El Catey Airport Reopening?

drislandlife

Jul 4, 2018
Does anyone have any information about El Catey Airport Reopening to flights in from the USA?
Hope someone has some positive inside information.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Does anyone have any information about El Catey Airport Reopening to flights in from the USA?
Hope someone has some positive inside information.

No US airlines fly into here currently. You can fly in from Canada. You're out of luck if you were planning on flying from NYC to El Catey this Winter. No flights.

drislandlife

Jul 4, 2018
LTSteve, Thanks for the info. Do you know if there is any info about ever opening that airport back up to the USA? Thanks.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The airport is open to any flight from the USA, it is the airlines who choose not to fly there.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
If you are in a northern state just fly or drive to any one of a number of Canadian cities that fly direct to AZS.
Off the top of my head Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and Halifax all have direct flights to AZS. I am not sure if any western Canadian cities have direct flights.
Ottawa is just a 50 minute flight from NYC (I know it sucks to fly 50 minutes in the wrong direction but....).
I believe Air Transat is the only direct flight from Ottawa but Air Canada and West Jet do service most of the other cities mentioned.
The other downside to connecting in Canada is the weather in the winter but you get bad weather in many states this time of year too.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
El Catey airport is only just over an hour away by road (maybe 75 mins?) from Santo Domingo airport, so surely it is easier and cheaper to fly into SDQ and hire a car than to get a connecting flight.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
El Catey airport is only just over an hour away by road (maybe 75 mins?) from Santo Domingo airport, so surely it is easier and cheaper to fly into SDQ and hire a car than to get a connecting flight.

There are NO connecting flights from SDQ to El Catey. The original poster was asking if there were are direct flights from the US into El Catey. Since JetBlue discontinued it's flight from JFK no other airline has picked up the route. The cost of a ride from SDQ to Las Terrenas is around $180usd plus tip. Not cheap but worth the price if you are nervous about renting a car and driving.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You need one more coffee LT...

The connecting talk was to get to YYZ (or any eastern Cdn airport) to catch an AZS flight

But I agree.. SDQ and a road trip is easy

Apr 8, 2005
Is that $180USD roundtrip or one-way? I need a transfer from Las Americas to Santa Barbara de Samana in a few weeks. Thanks.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
It is a very very easy drive though from the Airport to Las Terrenas. The only place you will encounter any traffic at all is when you get to Las Terrenas. So I would recommend thinking about hiring a car. There is a public transport option. Depending on when your flight arrives, you could also get an airport taxi from SDQ to the Caribe Tours station at the start of the highway (very close so I guess maybe $ 5 dollars) then get the Caribe Tours bus to Samana (about US$ 8 per person). And from Samana another taxi to Las Terrenas (US$ 30?). Longer and more hassle, but way cheaper.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The tricky part is catching the right hand exit immediately after the toll booth.

It's poorly marked and small..... take it and keep going until Caribe Tours depot, then right again

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
The tricky part is catching the right hand exit immediately after the toll booth.

It's poorly marked and small..... take it and keep going until Caribe Tours depot, then right again

Yes agreed, and once you take that exit I think you have to turn again to get onto the marginal. GPS definitely needed.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It is a very very easy drive though from the Airport to Las Terrenas. The only place you will encounter any traffic at all is when you get to Las Terrenas. So I would recommend thinking about hiring a car. There is a public transport option. Depending on when your flight arrives, you could also get an airport taxi from SDQ to the Caribe Tours station at the start of the highway (very close so I guess maybe $ 5 dollars) then get the Caribe Tours bus to Samana (about US$ 8 per person). And from Samana another taxi to Las Terrenas (US$ 30?). Longer and more hassle, but way cheaper.

You don't want the Caribe Tours bus for the very reason that it takes you to Samana City and not LT. You can pick up the Transport Las Terrenas bus at the satellite bus station at the entrance to the Santo Domingo/Samana Highway and it take you directly to Las Terrenas. You would still need to take a taxi from SDQ to the bus station. If this is your first trip to LT I would strongly consider getting a taxi and going directly your destination. It is worth the price in saving you time and a huge hassle in trying to connect with buses in a country you are not familiar with.

Apr 8, 2005
Thanks everyone for the great responses! Actually, I am going to Santa Barbara de Samana (is this also called Samana City?). If I'm feeling confident and patient when I arrive at SDQ, Caribe Tours could be a good option. Thanks again.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Thanks everyone for the great responses! Actually, I am going to Santa Barbara de Samana (is this also called Samana City?). If I'm feeling confident and patient when I arrive at SDQ, Caribe Tours could be a good option. Thanks again.

Yes, Santa Barbara de Samaná is the capital city of the province of Samaná.

drislandlife

Jul 4, 2018
Anyone have any new news on how to get El Catey Airport from the USA? Anyone have any updates on flights coming in from the USA at all?