Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving from Bavaro to Bahia De Las Aguilas in one day?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Driving from Bavaro to Bahia De Las Aguilas in one day?

Hello everyone,

I have reservation in camping at Bahia de las Aguilas and currently planning my ride there from Bavaro.

As per Google maps, route distance is 521km (323mi) and Google predict 8hrs of driving. That sounds reasonable for me (I have 20 year driving experience and already did long distance rides 500+ miles per day, in winter/mountains/etc conditions). But I've never been in DR and not familiar with local driving specialities.

Questions to those who know that route - Is that real time or I should allow more time for this ride? Is that possible at all, not doing stop for a night somewhere in the middle?

Please share your experience.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, sounds about right. Bear in mind that crossing Santo Domingo is the least predictable leg of the journey because of traffic congestion. Bavaro-Santo Domingo takes about 2 hours 30 mins, Santo Domingo to Barahona takes about 3 hours, and Barahona to Pedernales/Bahia de las Aguilas should take about 2 hours.
    Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    Yes, sounds about right. Bear in mind that crossing Santo Domingo is the least predictable leg of the journey because of traffic congestion. Bavaro-Santo Domingo takes about 2 hours 30 mins, Santo Domingo to Barahona takes about 3 hours, and Barahona to Pedernales/Bahia de las Aguilas should take about 2 hours.
    Yes, the road from Barahora to Pedernales friends says is not very good one either, to skip bad trafic in Santo Domingo better arrive there before 7:00 am.

4. Likes KateP liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zima View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have reservation in camping at Bahia de las Aguilas and currently planning my ride there from Bavaro.

As per Google maps, route distance is 521km (323mi) and Google predict 8hrs of driving. That sounds reasonable for me (I have 20 year driving experience and already did long distance rides 500+ miles per day, in winter/mountains/etc conditions). But I've never been in DR and not familiar with local driving specialities.

Questions to those who know that route - Is that real time or I should allow more time for this ride? Is that possible at all, not doing stop for a night somewhere in the middle?

Please share your experience.

Thanks
    Zima, I was just there in September, and again about 6-months prior to that on motorcycles. Whatever you do, Do not under any circumstances try this drive at night, or dusk, or any poor visibility. Once you get to Barahona, if it is dark, or almost dark, under no circumstances should you drive further!! Stay the night, and continue in the morning!

There are several reasons for this;

1.) There are no Street Lights past Barahona!!

2.) There will be 100+ Speed Bumps before you get to your Eco Tent Lodge--which is very beautiful and isolated as you cannot imagine--but also very cool. (I have posted a brief video of the trip on Youtube).

3.) the highway is very narrow in places, caved in, and there are a dozen 180-degree off-camber turns in the middle of no where. No where!!

4.) There are hundreds of potholes....some so large that you can fall into them and emerge in China. No joke.

If you have any questions about this route, let me know. I try and do it once a year with friends on motorcycles. You couldn't pay me one million dollars to try this at night.

PS: Cobraboy can probably add a good deal more information. I would speak to him.

Frank

6. Likes PJT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone!

I already heard that night driving in DR is quite dangerous because of lack of street lighting, lack of head-/taillights on local cars and a lot of speed bumps and potholes. So I would try to depart as early as I can, maybe 6:30 - 7:00am (sunrise time) and plan to arrive there before sunset (should be at 6:30am in February). 10-11 hrs should be enough with stops for lunch/gas stations/etc.

Another question:

On my way back I will be driving from Bahia De Las Aguilas to Las Galeras. Google offer 2 routes:

1) Turn left before Santa Domingo, through Autopista Circunvalación de Santo Domingo (almost 10hrs driving).
    2) Turn left after Santa Domingo, through Autopisa de Nordeste (almost 8:30 driving)

I guess there's no way to avoid stopping for a night somewhere in the middle on this route.
    What will be the most interesting/comfortable place to overnight stop?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

No. 2 for sure. I assume that is the Nagua toll road just before the airport.

Post Thanks / Like

I also recommend option 2, and an overnight stay in the Zona Colonial in Santo Domingo. Interesting place to visit and there are several boutique hotel options but ensure they guarantee parking facilities.
    Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Plan accordingly

It has been about a year since PJT has traveled to the far SW and some of the road conditions may have changed. Having said that, it is best to depart Bavaro as early as possible in the am to give yourself an edge, ie: having daylight during the last legs of the travel. Traffic congestion in the big city is hell, no matter what time you arrive into greater Santo Domingo you are going to sit in place at times. Keep your car doors locked. It would be wise to find mid trip stops to overnight. Even the long timers do it for reasons of convenience and safety. The stress of driving in the RD can take a lot out of a seasoned driver/operator familiar with the driving culture. It is no picnic !

Be very careful and plan accordingly: Bring your own supply of paper, many facilities lack conveniences. Also, ask for help for the best exit route for departing Santo Domingo to the South, traffic signage sucks or is missing. As this one has mentioned it has been more than a year traveling to the area and some things may have changed. Travelers having recent experiences are best source to provide information. Help would be welcome.

Regards,

PJT

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I just drove a few months ago from Bavaro to Barahona in 5 1/2 hours. But I drive pretty fast when it is safe. If you leave at 6:30 AM though you will hit a lot of traffic when you get to SD that could really slow you down. Better to either bite the bullet and leave at 4:30 or leave at 7:45 AM. If you leave early you will make it easily well before sundown. Even stopping for lunch.

If you leave at the other option, you should still be there before sundown anyway. You will still get hit in SD with traffic, but nothing is worse than coming in the time you will arrive if you leave at 6:30. The other spot on the way you will not like is Bani, you go right thru the center of town on a small street. Of course there are some OK spots to stay in Bani if you like also.

Also Google maps will get you out of SD on the right road also. But it is a bit tricky, so pay close attention when in SD.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks PJT, Chirimoya and SKY!

I've heard a lot of bad things about Santo Domingo, so I will think twice about staying there overnight on the way to Las Galeras.

As for driving, I hope I can handle DR driving style (I'm living in not the best in terms of driving country). I'm going to depart at approx 7:00am and will be using Google Maps, as usual. By the way, is there map/navigation software with marked speed bumps (Policías acostado)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast