to you

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Chris Rose (Fox Sports?)-
I've rented at Alamo STI, SDQ, POP about 177 times. At STI ask for Luis (cell 829-401-9669), good guy with good customer service. $9/day is for mandatory 3rd party liability.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Thank you RV429 and William Webster!

I misread Williams post, I apologize....It did give me an idea about using his google link,....reading the reviews!.... but I don't trust those reviews 100%, a lot of times reviews are fake reviews or people with exaggerated complaints...I like to hear the personal experience of long time members of DR1 like RV429 and William Webster when seeking advice....And then I realized that a lot of people flying into Santiago either have a car there or rent/borrow one from a friend...........Thanks again guys for your help!

ps Wlliam I went back and gave your post a like

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Chris Rose (Fox Sports?)-
I've rented at Alamo STI, SDQ, POP about 177 times. At STI ask for Luis (cell 829-401-9669), good guy with good customer service. $9/day is for mandatory 3rd party liability.

Fox Sports! :) He stole my name!