Anyone Live in San Pedro de Macorís

Mattinnorfolk

Dec 15, 2013
I was curious if anyone lives there, as it seems its close to many other places, and has low cost of living. I am a single guy. Thanks,

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
We used to have a member that lived there and he seemed to like it. I've been there several times and I didn't think it was a very nice city and the beaches right there were not very nice either. Juan Dolio would be a better choice if you want to live on the south coast IMO.

Reactions: JDFriend

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have to agree with previous poster. Tons of Motos all over the City, accidents waiting to happen every minute. You can find a lot better inexpensive place to live.

Reactions: rfp

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We used to have a member that lived there and he seemed to like it. I've been there several times and I didn't think it was a very nice city and the beaches right there were not very nice either. Juan Dolio would be a better choice if you want to live on the south coast IMO.
Juan Dolio is nice. Just D-E-A-D dead.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The posters are sanpedrogringo and Riva_31 I believe. There are lots of much, much more beautiful places in the DR, but San Pedro isn't so bad. Baseball players and motos. The malecon at night is a huge, teeming, sea side night club, if you're into that kind of thing.

The beach in town is called "Playa del Muerto"; who names a beach that and expects there to be a draw is beyond me. The back story I was told is that bodies washed up on the shore during the Trujillo era, hence the name. It wasn't well kept at all, not worth going to, and had only been recently reopened at all. During the week, Juan Dolio and Guayacanes are minutes away and peaceful. Even on weekends, Juan Dolio isn't nearly as packed as Boca Chica. It isn't thriving, but there are still some nice spots to relax in the trade winds.

An hour to Punta Cana and an hour to SD, I can see the draw. Have you visited much? If the city would restore some of the beautiful old buildings along the shore and near the church, there are a couple of blocks that just might rival the feel of Zona Colonial. Likely never happening, and Edificio Morey is possibly one of the most unique colonial buildings in the country.

If you do visit, Apartahotel Guaraguao has fresh, clean, modern, A/C rooms at reasonable rates. Also check out Empanadas Reyes and Blondies Empanadas. We haven't been back in about year, but those are a couple of our go to places.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The posters are sanpedrogringo and Riva_31 I believe. There are lots of much, much more beautiful places in the DR, but San Pedro isn't so bad. Baseball players and motos. The malecon at night is a huge, teeming, sea side night club, if you're into that kind of thing.

The beach in town is called "Playa del Muerto"; who names a beach that and expects there to be a draw is beyond me. The back story I was told is that bodies washed up on the shore during the Trujillo era, hence the name. It wasn't well kept at all, not worth going to, and had only been recently reopened at all. During the week, Juan Dolio and Guayacanes are minutes away and peaceful. Even on weekends, Juan Dolio isn't nearly as packed as Boca Chica. It isn't thriving, but there are still some nice spots to relax in the trade winds.

An hour to Punta Cana and an hour to SD, I can see the draw. Have you visited much? If the city would restore some of the beautiful old buildings along the shore and near the church, there are a couple of blocks that just might rival the feel of Zona Colonial. Likely never happening, and Edificio Morey is possibly one of the most unique colonial buildings in the country.

If you do visit, Apartahotel Guaraguao has fresh, clean, modern, A/C rooms at reasonable rates. Also check out Empanadas Reyes and Blondies Empanadas. We haven't been back in about year, but those are a couple of our go to places.

Correct all things you posted and I will add another problem and is that people here throw garvage to the streets and when rain come its a very big problem and you can find floodings almots everywhere here.

And yes I live in San Pedro, here is not so expensive, with 300.00 dollars you can rent an aparment, one of the nicest areas is Barrio Hazim close to Jumbo.

Juan Dolio is very nice place to live but is more expensive and quiet, maybe sometimes you will get bored there if you pickup to live in the new Juan Dolio, that part all is more quiet, but who knows maybe you are out of the box and San Pedro likes you.

Mattinnorfolk

Dec 15, 2013
Thank you to everyone. I do love some beach, and some city as well. I will be 63, single, and my Spanish is intermediate. I have been to the DR 10 times, but twice to Punta Cuna so that doesn't count. I have never been to San Pedro, and obviously need to visit. I just thought it looked pretty central to get to other places in a reasonable time. I have also been to Colombia 12 times and other Latin countries many times. I was sure on retiring in Colombia because I do like the weather and cost of living is lower then the DR, but miss the beaches and I have been to Cartagena, and not the same. It does seem I would need a car if living in San Pedro, or am I missing something?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You definitely need a car unless you want to risk your life with Moto Conchos. My prediction: When you spend one hour in this town you will forget it ever existed.

Mattinnorfolk

Dec 15, 2013
I think you are right Sky. Just trying to live a middle class western lifestyle on $2500 a month so I can leave my savings alone for emergency's, trips etc. and let it grow, and live in a decent Studio with A/C. I cook, and will use local products and vegetables, but most say I would be pretty poor in Santo Domingo. I have been to Puerto Plata 5 times, and its both sketchy but also decent. I do have a female lawyer friend in Puerto Plata that can help me not get gringoed, but she may want more then a friendship for sure. I do love the beaches up North. Maybe Santiago, is a happy medium of mountains and beaches not too far (been there twice, but short time). I looked up rentals in Costumbar, but they are like $700. I just need decent, clean, safe, ac and preferably able to walk places. I can control my food cost pretty well as I cook better then most restaurants, but I do like Vino, Presidente Lights, and dating women in their 40's. The goal is to keep all fixed cost( rent, insurance, eletricity, water, sewer, internet, telephone et.) under $1,000, and the rest for uber, entertainment and food. I do like beans, rice, fish, and chicken, eggs as stables.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I’m sure you meant to say historic building. The only towns in the east that still have colonial buildings are El Seibo and Higüey. I guess San Rafael de Yuma can ve added to the list despite Juan Ponce de Leon’s house is in a rural area near town. In the other two what exists are churches. That’s it.

The only eastern town that was founded on the coast when the DR was a part of Spain is Sabana de la Mar and it has zero buildings from the colonial era; not to mention that its in the northern coast of the east on Samana Bay.

I agree that Morey is an interesting and iconic building, but San Pedro is a recent town and most of its historic buildings were built during the first third of the 20th century.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I’m sure you meant to say historic building. The only towns in the east that still have colonial buildings are El Seibo and Higüey. I guess San Rafael de Yuma can ve added to the list despite Juan Ponce de Leon’s house is in a rural area near town. In the other two what exists are churches. That’s it.

The only eastern town that was founded on the coast when the DR was a part of Spain is Sabana de la Mar and it has zero buildings from the colonial era; not to mention that its in the northern coast of the east on Samana Bay.

I agree that Morey is an interesting and iconic building, but San Pedro is a recent town and most of its historic buildings were built during the first third of the 20th century.

Right, the buildings in San Pedro de Macoris are from early XX century. Nothing like compete with Colonial zone in Santo Domingo that is unique in whole America and is dated from XV Century.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Don't pay any attention to online rentals. They know that only Gringos look at this and you get the large "Gringo Price". You need to go on the ground and look, preferably with a Dominican you trust. Regardless of what is said here I would say that you can get a Studio or One Bedroom in Santiago that would suit your modest needs. And in a lot of other places better than S.P.

Also do look in Puerto Plata, especially on the outskirts.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I live in San Cristobal.

As a comparison, I have a nice 3/2 unfurnished for 200 a month. Lots of parking and shade trees, Controlled access (Electric gate)

I'm about 20 minutes from SD, and there are beaches fairly close by.

Motorcycles are everywhere, but not as bad as San Pedro.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What JD just posted is what I am talking about. Pay no mind to the naysayers and get out in the field. And when they tell you a price, you tell them yours with the cash on hand.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Right, the buildings in San Pedro de Macoris are from early XX century. Nothing like compete with Colonial zone in Santo Domingo that is unique in whole America and is dated from XV Century.
Definitely. Santo Domingo is the only city in the hemisphere that conserve all of its major buildings from the XVI century. All other Spanish American cities with colonial buildings, the buildings themselves date to the 1700’s and 1800’s with a few from the 1600’s. None conserve all of their major buildings from the 1500’s, except for Santo Domingo.

Santo Domingo is also the first city in the world where the Roman (from the era of the Roman Empire) city design and building codes were applied. This makes Santo Domingo the first city of the Renaissance, but most people ignore this because very few actually know about it, including very few historians. All cities in Europe that were applied the Roman codes was done after Santo Domingo was founded, not before.

Last edited:

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
I was curious if anyone lives there, as it seems its close to many other places, and has low cost of living. I am a single guy. Thanks,
San Pedro does have some apartments, some of which occasionally appear on airbnb; however, as others state, I prefer Juan Dolio. I like the Jumbo there, though.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
San Pedro does have some apartments, some of which occasionally appear on airbnb; however, as others state, I prefer Juan Dolio. I like the Jumbo there, though.

Agree.
A bit sleepy during the week, but much more secure and the beaches are fine.
You can get to San Pedro in 15 minutes- and the airport in about the same time.
Not the loud, raunchy and dusty mess you find in San Pedro most of the time.

Reactions: Joe Boots

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
SPM is the biggest Dirt hole on the island Filled with Motorcycles and trash and smoke from Motorcycles ... picture yourself living in a flies nest with Flies buzzing around head 24/7 that's how you will feel driving in SPM with the Motorcycles.
the streets are filthy and disgusting to live... its like a big city trash Dump...

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
SPM is the biggest Dirt hole on the island Filled with Motorcycles and trash and smoke from Motorcycles ... picture yourself living in a flies nest with Flies buzzing around head 24/7 that's how you will feel driving in SPM with the Motorcycles.
the streets are filthy and disgusting to live... its like a big city trash Dump...
I respectfully disagree. While it is no Juan Dolio--as I said previously--this description represents an exaggeration. There exists neighborhoods in Santo Domingo Este, such as El Amirante, far worse than parts of SPM. Moreover, the area around Saint Stephen's Episcopal Church in SPM cannot be so described 24/7. Central Park is not a trash dump. It needs work, but it remains far from dirty or filthy.

Last edited:

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Taylor I agree with you 100%.

And yes, I absolutely meant to say historical. Edificio Morey has a plaque with the year 1915 or 1919? on it. A few centuries off from colonial, but the potential of its former beauty remains.

Reactions: Riva_31