LasTerrenas(Renting in PlayaBonita)- DR first time 59+ couple: trip Feb.23 - Mar.9/19

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
Hi There,

I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone would give me some Las Terrenas info? I have been trying to find info on Trip Advisor but sometimes it's like pulling teeth! Any help would be much appreciated and I will be more than happy to provide a trip report after our vacation:

1. Approximate cost of purchasing Sim cards for hubby and I in Las Terrenas? I'm not sure how they work (are there different sizes based on how much data you think you would need during the two week period?) Sorry if I sound clueless because I am! lol I know we can take advantage of WhatsApp or WiFi but that will not be convenient for us all the time because we plan on sightseeing via rental car (am bringing a dash cam and paying for full insurance including "Casa de Conducteur") on a regular basis.

2. Best place to exchange money in Las Terrenas? Service Charge cost at ATMs and which ones are safest to use and daily withdrawal limits?? Being Canadians our dollar is not going to go far and I find it hard to decide whether it's cheaper to use a credit card (where possible), or cheaper to go to an ATM on a regular basis and pay cash over credit (possible discounts on using cash at some places?).

3. Suggestions on how to best prepare ourselves "language wise" since we do not speak spanish? We certainly don't want to come off as tourists who don't respect their mother tongue.

4. I understand there is a 28% tax added in many restaurants (possibly part of this tax is not necessarily a "law" requirement?). Any suggestions on good, moderate to inexpensive restaurants would be greatly appreciated. Also, where is the best place to purchase lobster as my husband and I will be cooking our own meals on a fairly regular basis?

Also, if there is a local/expat english speaking couple who wouldn't mind having a meal, drink, or even providing some periodic advice while we are there, that would be a big plus. This will be our "trip of a lifetime" as a couple so want to make the most of it.

Thanks in advance,

Winnipeg (Dawn and Jim)

P.S. Yup, we live in Winnipeg where it is currently -34 degrees celsius!

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Hi Dawn and Jim,
What I suggest is find a Claro store in L.T. and buy a prepaid Claro SIM card (100 pesos) Have them load it in your phone ( if you have a duel sim phone, then they will load it in the empty slot) and get the 1g Data / 30 day plan for 400 pesos. Total 500 pesos (US$10) will get you all the data you need for 2 weeks of internet with social media apps., and a local cell number if you need to make or receive any calls. You may get 50 pesos of minutes when purchasing the sim card, top up more if you like when making purchase, approx 100 pesos more. Make sure you have your passport to purchase the card, and remember in the DR when receiving calls on your DR SIM, you are not charged, only when you call out. As far as the size, not an issue as long as your phone has a SIM slot, and make sure they give you your Canadian SIM so you can store it safely and reload it when you leave.
With changing money, the best exchange location you will find as a visitor will be in any Western Union or Caribe Express. Many local banks will also provide a fair exchange as well. Again when going into a bank you will need to show your passport, however with WU and CE you can use your drivers licence. Not sure what the exchange rate is for Canadian $ vs. Pesos, but have that handy as there maybe street operators in L.T. that will also change currency for you. Not sure which airport you are flying into, but the ones I have seen are not very exchange friendly verses the locations and street operators that I have mentioned.
As far a language is concern, just download the Google Translation App on your phone before arriving in the DR. At the end of your trip, you will probably be surprised by how many locals you encounter that understand and speak English and or French. With your questions about restaurants and etc in L.T., someone who really knows the area will be better to answer then me.

Enjoy your vacation, and remember to bring some sun tan lotion. ;)

Last edited:

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
When I go to the DR I use mostly cash, depending where I am, but in LT it is easy to use the credit card at the restaurants and grocery stores. The exchange I get on my MC is pretty good. I get cash at the Scotiabank ATM - I have an account- maximum 10000 pesos - bank only service charge $5. I am leery of non bank ATMS as I have been scammed twice in the 15 years visiting DR - no money came out but still charged when I checked my account. There are lots of banks in LT. Last winter in LT we got a good exchange rate (38 DOP) at the casa de cambio on Duarte across from the Boulangerie Francaise. However I just got back from south coast and the CDN$ is down best rate was 34 DOP and most places gave 32 DOP.

Do you have a car as you are staying a ways from town? We went out to Playa Bonita on a moto concho and that is quite cheap. I have a contact for taxi, decent price and he speaks English if needed.

I'd recommend stopping here for a meal or visit. Manty is a great cook and Dan will give you lots of info and you will meet all sorts of people here. https://www.facebook.com/danandmantyshostel/

I loved the month spent in LT, last January, and would easily go back however my husband is from the south coast so we go there more often.

Enjoy!

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
Hi Dawn and Jim,
What I suggest is find a Claro store in L.T. and buy a prepaid Claro SIM card (100 pesos) Have them load it in your phone ( if you have a duel sim phone, then they will load it in the empty slot) and get the 1g Data / 30 day plan for 400 pesos. Total 500 pesos (US$10) will get you all the data you need for 2 weeks of internet with social media apps., and a local cell number if you need to make or receive any calls. You may get 50 pesos of minutes when purchasing the sim card, top up more if you like when making purchase, approx 100 pesos more. Make sure you have your passport to purchase the card, and remember in the DR when receiving calls on your DR SIM, you are not charged, only when you call out. As far as the size, not an issue as long as your phone has a SIM slot, and make sure they give you your Canadian SIM so you can store it safely and reload it when you leave.
With changing money, the best exchange location you will find as a visitor will be in any Western Union or Caribe Express. Many local banks will also provide a fair exchange as well. Again when going into a bank you will need to show your passport, however with WU and CE you can use your drivers licence. Not sure what the exchange rate is for Canadian $ vs. Pesos, but have that handy as there maybe street operators in L.T. that will also change currency for you. Not sure which airport you are flying into, but the ones I have seen are not very exchange friendly verses the locations and street operators that I have mentioned.
As far a language is concern, just download the Google Translation App on your phone before arriving in the DR. At the end of your trip, you will probably be surprised by how many locals you encounter that understand and speak English and or French. With your questions about restaurants and etc in L.T., someone who really knows the area will be better to answer then me.

Enjoy your vacation, and remember to bring some sun tan lotion. ;)

this advice for the sim card will work well, hope you have an unlocked phone - if you don't, find out how to unlock it when you leave Canada, or just buy an inexpensive unlocked phone that uses data before you leave, at walmart or somewhere. That has the advantage that if it gets wet or sandy or lost or stolen, you won't lose your personal Canadian phone.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
My wife and I will be in LT from Feb 8 to Mar 1st. We are from the Ottawa area( where it is only minus 18 at the moment) and would be happy to meet for a drink and a chat.
We are staying at the Alisie for the 6th winter in a row. It is on Playa Las Baleenas.
As for restaurants, there are a lot, but from my experience they all lack consistency. A great experience one night is does not mean a great experience the second night. Personally I really like Bon A'Petite but there have have been wide variations in service and quality.
A real little gem that I LOVE is El Delfin on the side street behind The Hotel Alisie. The food can be inconsistent but the owners Iasaac (from Nigeria via the UK) and Fredrikka from Italy are such nice people ,you have to try it.

As for money, I go to Scotiabank here in Canada and pre-order my pesos so that we never have to use a ATM while in the DR. I have had a bad experience.
Hope this is helpful.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
3. Suggestions on how to best prepare ourselves "language wise" since we do not speak spanish? We certainly don't want to come off as tourists who don't respect their mother tongue.

4. I understand there is a 28% tax added in many restaurants (possibly part of this tax is not necessarily a "law" requirement?). Any suggestions on good, moderate to inexpensive restaurants would be greatly appreciated. Also, where is the best place to purchase lobster as my husband and I will be cooking our own meals on a fairly regular basis?

3. no need to prepare yourself for anything. LT is a tourist spot and english (or french, even more so) is widely spoken. you'll be fine.
4. 28% charge is the norm. 18% is tax similar to VAT. 10% is a service charge and should not be applied for take-away meals. some restaurants may have taxes included in the price, this info should be printed on the menu.

there is no need to stress over a short trip. just chillax and enjoy your stay.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Hi. Like scotia, I generally use cash when I'm in the DR, whether in the capitol or in LT. I do, however, make sure I take a credit card as back up. There are two casa de cambios that I use. They are convenient and give a pretty good exchange rate. One is in the Paseo [the shopping area located just prior to turning off to head to the Alisei] and the other is on the main road going through the center of town, Calle Principale, just before you get to the Paseo [before the area where you'll find the motoconchos]. The restaurants along the beach road, also not far from the Alisei, are very good and there are a variety in terms of types cuisine. As for lobster, the fishermen sell their catch on the beach daily, so you are in the right place if you want fresh seafood, including lobster and shrimp. I'm heading back at the end of February and am already excited about returning. I've spent time in the DR and in LT for 15 years and I never tire of it.

Polar Bear

Jun 23, 2011
Hi Rumble. What kind of exchange rate do you get from your Canadian bank for pesos from CAD?

The recommendation I keep reading about is to convert your CAD to USD while in Canada, not at a bank but at an exchange house, and then change USD as needed into DOP. Or take a stash of USD cash but plan to use your bank card at a bank ATM. The rates are often excellent and it may be safer especially if you use you Scotia Bank card at their ATM in the DR.

As for money, I go to Scotiabank here in Canada and pre-order my pesos so that we never have to use a ATM while in the DR. I have had a bad experience.
Hope this is helpful.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have been doing this recently....10,000 pesos cost about $272CAD lately

There is a Cdn dollar exchange thread here

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
BermudaRum,

Thank you so much for the information. I can definitely see that purchasing the SIM cards from Claro.
Wish I'd gone to this site before this.

Dawn

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
Scotia,

Excellent information regarding money use and I appreciate your addition of the current exchange rate. I don't have a Scotia account (deal with TD) but assume the ATM charge won't be much more for us. I appreciate your comments on using a "bank" ATM. I recently did read on Trip Advisor that ATMs in the two large grocery stores were OK (due to security in the store). What do you think? And yes, we are renting a car, but in case for some reason we change our mind, I wouldn't mind your taxi contact.

Thanks,

Dawn

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
Thanks Westcan!

Didn't even think about the importance of using an unlocked phone (DAH) which ours are, but then that's why I'm in this forum.
:)

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
Rumble2005,

Playa Las Ballenas is one of the places that was on our short list of places to rent. We would love to meet up for a drink and chat once we get settled. I'm so glad you mentioned ordering pesos in advance as I did hear somewhere that this is possible. Problem is, how in the world do you decide how much to bring and how much "cash" (US, Canadian, etc.) are you allowed to bring into the DR?
Thanks a million for the info.
Looking forward to hearing back from you,

Dawn

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
Thank you dv8.
I appreciate he explanation on the tax and assurance that our pretty much non existent spanish won't be frowned on.

Dawn

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
Hi Polar Bear,

Glad you brought up this extra detail regarding money and exchanges. Changing Canadian to US and then exchanging US to pesos in DR seems to be the way many do it. I do like Rumble2005's suggestion to order pesos in advance (seems easier) so look forward to his response to both my and your replies.

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
Tarheel,

Trust me, we are paying for the electricity in our villa so this will be top of mind! ;) ( by the way, that symbol is supposed to be a winking emoji, don't know why my computer won't put in the actual symbol)

Dawn

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
RonS,

Glad to hear you have had good experience with the Casa de Cambios. I believe I watched a YouTube video (made by a guy from Sosua) who recommended them. My husband and I are looking forward to eating seafood during our trip. We sure don't have "fresh" seafood pickins hear in Winnipeg right now! lol
Thanks for the response,

Dawn

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
RonS,

Glad to hear you have had good experience with the Casa de Cambios. I believe I watched a YouTube video (made by a guy from Sosua) who recommended them. My husband and I are looking forward to eating seafood during our trip. We sure don't have "fresh" seafood pickins hear in Winnipeg right now! lol
Thanks for the response,

Dawn

You're more than welcome Dawn! I have found the exchange rate at the Casa de Cambios better than either the banks or ATMs. I'm betting that you will love LT! Enjoy!