Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Banks Open Duarte Day (28th) ?

Having a discussion with better half this am about bank openings. This one says banks are closed to honor Duarte Day of last Sat 26th. Need advice !

Regards,

PJT

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

duarte's day falls on his birthday, 26th of january and it is a non movable holiday. today is a regular working day.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you !

Regards,

PJT

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default So who was Juan Pablo Duarte?

Present-day Dominican Republic was long held by Spain as the colony of Santo Domingo, but it soon came under the control of Haiti after Haiti successfully rebelled against France in 1821.

Native Dominican Juan Pablo Duarte responded by organising a youth patriotic movement called “La Trinitaria,” and heavily financing the effort for independence. Other patriots joined with him in the cause, and independence was finally achieved in 1844.

Though offered the presidency, Duarte declined it in favour of a democratic election. Unfortunately, a dictator was elected and Duarte eventually died in exile due to differences with various rulers and power brokers in the country he helped to free.

The main event for Duarte Day is a ceremony in Duarte’s honour held in Santo Domingo’s Independence Park. The crowds are large and filled with patriotic fervor, and many tourists attend to catch a glimpse of Dominican culture and history.

https://publicholidays.la/dominican-...ic/duarte-day/

5. Likes bienamor, dulce liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Duarte Day is the only holiday that Dominicans celebrate without getting drunk(?).

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    I think Duarte Day is the only holiday that Dominicans celebrate without getting drunk(?).
    I don't see how that is possible.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Me either, but Saturday night was slow in Cabarete and a Dominican friend told me that they just have some parades in the capitol and other places on Duarte Day.

Last weekend for "Virgin de Altagracia(a religious holiday). Dominicans were getting absolutely smashed(literally and figuratively).

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Me either, but Saturday night was slow in Cabarete and a Dominican friend told me that they just have some parades in the capitol and other places on Duarte Day.

Last weekend for "Virgin de Altagracia(a religious holiday). Dominicans were getting absolutely smashed and plastered(literally and figuratively).