Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question About Leaving Through The Airport...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Question About Leaving Through The Airport...

In DR with over $10K USD in currency. Is it allowable? It looks like the export of currency rules allow for only a max of $10K USD equivalent per family. Is that correct?

Can you bring more than that amount with proper documentation to prove the funds?

The DGA form upon exiting only asks if one has over $10K USD...what the amount is and what form of currency.

Doesn't explain what happens thereafter....LOL.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You can leave with as much as you want. You just have to declare it.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    You can leave with as much as you want. You just have to declare it.
    Well that is what I initially thought is the case, but they make it sound like you can't take over $10K USD per family.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember to count any money in your wallet or pocket too, to add up correctly, I know a friend who was fined last year (actually in Canada) because his total cash on him was over what he declared on the form ... !

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

The $9999.99 or equivalent amount in all currencies is the per family maximum allowed without filling out a single purpose declaration form and presenting it to immigration/customs.

You may have as much cash as you would like with you, but if any amount over the limit is not declared all funds may be seized if discovered here in the DR or at the other airport upon arrival. An honest mistake usually results in a cash penalty based on the total amount of cash that was not declared, but not always.

If you declare the funds on your customs declaration card but do not make a declaration at the point of departure, you'll have some explaining to do but probably won't lose your cash as long as you can show where the funds came from.

Regardless $10,000.00 (or equivalent) in cash, or other banking instrument, is supposed to be declared prior to proceeding through customs at the point of departure when traveling internationally. Having a withdrawal slip or other means of documenting where the money came from is a good idea.
    Last edited by Cdn_Gringo; 01-28-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a bad idea on both ends. You could easily miss your outgoing flight due to a "back room" talk. And I can tell you that going to the US and checking the over 10k form will for SURE result in a not so nice "back room" talk. I know a few people it happened to in the US. Some for hours, not minutes either. Find another way to transport the cash. A check will do the trick. They will never see it if placed properly.

7. Likes cavok, JDJones, Uzin liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Incorrect thread

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    This is a bad idea on both ends. You could easily miss your outgoing flight due to a "back room" talk. And I can tell you that going to the US and checking the over 10k form will for SURE result in a not so nice "back room" talk. I know a few people it happened to in the US. Some for hours, not minutes either. Find another way to transport the cash. A check will do the trick. They will never see it if placed properly.
    I have a hard time convincing myself to carry cash ANYWHERE.

Folks have no idea who is watching them when they handle cash. I've lost count of how many persons I know of who have been robbed shortly before or leaving a bank.

I seldom have more than 2-3 thousand pesos in my pocket at any given moment to keep thieves happy if the rob me some day and the account my bank card is associated with has 2-3 as well.

If anybody wants to rob me they are more than welcome to whats in my pocket.

No offense Jimmy, Carrying 500K or more in cash is just plain crazy.

10. Likes KateP, caribmike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's no limit to bring money so far I know. However, $10k USD is a limit where you don't need declaration. Above that you'll have to declare your money or funds otherwise it might cause a serious issue for you.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I remembered now, he did not declare anything and had USD stashed on his person when exiting Canada, they searched him and found the money bag on him, he also had a couple of hundreds CAD in his wallet, so all added up over the permitted amount undeclared (USD10k), I think he was find CAD250.... (about the same amount he was over the permitted limit.. !!!?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast