Hi, fairly new to this subject, thinking about getting a retirement residency to live

johnnj2000

Mar 27, 2004
Hello everyone, I am thinking about retirement and getting a retirement residency and would like to know if anyone has gone through the experience ? . To the best of my knowledge I have heard that I would be allowed a shipping container to ship my things such as clothes, ,furniture, appliances such as washer, dryer, refridgerator, stove, etc as well as one motor Vehicle. My understanding is that the vehicle can be no more a six cylinder ? .I have many questions as to if this is all tax free? Can anyone with experience help me with regards to this issue?
I contacted a shipping company who deals with bringing containers there and he says that my 2014 Jeep Rubicon will be eligible to transport only until June of 2020 , then after will not be able to ship there?
I heard that getting information here in the Dominican Consulate office in NY City is a nightmare of incompetence. It has become for me a sort of serious time issue as I own a home here and need time to deal with things like cleaning out the clutter, fix, sell, etc , and also I bought my jeep Rubicon Wrangler brand new and as of now only had 12,000 miles on it and refuse to take a loss selling it. Anyone who has insight or experience they can share or direct me to valid and correct information, I would truly be greatly appreciated thank you all in DR1 ! 😊😊😊😊 HELP!!!!!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
To import your vehicle it can be no more than 5 years old. If you can get it here before then, great, if not, you'll have to do something else with it. It will probably take the better part of a year to get your residency application processed. You can't import anything tax free until that is done. You have one year from residency approval to take advantage of the tax waiver on imported used household goods.

The first part of the residency application happens in NY so you might want to make a friend in that office.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello everyone, I am thinking about retirement and getting a retirement residency and would like to know if anyone has gone through the experience ? . To the best of my knowledge I have heard that I would be allowed a shipping container to ship my things such as clothes, ,furniture, appliances such as washer, dryer, refridgerator, stove, etc as well as one motor Vehicle. My understanding is that the vehicle can be no more a six cylinder ? .I have many questions as to if this is all tax free? Can anyone with experience help me with regards to this issue?
I contacted a shipping company who deals with bringing containers there and he says that my 2014 Jeep Rubicon will be eligible to transport only until June of 2020 , then after will not be able to ship there?
I heard that getting information here in the Dominican Consulate office in NY City is a nightmare of incompetence. It has become for me a sort of serious time issue as I own a home here and need time to deal with things like cleaning out the clutter, fix, sell, etc , and also I bought my jeep Rubicon Wrangler brand new and as of now only had 12,000 miles on it and refuse to take a loss selling it. Anyone who has insight or experience they can share or direct me to valid and correct information, I would truly be greatly appreciated thank you all in DR1 ! 😊😊😊😊 HELP!!!!!

I have said this about a thousand times. The residency process starts in your home country. You will need to contact the DR Consulate office in NY and find out the requirements for documents that you need to submit to them for their approval BEFORE you bring these to the DR and hire an attorney to walk the paper work through the process. These documents include, Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage license and a criminal background check and others, translated into Spanish and appostillized for International validation. Of course, you can go on-line and get all the requirements and info that you need. I owned an apartment in Las Terrenas for about 6 years. Take this advise. Don't waste your time shipping furniture and for that matter a vehicle. Sell it and buy things in the DR. Your furniture probably won't work in the DR anyway. Your vehicle can't be ship after June 2020 so you would have to get this process done before then. You need to get residency before you can ship your personal items. The temporary residency process can take 6-12 months and will cost you at least $1500-2000 usds. You need to be prepared to be in the DR for a lot of this process. If you are that worried about losing money if you sell your vehicle than trade it in towards a newer one that can be shipped to the DR. Do you have experience living for any period of time in the DR? Where were you planning on living? Do you speak the Spanish language? Your best bet, at retirement time, is to go the DR for a few months and see if day to day living is for you. You're sort of putting the cart before the horse. Do your homework but you need to get boots on ground before you start worrying about all the detail. It's a whole different world when you live in a foreign country on a daily basis. Good luck.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Hello everyone, I am thinking about retirement and getting a retirement residency and would like to know if anyone has gone through the experience ? . To the best of my knowledge I have heard that I would be allowed a shipping container to ship my things such as clothes, ,furniture, appliances such as washer, dryer, refridgerator, stove, etc as well as one motor Vehicle. My understanding is that the vehicle can be no more a six cylinder ? .I have many questions as to if this is all tax free? Can anyone with experience help me with regards to this issue?.
The advice provided above is good. I suggest visiting the DR a few times prior to moving, and staying in different areas, e.g., Costambar, Santo Domingo, Juan Dolio, and so on. I presume that you speak Spanish, since you desire residency in a Spanish-speaking country. If not, you may desire to learn the language. It makes a difference. Last, you may desire to avoid insulting the consular folk in NY. You may need them at some point. I like the DR, but it is different from the U.S. in many respects. Read the board, and you will gleam this.

I heard that getting information here in the Dominican Consulate office in NY City is a nightmare of incompetence. It has become for me a sort of serious time issue as I own a home here and need time to deal with things like cleaning out the clutter, fix, sell, etc , and also I bought my jeep Rubicon Wrangler brand new and as of now only had 12,000 miles on it and refuse to take a loss selling it. Anyone who has insight or experience they can share or direct me to valid and correct information, I would truly be greatly appreciated thank you all in DR1 ! ???????????????????????? HELP!!!!!

you need to call your boy. ill send you a pm

Jan 7, 2016
You need to carefully consider your decision to relocate for retirement in the Dominican Republic. My wife and I are in the process of renewing our Pensioner's Residency for the 3rd time. Each time you renew, the rules change and become more and more restrictive and obstructive. They now require all retirees to have a minimum of $10,000 US in a dollar account in the D.R. which can cause all kinds of financial headaches for people who are also citizens of the U.S. This causes more headaches when filing your annual taxes in the U.S., and puts you in jeopardy of an audit because you have an over-seas bank account with more than $10,000 in it. There are much more retiree-friendly places to live in this world than here.

Reactions: johnnj2000

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If my wife wasn't Dominican I would have chosen Costa Rica or David, Panama for retirement, or even Colombia. I received my temporary residency in 2012 and after 3 temporary residencies I decide to go for citizenship. I have no regrets, no more paying money, no more visits to immigration, no more collecting paperwork and getting translation. No more crap at airports. Only hiccup in the whole process was the interpol report which everybody has problems with. I got a RCMP report and that was good to go.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
You need to carefully consider your decision to relocate for retirement in the Dominican Republic. My wife and I are in the process of renewing our Pensioner's Residency for the 3rd time. Each time you renew, the rules change and become more and more restrictive and obstructive. They now require all retirees to have a minimum of $10,000 US in a dollar account in the D.R. which can cause all kinds of financial headaches for people who are also citizens of the U.S. This causes more headaches when filing your annual taxes in the U.S., and puts you in jeopardy of an audit because you have an over-seas bank account with more than $10,000 in it. There are much more retiree-friendly places to live in this world than here.
DGM has approved folks with less than USD$10,000 in a local bank. The banks and some DGM folk are aware of this.