Living in Santo Domingo

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
If you live in the Zona Colonial and need "basic stuff" you have to travel to the west of the city every time? Utter nonsense. There is a huge Supermercado Nacional and a Cuesta in the Conde, next to Sederias California. And there is a big Sirena and the fruit and veg market just a few minutes' walk from the Zona. It's really annoying how people who don't live in an area pretend they are experts on it.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The author wrote:

Zona Colonial – Amazing, but if you need a gym or basic stuff you’re going to have to come to the western part of town all the time. Also the prices here are very high, unless you choose something rustic you’re looking at around $1000+/month rent.

Los Cacicazgos – A quiet neighborhood, next to the amazing Mirador del Sur park.

Gascue – More rustic, but closer to la Zona Colonial and with lots of vegetarian/vegan restaurants.

Naco/Piantini – One of the more upscale neighborhoods in Santo Domingo but also really jam packed with traffic. It’s loud and busy but close to everything.

Bella Vista – This is my favorite area because it’s quieter and next to the park, supermarkets, and gym.

Say what? I don't even know where to start................... SMH

Island Dragon

Feb 2, 2019
Someone Actually use coroto or even Facebook groups to get where to live in SD?

Also, I disappointed with the fact that the autor doesn't mention Aprezio...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
#1 travel destination in the country to visit? That sure doesn't say much about the rest of the country.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The author wrote:

Zona Colonial – Amazing, but if you need a gym or basic stuff you’re going to have to come to the western part of town all the time. Also the prices here are very high, unless you choose something rustic you’re looking at around $1000+/month rent.

Los Cacicazgos – A quiet neighborhood, next to the amazing Mirador del Sur park.

Gascue – More rustic, but closer to la Zona Colonial and with lots of vegetarian/vegan restaurants.

Naco/Piantini – One of the more upscale neighborhoods in Santo Domingo but also really jam packed with traffic. It’s loud and busy but close to everything.

Bella Vista – This is my favorite area because it’s quieter and next to the park, supermarkets, and gym.

Say what? I don't even know where to start................... SMH

Except the part about the ZC, I don’t think it’s that far off. Spot on on Piantini / Naco, los Cacicazgos and Bella Vista.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I know the young girl who's trying to make her mark and monetize her stay in the Dominican Republic. even I told her most of her information is really bad. So shes been seeking help to get her blog info correct. Shes even trying to do tours around the island. I wish her the best but yeah she knows the info isnt the best.

Nov 22, 2017
Author here!

Hi! Author here. Thanks everyone for reading my blog, where I share my travel insights and personal reflections. Please remember it's not a Lonely Planet text book or the New York Times with a paycheck + team + editor. Those are the things, I personally (again it's a blog) recommend and that post in specific like I wrote, for a beginner moving to SD. Of course, it's not an all comprehensive guide to everything in Santo Domingo or like I said, I'd be dedicating the next year and lots of funds to writing it as a book and it wouldn't be free (unlike this personal travel blog).

tropicalpaul - As for the zona colonial comments, yes it's obviously livable as I have friends happily living there, but for those who need specific doctors, better gyms, more options for basic types of shopping/day-to-day stuff, you may likely find yourself traveling outside of la zona and the Ubers to "downtown" are about $5 each way. So my *recommendation* is to find another place near "downtown" if those things apply. Obviously there's a Nacional (I've walked past it a million times) and tons of other options all around la zona. I wrote the blog post casually and wrote "all the time" as a casual way of speaking "Yo voy para el gimnasio todo el tiempo" doesn't always literally mean I go to the gym literaly all of the actual time. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to hire an editor to proofread my personal blog posts into being a NYT article instead of a casual post. But that's why they are free and I'm not getting paid for them.

Alexw -- I don't know any foreigner named Alex living in DR. I have no idea who you are so please don't lie saying you "know" me. 2nd, "the young girl" -- really? Lastly, I've never had a conversation with anyone who told me "most of [my] information is really bad" so, again, stop lying. As for "monetizing" my stay, that's a really interesting way of saying I have a job I love in my OWN country. If you're on my FB, FB group, or IG, please block me and my platforms :) I don't need that mal de ojo in my life. There's constructive criticism and input, and then there's a weirdo on the internet claiming to others that he knows me and thinks all my stuff is "bad". If my stuff is so bad, why are you all up in my business? Reading my stuff and following my tours? Block me, Alex.

islanddragon - FB groups and corotos -- yup. I know people who've found roommates/apartments on there.

Mauricio - thanks

cavok - k

bobsaunders - thanks

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Hi! Author here. Thanks everyone for reading my blog, where I share my travel insights and personal reflections. Please remember it's not a Lonely Planet text book or the New York Times with a paycheck + team + editor. Those are the things, I personally (again it's a blog) recommend and that post in specific like I wrote, for a beginner moving to SD. Of course, it's not an all comprehensive guide to everything in Santo Domingo or like I said, I'd be dedicating the next year and lots of funds to writing it as a book and it wouldn't be free (unlike this personal travel blog).

tropicalpaul - As for the zona colonial comments, yes it's obviously livable as I have friends happily living there, but for those who need specific doctors, better gyms, more options for basic types of shopping/day-to-day stuff, you may likely find yourself traveling outside of la zona and the Ubers to "downtown" are about $5 each way. So my *recommendation* is to find another place near "downtown" if those things apply. Obviously there's a Nacional (I've walked past it a million times) and tons of other options all around la zona. I wrote the blog post casually and wrote "all the time" as a casual way of speaking "Yo voy para el gimnasio todo el tiempo" doesn't always literally mean I go to the gym literaly all of the actual time. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to hire an editor to proofread my personal blog posts into being a NYT article instead of a casual post. But that's why they are free and I'm not getting paid for them.

Alexw -- I don't know any foreigner named Alex living in DR. I have no idea who you are so please don't lie saying you "know" me. 2nd, "the young girl" -- really? Lastly, I've never had a conversation with anyone who told me "most of [my] information is really bad" so, again, stop lying. As for "monetizing" my stay, that's a really interesting way of saying I have a job I love in my OWN country. If you're on my FB, FB group, or IG, please block me and my platforms :) I don't need that mal de ojo in my life. There's constructive criticism and input, and then there's a weirdo on the internet claiming to others that he knows me and thinks all my stuff is "bad". If my stuff is so bad, why are you all up in my business? Reading my stuff and following my tours? Block me, Alex.

islanddragon - FB groups and corotos -- yup. I know people who've found roommates/apartments on there.

Mauricio - thanks

cavok - k

bobsaunders - thanks

I've spoken to you several times via Facebook and yes you are a girl. And you're actually in some groups where we have constantly corrected your awful information where you're also begging for apartment information or to borrow umbrellas. Am I lying about that too. Hell you sent me a friend request. Be mad all you want but put on your big girl panties and deal with it. Btw lol at your country. Child please! Dont come on here acting so tough when you're trying your hardest to make a buck on a country you barely know. You know the truth stings. Even after being correct about Zona Colonial here you're still trying to be defensive about your awful info. Hell there's an awesome medical clinic right in Zona Colonial. I would tell you the name but youd run to write it in your little awful blog. Bye Gerry.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Hell there's an awesome medical clinic right in Zona Colonial

As a long time resident of the colonial zone and ciudad nueva. I'm wondering where your awesome clinic in the zona is because if your talking about clinica abreu (not awesome but very good) that's in ciudad nueva the other would be abel gonzales it's ok but not awesome and last but not least is the public hospital on Padre Billini which is closed for many reasons. anything else your outside the zone and into Gazcue.

wont talk about the truly awesome like CEDIMAT or HOMS in Santiago

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
As a long time resident of the colonial zone and ciudad nueva. I'm wondering where your awesome clinic in the zona is because if your talking about clinica abreu (not awesome but very good) that's in ciudad nueva the other would be abel gonzales it's ok but not awesome and last but not least is the public hospital on Padre Billini which is closed for many reasons. anything else your outside the zone and into Gazcue.

wont talk about the truly awesome like CEDIMAT or HOMS in Santiago

So you're basically telling me that I should agree with what your opinion of awesome is and not mine, eh?

Okkkk

Regardless you dont have to travel west like the author stated and the rent was way off

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This thread is a perfect example of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". :laugh:

If I'm going to be hospitalized in SD, you better believe my first choices are Cedimat and Abreu. Others may disagree, and that's okay, just silly to argue about it.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
If we are talking about where to live and where to get things done in Santo Domingo, then we also definitely need to mention Santo Domingo Este where you can often find shops and services much more reasonably priced, and where there are several areas that an expat should consider to live if they are looking for good value and relative safety. Also we should mention the markets area of Duarte and Villa Consuelo, both are amazing if you are looking to get things built or made with some great fabric and furniture stores. You can choose your fabric, pick a sofa design from a photo and a couple of days later it's all made - something which would be impossible in a first-world country. Villa Consuelo is also currently the place to go for the trendiest clubs. Sure if you want KFC and Taco Bell and to feel just like you're in Miami, then take the author's recommendations and head for Naco or Piantini. But this city has way more to offer.