Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dominican Ingenuity

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Now that is GENIUS..... yikes !!!!!!!!!!!

My watchyman has a radio ... no plug
    He sticks the 2 wires into the outlet.... Shazam !! Musica !!!!!!!!!!!
    Holy crap. I did something like that when I was 2 years old. Never did it again

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RockyM View Post
    Holy crap. I did something like that when I was 2 years old. Never did it again
    Lol, I did the opposite. Cut the electrical cord off the base of an old lamp. Then I plugged the cut cord in...WOW!!!!! (Wow in a bad way)

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

How about the umbrella repair men who collect the thrown away broken umbrellas repairs and sells them. too cool. also, first time I went to brasil saw a guy who took apart bic lighters and refurbished them.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
    My rental car's battery dies. A group of Dominican men gather around and then start stopping passing vehicles. Open hood, look, close hood, wave on. This happened about 10 times before there was a cheer. They told me to get in my car and turn the key and they flipped the other guy's battery upside down and touched the posts. Who cares about battery acid dripping all over the place. Fired right up. Its what you do when nobody carries jumper cables.
    my battery died in front of Juniors tire shop in Sosua,they ran and got a spare battery and two box wrenches and used the box wrenches as jumpers. I told them to put a new battery in the car,they didn't have the correct battery as the new one was too tall,they cut a plastic soda bottle in half and put it on top of the battery posts so the terminals would not touch the inside hood of the car (unbeknownst to me),first bump in the road I hit the battery hit the hood and boom!! sparks and of course the car stalled. I call them up they come to look at it,opened the hood and were going to take a huge hammer and pound on the inside of the hood and create the clearance needed,I stopped them just before they started pounding on the inside of the hood,what idiots.

5. Likes Farmer liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CristoRey View Post
    I once saw a prostitute in Sosua have a blow out with one of her flip-flops
    whist on an evening stroll down PC. She stopped for a minute, pulled a
    bobby pin out of her hair, heated it up with a lighter then pulled the strap
    tight through the bottom of the sole and pushed the hot bobby pin into it
    to secure the strap... and off she went.

Its no different in any of the other developing countries I've visited or lived in.
    I guess when you grow up without the means to replace things, you learn how
    to fix them out of necessity.
    That's awesome! In my line of work, they call that field-craft. It's a dying art to most developed countries, but a necessity (like you said) to lesser developed countries. That cracks me up! Make it work until the wheels fall off!!!! Another reason I love DR, the level of entitlement is so much lesser than 1st world areas. They know how to survive!

7. Likes nigrarosa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread!

9. Likes CristoRey liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw a guy run out of gas on his pasola. He stopped one of the concho cars, used a hose to suck gas out of the car into his mouth and then spit the gas into the pasolas tank until he had enough to get to the gas station. Then off he went.

11. Likes sylindr, jinty05 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12