Electric Chainsaw ?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Where do the sell electric chainsaws on the North Coast ?
I can order one for $90 off Amazon but it is probably $65 to ship here.
Just need to cut a few 10" limbs.
And do they call it a "Sierra de Cadena" ?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Check Linares in Cabarete.

After pricing out gas chainsaws on the north coast I ended up buying one on amazon. It's being shipped by boat and won't cost more than 2000 pesos in shipping charges.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's called motosierra. if you want an occasional garden use maybe consider renting a worker with one of these. green thumb maintenance company has such service. this way it's also someone else risking injury and death...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Check Linares in Cabarete.

After pricing out gas chainsaws on the north coast I ended up buying one on amazon. It's being shipped by boat and won't cost more than 2000 pesos in shipping charges.

Whose shipping it for so cheap ?
I don't want to mess with mixing two stroke gas which would sit six months at a time

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
it's called motosierra. if you want an occasional garden use maybe consider renting a worker with one of these. green thumb maintenance company has such service. this way it's also someone else risking injury and death...

Does Green Thumb climb ? Do you have a number for them ?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Does Green Thumb climb ? Do you have a number for them ?

here is a pic of their truck i took last year:

30c16o5.jpg

i see them in costambar frequently and they do all sort of garden maintenance. i think i have seen them with this basket thingy lift too. but give them a call and let us know.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I use Encargo Pak. When shipped by boat the price is based on size and not weight. Shipped by weight (air) would have been around $4500 pesos. Electric saws weigh much less.

You should really look at getting a 40 volt battery chainsaw. Reviews are excellent.

Sep 4, 2012
Any electrical chain saw would ever be comparable to a gas driven saw, not a chance. I've been cutting wood for years and my hands can testify of the power of a good chain saw.

Electrical is a non started - a good toy for very small limbs however.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Any electrical chain saw would ever be comparable to a gas driven saw, not a chance. I've been cutting wood for years and my hands can testify of the power of a good chain saw.

Electrical is a non started - a good toy for very small limbs however.

You got that right ..
Proud owner of 3 Stihl chainsaws.. and thinking about a 4th .
1)- A Pole Saw or Pruning saw , although Pricey , best investment in a saw I have ever made .. as it can easily reach Limbs like 15 Feet straight up . what a pleasure to just walk around a tree and prune it neat from below . Shoulder strap makes it easy to carry the weight . and it can easily cut through like 6" ,but safety is a major consideration with this saw .
This is definitely a Saw I would recommend to anyone who is pruning trees ..
but I guess you COULD get away with 40 Volt pruning saw ..its just not the same power though . no way
2)- An Arborists saw which can be used one handed .. but this is also a major safety consideration, as you can get too comfortable with it ..
3)- A monster 461, with 28" bar which can Fell almost any tree I need to take down.. definitely not a toy.

Stihl Chainsaws imo are the best out there .. nothing even comes close .
U can probably ship one down with the bar removed . dont see why not .

Pole saw would not be so easy to ship, . but would make you the envy of all your neighbors .

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You got that right ..
Proud owner of 3 Stihl chainsaws.. and thinking about a 4th .
1)- A Pole Saw or Pruning saw , although Pricey , best investment in a saw I have ever made .. as it can easily reach Limbs like 15 Feet straight up . what a pleasure to just walk around a tree and prune it neat from below . Shoulder strap makes it easy to carry the weight . and it can easily cut through like 6" ,but safety is a major consideration with this saw .
This is definitely a Saw I would recommend to anyone who is pruning trees ..
but I guess you COULD get away with 40 Volt pruning saw ..its just not the same power though . no way
2)- An Arborists saw which can be used one handed .. but this is also a major safety consideration, as you can get too comfortable with it ..
3)- A monster 461, with 28" bar which can Fell almost any tree I need to take down.. definitely not a toy.

Stihl Chainsaws imo are the best out there .. nothing even comes close .
U can probably ship one down with the bar removed . dont see why not .

Pole saw would not be so easy to ship, . but would make you the envy of all your neighbors .

are any of those electric?

torrock

Jun 5, 2006
I had the same mentality, that I only wanted a gas chainsaw, it's all I ever used.
Then my dad gave me an old electric chainsaw he didn't use anymore, that thing surprised the heck out of me ... used it for 2 full days cutting all kinds of trees 10+ inches wide.
No, it's not as powerful as gas and the cord is a pain in the butt, but I was still impressed with how it got the job done.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I had the same mentality, that I only wanted a gas chainsaw, it's all I ever used.
Then my dad gave me an old electric chainsaw he didn't use anymore, that thing surprised the heck out of me ... used it for 2 full days cutting all kinds of trees 10+ inches wide.
No, it's not as powerful as gas and the cord is a pain in the butt, but I was still impressed with how it got the job done.

I have had an electric chainsaw for probably 25 years. I don't doubt an electric isn't as powerful as gas driven but for work in the yard my electric has never failed me yet. I guess the largest limbs I have cut were 10" or so.

@OP if you place your order don't forget a heavy duty extension cord (if you don't already have one), an extra chain or two and the lubricating oil.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I use Encargo Pak. When shipped by boat the price is based on size and not weight. Shipped by weight (air) would have been around $4500 pesos. Electric saws weigh much less.

You should really look at getting a 40 volt battery chainsaw. Reviews are excellent.

The ryobi 40v system is well worth it for homeowner type stuff. the batteries are way improved over the stuff they had years ago.

Cords? We don need no stinkin' cords.

1hxnau.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The ryobi 40v system is well worth it for homeowner type stuff. the batteries are way improved over the stuff they had years ago.

Cords? We don need no stinkin' cords.

Big price difference between electric and cordless. How long will the battery that comes with the saw last? Does one also need to buy a second battery? I would base my purchase on several factors ............ how many times a year will it get used? will there always be an electrical power outlet within a 150 feet of the tree? Do I just want to spend $50 for a basic electric one or invest over $200 for cordless with spare battery?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i see them in costambar frequently and they do all sort of garden maintenance. i think i have seen them with this basket thingy lift too. but give them a call and let us know.

so i saw green thumb truck today and stopped to ask about the services offered. yes, they do have motosierras and they can do tree trimming but they are located in maimon and sosua is out of range for their regular work.

torrock

Jun 5, 2006
Big price difference between electric and cordless. How long will the battery that comes with the saw last? Does one also need to buy a second battery? I would base my purchase on several factors ............ how many times a year will it get used? will there always be an electrical power outlet within a 150 feet of the tree? Do I just want to spend $50 for a basic electric one or invest over $200 for cordless with spare battery?

Another decent option is to have a small generator (for when there's no outlet nearby)