BUYING A NEW COMPUTER

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Good day to all,

Would anyone know where in Santo Domingo one could purchase a new Lenovo Laptop........I would use Amazon, but the Taxes wouls kill me........

Thank you.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Get a used Thinkpad T430 on Ebay, stick 16GB of ram and an SSD, and you're good to go! There won't be any taxes.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Good day to all,

Would anyone know where in Santo Domingo one could purchase a new Lenovo Laptop........I would use Amazon, but the Taxes wouls kill me........

Thank you.

If you tell your broker that the laptop is for educational purposes, the tax might be reduced. I only paid 10% tax last year for a new Acer through Amazon.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Good day to all,

Thank you.
You'll be paying taxes anyway, just indirectly.

It is difficult to find top-line laptops here, Apple excluded. You are better off guying the specs you need and want and paying the taxes. Since a box will last 5-7+ years, the amortized amount is minimal.

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
I was in Prodacomm in Santiago - just off Sadhala, the other day and a truck was dropping off a lot of Dell desktops. I bought one - a i5 quad core Optiplex 790. The price was 7,500 pesos. I can compile videos for youtube now in less than an hour. They had others for 2500 but I wouldn't get one of those.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was in Prodacomm in Santiago - just off Sadhala, the other day and a truck was dropping off a lot of Dell desktops. I bought one - a i5 quad core Optiplex 790. The price was 7,500 pesos. I can compile videos for youtube now in less than an hour. They had others for 2500 but I wouldn't get one of those.

the problem with many of those computers is the operating system...

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
the problem with many of those computers is the operating system...

True. Prior to upgrading, I had Windows 10 on a five year old then-mid-level rig. Fine with Word, but everything else was slow as molasses in winter.

Upgraded to a new Surface Book 2 last Thanksgiving, same OS. Supremely fast and effortless processing, (and everyone loves asking about the removable screen, lol.)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
True. Prior to upgrading, I had Windows 10 on a five year old then-mid-level rig. Fine with Word, but everything else was slow as molasses in winter.

Upgraded to a new Surface Book 2 last Thanksgiving, same OS. Supremely fast and effortless processing, (and everyone loves asking about the removable screen, lol.)

the thing is that places like megacomp buy truckloads of used computers from office sales in the USA. they get decent quality machines, but the drives are wiped clean, and arrive in the DR without an OS. so, the guys who get them instal some bootleg Windows, more often than not of the 32 bit variety. forget about trying to upgrade them..

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
You are right, the hard drive was wiped clean. I have installed Ubuntu and a bootleg copy of win 7. The windows number is on the case and I think you can install win 10.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

That's got Windows 10, right?

I've been wanting one of those for ages. I've been using 10 for over a year, and I still consider going back to 7.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

I've been wanting one of those for ages. I've been using 10 for over a year, and I still consider going back to 7.

There are several places all over the DR with guys that will install W7, W8, etc. on your machine. Price is usually 500 pesos for a Dominican and of course the Gringo pays 1,000 pesos. But well worth it to get rid of W10, and all the aggravation with it.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There are several places all over the DR with guys that will install W7, W8, etc. on your machine. Price is usually 500 pesos for a Dominican and of course the Gringo pays 1,000 pesos. But well worth it to get rid of W10, and all the aggravation with it.

Yep. I know that. If you have a PC that had 7 before you can do it yourself - it's not that difficult and if you get stuck Google is your friend.

I'm just trying very hard to get used to it, but my patience is running thin.

DRob do you mind telling us which model of Surface do you have?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

W10 is a fine OS, but the user interface is clunky. The W7 UI rocked.

Put Classic Shell on W10. The UI looks like W7, but the OS is W10.

And it is free.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
If you go W7, be aware that Microsoft support of W7 ends in January 2020.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Retro Start menu star Classic Shell heads out to pasture

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...-star-classic-shell-heads-out-to-pasture.html

After months of deliberation, I have decided to stop the development of Classic Shell…

There were few factors that led to my decision:

1) Lack of free time.

2) Windows 10 is being updated way too frequently

3) Each new version of Windows moves further away from the classic Win32 programming model… The new ways things are done make it very difficult to achieve the same customizations

It seems that the Win10 upgrade treadmill has claimed another victim.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
https://www.computerworld.com/artic...-star-classic-shell-heads-out-to-pasture.html

After months of deliberation, I have decided to stop the development of Classic Shell…

There were few factors that led to my decision:

1) Lack of free time.

2) Windows 10 is being updated way too frequently

3) Each new version of Windows moves further away from the classic Win32 programming model… The new ways things are done make it very difficult to achieve the same customizations

It seems that the Win10 upgrade treadmill has claimed another victim.
Still works for me.

There are other similar launchers available for W10 that emulate W7.