Estrellas Break the Curse

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The Estrellas Orientales of San Pedro de Macoris in the Béisbol Invernal (Dominican Winter League) last won the Championship in 1968. They broke the 51 year curse last night in La Romana against the Toros. I will post a source if possible to verify if that’s true, but they are saying schools will be closed in SPM for 5 days for the party to follow the win. Imagine what that malecón will be like for the next few days.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
WOW, that is something if they are really going to close the schools for five days.

SPM must be on happy city today ............. congratulations.............

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
One thing I noticed on dr1 is if the Aguilas aren't winning no one wants to talk baseball. LOL

Real nice to see a NEW Champion. If anyone has some pics of the festivities in SPM please post.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
WOW, that is something if they are really going to close the schools for five days.

SPM must be on happy city today ............. congratulations.............
Meh... They probably know it will take another two-thirds of a century to win again. lol

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I haven’t found anything reliable about school closures yet, but I’m sure the impending mayhem is well underway.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
It's sad they wont be able to play in the caribe series due to the issues in Venezuela. After 50 years they deserve to represent their country

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Serie del Caribe

There is still hope ................

The office of the Commissioner of the Confederation of Professional Baseball of the Caribbean, made official and "irrevocable" the decision to withdraw the Caribbean Series 2019, the city of Barquisimeto, Venezuela, this due to its political situation, so it will look for another country to take the event, which, is dated from February 4 to 9; Mexico moves away as an option.

https://www.contrareplica.mx/nota-Quitan-a-Venezuela-la-Serie-del-Caribe-de-2019201928147

Did someone say Panama?

https://www.elnuevoherald.com/deportes/beisbol/article225194415.html

Panama raises its hand and saves the Caribbean Series 2019 to be played with six teams

At the last minute, Panama raised its hand. The Caribbean Series 2019 will be held on canal lands to save an event in danger of not being played this year, after the original venue was removed to Barquisimeto, Venezuela.

According to the Confederation of Professional Baseball of the Caribbean, the tournament will be played from 4 to 10 February at the Rod Carew Stadium with the presence of six teams, the five usual ones in recent times plus the representation of the host country................

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Update ...................

https://www.tvinsider.com/749262/se...dule-caribbean-series-baseball-espn-deportes/

The 2019 Serie del Caribe will go on as scheduled, but it will take place in a different country than originally planned.

The Caribbean Confederation of Professional Baseball has relocated the 2019 Serie del Caribe (Caribbean Series) from Barquisimeto, Venezuela, to Panama City due to political and social unrest in Venezuela.

The tournament, which expands to six teams and has a group-stage format this year, will be played February 4-10 at Panama City's Rod Carew National Stadium and air on ESPN Deportes.

Teams and groups are:

Group A
Cuba: Leñadores de las Tunas
Mexico: Charros de Jalisco
Venezuela: Cardenales de Lara

Group B
Puerto Rico: Cangrejeros de Santurce
Dominican Republic: Estrellas Orientales
Panama: Toros de Herrera

SERIE DEL CARIBE: 2019 CARIBBEAN SERIES BASEBALL TV SCHEDULE
All games air on ESPN Deportes. All times Eastern/Central.

Monday, February 2
3/2c: Dominican Republic vs. Puerto Rico
8/7c: Mexico vs. Venezuela

Tuesday, February 5
3/2c: Cuba vs. Mexico
8/7c: Dominican Republic vs. Panama

Wednesday, February 6
3/2c: Cuba vs. Venezuela
8/7c: Panama vs. Puerto Rico

Thursday, February 7
3/2c: Mexico vs. Cuba
8/7c: Puerto Rico vs. Dominican Republic

Friday, February 8
3/2c: Panama vs. Dominican Republic
8/7c: Venezuela vs. Mexico

Saturday, February 9
1/noon: Venezuela vs. Cuba
7/6c: Puerto Rico vs. Panama

Sunday, February 10
4/3c: Championship Game: Winner Group A vs. Winner Group B

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
[video=youtube;mWa52FSedyg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWa52FSedyg[/video]

Search YouTube for Live games.

This may turn out nice with the addition of Panama in the Caribe Series. I have a funny feeling this with be a permanent addition.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Final Game

Panama vs Cuba

[video=youtube;72EmPyigrLg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72EmPyigrLg[/video]

Smart move by Panama to step up to the plate and host the Caribe Series with a stipulation Panama is allowed to play in the series. I think from this point on it will be a six team Caribe Series.

Sep 4, 2012
It was all set that way.

Its a shame that the Rod Carew stadium was so empty. Well, its usually that way - Panama isn't that big in Baseball anyways. I remember my days attending games in their regular season.