Hot water

jwells616

Nov 26, 2018
Does someone know what it costs to add hot water to an existing shower with cold water only? I know they have heaters that attach above the shower nozzle. how expensive and what is involved? I would guess some simple wiring and the plumbing connection,

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
i think they are around RD$600 and attach to the shower head and heat up the water to either warm or hot. You need an electrician and given the electricity situation here it is wise to shower wearing rubber boots.

Matilda

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Had one of those several years ago. After the third ZAP!, I asked for it be taken down and went back to heating water on the stove.

Sep 4, 2012
Does someone know what it costs to add hot water to an existing shower with cold water only? I know they have heaters that attach above the shower nozzle. how expensive and what is involved? I would guess some simple wiring and the plumbing connection,

Proper way is by means of an electrical DHW, propane or Tankless On Demand.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Don’t waste your time or money, they don’t last. I think our was good for less than a week. We bought an on demand propane gas heater, was under $200 at Ferreteria Americana, my husband installed it himself.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Mine lasted for three months, then made a loud buzzing noise, melted and fell into the bath tub.

Matilda

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You'll need to run a water line from the hot water source to the shower, you will need a new faucet that mixes hot and cold water as the water from any normal water heater will be too hot to use on it's own. You will need either an electrical connection or a gas connection to the heater itself.

Not sure of your housing circumstances but if in a house with a yard, consider installing a complete outside shower as that could be easier than retrofitting the piping inside the house. For safety reasons, any electrical water heater needs to be no where near the shower or anywhere else where it can get wet for that matter and yes it needs to be grounded.

jwells616

Nov 26, 2018
i think they are around RD$600 and attach to the shower head and heat up the water to either warm or hot. You need an electrician and given the electricity situation here it is wise to shower wearing rubber boots.

Matilda
How do you wash your feet?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You'll need to run a water line from the hot water source to the shower, you will need a new faucet that mixes hot and cold water as the water from any normal water heater will be too hot to use on it's own. You will need either an electrical connection or a gas connection to the heater itself.

Not sure of your housing circumstances but if in a house with a yard, consider installing a complete outside shower as that could be easier than retrofitting the piping inside the house. For safety reasons, any electrical water heater needs to be no where near the shower or anywhere else where it can get wet for that matter and yes it needs to be grounded.

The OP was talking about a shower head which heats the water - no need to run from a water heater. It is hot water on demand as shown on this site https://www.amazon.com.mx/Electric-Alcachofa-instantánea-calentador-incluidos/dp/B01EEBSH78

Matilda

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
please listen to other posters and do not get that model that attaches to the shower head! I had one -- very very scary... found that soldiers in Iraq were being killed by them http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/28/soldier.electrocutions/index.html

Do you have a balcony? or even a sunny place under a window...?? The absolute low tech solution is the 5 gallon Sun Shower - which campers and sailors have used for a long time...Coleman makes one for $12..

(please do not shower on the balcony. Use the balcony only to heat the sun shower. I only post this in case - well - you seem to be a newbie and might think I was giving some sort of advice on the way things are)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I know a fair bit about electricity and I'm sorry, but I don't care if it is UL /CSA rated, I would never install an electrical appliance in a shower or bathtub in my home country and can't even bring myself to entertain such foolish an idea in this country.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I know a fair bit about electricity and I'm sorry, but I don't care if it is UL /CSA rated, I would never install an electrical appliance in a shower or bathtub in my home country and can't even bring myself to entertain such foolish an idea in this country.

But at least you know what it is now, and thousands use it as it is cheap.

Matilda

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
If your water preasure is low the electric ones that attach to the shower pipe will burn out after a short time. They will overheat. I have had more than one. I later got an on demand propane model that had a water preasure booster pump in line. that model has been going for more than 6 years.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
You'll need to run a water line from the hot water source to the shower, you will need a new faucet that mixes hot and cold water as the water from any normal water heater will be too hot to use on it's own.

We have a 12 gallon electric water heater (placed in the utility room of the house), and while it does get the full 12 gallons of water burning hot, if we run it just for a certain period of time, it of course does not get that hot, and you could potentially feed the water just via one line to the bathroom and not have water coming out of the faucet that's too hot. This might take a bit of controlling, but if we don't need a lot of hot water, we do this occasionally.

I would never install an electrical appliance in a shower or bathtub in my home country and can't even bring myself to entertain such foolish an idea in this country.

Yes, same here. No offense to the OP, but I would never install anything like this, in any country. Bringing electricity even close to water just makes me nervious...

Sep 4, 2012
Wow, I truly admire those of you who dare to use such device.

I'm also dazzled at the fact that unless one is in a land far, far away, there isn't a logic reason any expat would live under such conditions.

The day I have to put myself to live under such miserable conditions here, is the day my butt will hit the door on my way back home.