Price Excursions

Harry

Apr 29, 2002
High Price Excursions

Hallo

Why do people ask so much money for excursions , we want to take al te excursions but with this prices , at least 50 US a person we can not go on more than 2 .
If we do te same here in Europe , Spain for one , tourist wil stay away or stay on te ressort grounds(atleast tourist from Europe)
I think it is better on the long run to ask for half te price so normal familly's can take all or atleast more excursions to see the wonderful country so there will be more tourists leaving te ressorts to visit more of te country and this can only be good for te Dominic people .

Regards
Harry
Belgium

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Re: High Price Excursions

Harry said:
Hallo

Why do people ask so much money for excursions , we want to take al te excursions but with this prices , at least 50 US a person we can not go on more than 2 .
If we do te same here in Europe , Spain for one , tourist wil stay away or stay on te ressort grounds(atleast tourist from Europe)
I think it is better on the long run to ask for half te price so normal familly's can take all or atleast more excursions to see the wonderful country so there will be more tourists leaving te ressorts to visit more of te country and this can only be good for te Dominic people .

You can hire a car and driver for 700 pesos ( From Boca Chica, e.g.) for a round trip to Santo Domingo and 3 hours of waiting time for say 3 or 4 people which is only $50 US in total with tip. And see the SAME thngs and shop at El Conde at the SAME stores and just DON'T take the tours. I don't blame you for not paying such high prices.

The only thing the tours do is attend to the bus and the guide and the lunch if provided and you will find that to many destinations with 3 or 4 people you can do the same trips on your own for less. Buy a good guide book - HIGHLY recommended is MOON's guide to the DR and take a car and rad the book and see the sights on your own.

Harry

Apr 29, 2002
I Agree

Only problem is to drive by yourself , pretty dangerous over there , a car with full insurance cost about 1000 pesos a day (puerto plata), if you do not take te ful insurance and get in a accident you can even get in jail if you dont have te money to pay for te damage.
Even if you take te bus (wich we are going to) you pay to visit laguna gri-gri 600 pesos just to go by boat true te laguna .
People think we are rich because we come one holiday but te dont now we have to pay for a house car etc.......so we are just like them , at te end of te mond we have nothing left !
10 years ago isla margarita was a very nice place to stay until prices of hotels and excursions going up , we went there last year , it is a deserted island now !
I hope people on te domincan republic wil not make te same mistake .

Harry

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I've noticed the price of excursions

has gone up dramatically in the last two or three years and they were over-priced to begin with. I can understand the rising costs but come on....from $50 US to $85 US in a years time!!
Sounds like highway robbery to me and just one more reason tourists are looking for cheaper places to visit!
we're fortunate in that we have a car and are also friends with some of the taxistas so hire them for larger groups to go our own way but I can't see paying some of the excursion prices when it's much cheaper to get to know some people and make up a group and hire your own transport and guides.