Map of Hispaniola

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Today's news speaks of Spain opening its archives to Dominican historians.

This reminds me -
I have been looking for a copy of an original map of Hispaniola... with no success

Map&Book stores have nothing but then I thought Spain will have something.... for sure

If anybody knows where I can find this -- please speak up.

Size isn't important with today's graphic technology - they can blow up anything.

I want a large one ultimately... for a wall.

Sooo , if anybody can help....

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Off el conde in SD there is a gift shop across from Plaza Colon almost across from Basilica main entrance. They have reproduction antique maps , old stamps and coins along with all the other thai gift junk. No clue as to the store name, maybe another poster can fill in the blanks.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Used to be a Mapas Gaar in Santo Domingo. If they still exist they should have that.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Today's news speaks of Spain opening its archives to Dominican historians.

This reminds me -
I have been looking for a copy of an original map of Hispaniola... with no success

Map&Book stores have nothing but then I thought Spain will have something.... for sure

If anybody knows where I can find this -- please speak up.

Size isn't important with today's graphic technology - they can blow up anything.

I want a large one ultimately... for a wall.

Sooo , if anybody can help....
The First Partial Map of the Island of Santo Domingo

The Oldest Map of the Island of Santo Domingo

The Names of Some Dominican Places in the XVIII Century

Official Map of Santo Domingo in 1785

The Changes to the Border on the Island of Santo Domingo

In the next few weeks or months many more old maps will appear on that site.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Ive heard a story that Samana wasnt connected to Hispaniola...Blackbeard knew the route and he would escape into Samana bay and the Spaniards couldnt find him, he would appear on the north coast in the Atlantic supposedly through a little known water route between Samana and Hispaniola.... old Maps seem to show this...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
sorry... I mean taken out of the frame.
I want to have it copied and blown up to a larger size

after - if - I buy it

Need to see it first

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Ive heard a story that Samana wasnt connected to Hispaniola...Blackbeard knew the route and he would escape into Samana bay and the Spaniards couldnt find him, he would appear on the north coast in the Atlantic supposedly through a little known water route between Samana and Hispaniola.... old Maps seem to show this...
When Christopher Columbus first sailed by that part of the coast, he named the strait that he sailed through, between Samaná and La Española, “Estrecho de las Flechas” (Arrows Strait). Samaná was inhabited not by Taínos, but by a small colony of Carib indians that ‘welcomed’ Columbus et al with a ‘shower’ of arrows with their points dipped in some natural poison.

According to Columbus, the strait was very shallow. Probably one or various earthquakes through the centuries eventually pushed the underwater ground high enough to become an isthmus.