President of Spain in the DR

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Pedro Sánchez, the president of Spain, was in the DR on an official visit. Last year Queen Letizia made an official visit too, and King Felipe did a couple of non-official visits.

Why is it that Spanish leaders give the DR a symbolic act of respect year after year, yet the US president can’t be bothered to make just one one-day official trip to Santo Domingo? Never has a US president stepped on Dominican soil while in office!

Next year a new president will be inaugurated and, judging by all other Dominican presidential inaugurations, the King of Spain will be present on the day the new Dominican president takes office. I’m willing to bet the US president will ‘forget’ to travel for the occasion, as all US presidents have done since the DR and the US have diplomatic relations.

The worst part is that Washington DC is so close compared to Madrid. A one day trip is very possible for any US president. This is ridiculous.

Anyway, here is Spain once again showing support and demonstrating an act of respect for tiny DR. Pedro Sánchez was welcomed with all the honors, including the firing of cannons by the military upon his arrival at the National Palace.

[video=youtube;G_GREFswL60]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_GREFswL60[/video]

I’ll the president of China will visit the DR before (and if ever) the US president does. Like I said before, this is ridiculous on the part of the US.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
We don't need the US President here to pollute the Island anyway.............

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Pedro Sanchez went to Mexico after visiting the DR.

[youtube]z24N8fec2Gs[/youtube]

As for what would the DR gain from the visit of a US president, the answer is very simple: a diplomatic recognition of mutual respect. Many Dominicans thought Obama was going to be the first US president to visit the DR while in office, considering many considered him ‘the most Dominican-looking president the US ever had.’ Now Trump is in office and nothing changed in that aspect.

So close to the US and yet...

I definitely think its very inconsiderate towards a country that while small has been one of the most consistent supporter of the US and Americans in general. Obama visited Cuba, Jamaica, and Trinidad and Tobago. His wife visited Haiti as First Lady. For those places they had time, but apparently there’s no time for the DR.

Oh wait, Obama did send the Vice President. He visited for 24-hours to pressure the DR on the Haitian issue with the regularization plan.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here is the video that didn’t imbed in the previous post.

[video=youtube;z24N8fec2Gs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z24N8fec2Gs[/video]

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Cheers
c819e8fb43ad80dca51e3a1a9bf37813.jpg

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
Oh wait, Obama did send the Vice President. He visited for 24-hours to pressure the DR on the Haitian issue with the regularization plan.

Perhaps that right here should be a warning that maybe it's better we don't get presidential visits from the U.S., especially under open-border-loving Democrat administrations;

However, I'll concede that if Trump were to visit, we might have a better shot since he has a tough stance on illegal immigration and has business interests in the DR, I hope he would be sympathetic to our plight with illegal Haitian immigration *shrugs*

dalethefarmer

Jan 27, 2014
"open-border-loving Democrat administrations" is a conservative propaganda term and moreover, a fallacy. Inform yourself before spouting 'talking points' of empire, or stick to DR dynamics, much simpler and the point of this forum. Carry on.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Images of the visit at the National Palace.

46005121175-0d4f5c77aa-z-d.jpg

31978334397-6b42a29413-z-d.jpg

33044117678-4e0aa8e2dd-z-d.jpg

46195600304-b43c54cf24-z-d.jpg