La Sirena meal

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i had a long day today, trying to locate a car for a DR1 member. i was beat when i got back to POP from Santiago, and had no leftovers for dinner. i decided to stop in at the La Sirena food court, and grab something on the fly. so, i ordered one of the only things still available at the time....chicken stew.

i did not watch them carefully while they were dishing it out..i just took it and made a beeline to the house. when i opened it, the first thing i noticed was that it looked like no chicken i had ever seen before. no legs, no thighs, no breast, no wings. i know what chicken stew looks like . i have seen enough of it in my 70 years.

i also know what chicken smells like. it does not have a fishy odor. i thought that maybe they might have put a bacalao spoon in the chicken, but the taste was not superficial. it tasted like no chicken i have ever eaten. so, after two bites, i stopped eating, because i do not know which animal i had been served. so, i gave it a close inspection, and i have no ideas which part of a chicken has the bones i saw. if i didn't have to go back to Santiago tomorrow, i would take it there and have them give me answers.

next time any of you have the jones for stewed chicken at La Sirena, keep this in mind.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
i had a long day today, trying to locate a car for a DR1 member. i was beat when i got back to POP from Santiago, and had no leftovers for dinner. i decided to stop in at the La Sirena food court, and grab something on the fly. so, i ordered one of the only things still available at the time....chicken stew.

i did not watch them carefully while they were dishing it out..i just took it and made a beeline to the house. when i opened it, the first thing i noticed was that it looked like no chicken i had ever seen before. no legs, no thighs, no breast, no wings. i know what chicken stew looks like . i have seen enough of it in my 70 years.

i also know what chicken smells like. it does not have a fishy odor. i thought that maybe they might have put a bacalao spoon in the chicken, but the taste was not superficial. it tasted like no chicken i have ever eaten. so, after two bites, i stopped eating, because i do not know which animal i had been served. so, i gave it a close inspection, and i have no ideas which part of a chicken has the bones i saw. if i didn't have to go back to Santiago tomorrow, i would take it there and have them give me answers.

next time any of you have the jones for stewed chicken at La Sirena, keep this in mind.

The only time I buy food in the supermarket cafeterias is at lunchtime (or slightly before) Same for Provocon BBQ chicken and then only things I recognize.

You're a brave man, my friend.. lol

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think I ate their once, but have blocked it from my memory.

Cafe Tropical in the same building as another supermarket just a short distance away is a far better option.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
It’s worth giving Coma en Familia a try on Dr Zafra about 3 blocks from the Malecon.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
In my opinion the food there is not like it used to be. Much worse. I try and avoid eating there now

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the food at Jose Luis is acceptable, but their pantry had already closed. i do not usually eat food on the street, but i was too beat to cook. i am sticking by my assessment that the meat in question was definitely not chicken, and not something i had seen before.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
It’s worth giving Coma en Familia a try on Dr Zafra about 3 blocks from the Malecon.

I can second this. Since many years, the only place we use to purchase meals, IF we purchase meals from outside, which we do seldom. I'm fine with the food, my wife too, but she avoids giving that food to our kids at all costs (just when she's really sick or we've not been home the whole morning/early afternoon and need meals fast...).

The business has a second location on Av. Hermanas Mirabal (the street starting from the rotonda in front of Jumbo and ending to Malecon).

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i am cured. never more am i buying prepared food. i will cook all my meals myself. if i can't, a sandwich will have to do..

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
when i opened it, the first thing i noticed was that it looked like no chicken i had ever seen before.

My neighbor here in Santiago has been missing her cat Fluffy for a few days now...
but I'm sure its just a coincidence :cheeky: