Ex-Pat Fatigue

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This is talked about elsewhere in the world but I think we all know waht it is....

My best cure is an airport..

Agreed - we all get 'worn down, short tempered.. fact of life in the 3rd (OK 2.5) world

But then, when you least expect , along comes a nice pick-me-up

I had one this afternoon

WIFE'S CAR
needed the annual oil/filter change and tire rotation... ordinary stuff
I have a man in RSJ who does mine - Javier by name... fluent English

You would have thought I was Jackie Stewart in an F1 race...
In/Out in 15-20 minutes.

Oil/Filter/Labor 1400 pesos
Tires flipped 200
Done like dinner

Not even time to fetch a beer across the street

Sometimes life's easy here

Reactions: Bob Boyd

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
It sure beats calling the DEALER like here in the states , and getting the earliest appointment a MONTH OUT , for a Problem which should not exist in the first place , on a BRAND NEW CAR no less ..

Nice to hear you got such good Service ... Sure sounds a lot less stressful in many ways .

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I can be sooo easy here... getting help
seriously....

Yes, I agree. The key is that once you find a professional you can actually really trust, the rest goes just fine. And despite what many people say, there are plenty of hard-working honest people here, but you need to find them. They might not be the first one who calls you "ma frien" on the street. We have a few different people, who never let down, and we use them for their profession/service since years. If they cannot do it, we do it ourselves or just wait when they can...

Reactions: Russell

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
This is talked about elsewhere in the world but I think we all know waht it is....

My best cure is an airport..

Agreed - we all get 'worn down, short tempered.. fact of life in the 3rd (OK 2.5) world

But then, when you least expect , along comes a nice pick-me-up

I had one this afternoon

WIFE'S CAR
needed the annual oil/filter change and tire rotation... ordinary stuff
I have a man in RSJ who does mine - Javier by name... fluent English

You would have thought I was Jackie Stewart in an F1 race...
In/Out in 15-20 minutes.

Oil/Filter/Labor 1400 pesos
Tires flipped 200
Done like dinner

Not even time to fetch a beer across the street

Sometimes life's easy here

Almost worth a trip to RSJ - where is he located ?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Josh
Agreed - I have built a network and rarely stray from it...
Same colmados regularly
Mechanic in Nagua and Cabrera and RSJ... all with different skills to choose from

Medical & Dental
... the works.

Once it's established - it runs smoothly
and they appreciate the regularity..... honest people, as you say

I've been worked over... live, learn move on

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Was thinking the same. I select a date convenient to me (other than Mondays, of course), get a loaner (generally an upgrade), they regularly keep me informed. Nowadays, I insist on having warranties for the serious stuff, but the maintenance is actually very reasonably priced. They've been very good to me, and I remain loyal to them.

Also, as it can't be said enough times, in terms of buying a car in the DR, there's no better option than DR1's very own "the Gorgon" for having it sourced and fully checked out.

He's got a ton of great reviews for his services, and is as good as they come.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Also, as it can't be said enough times, in terms of buying a car in the DR, there's no better option than DR1's very own "the Gorgon" for having it sourced and fully checked out.
I dunno.

Seems to me the "best option" is knowing how to look for, evaluate and buy a car for yourself without third-party assistance.

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
I dunno.

Seems to me the "best option" is knowing how to look for, evaluate and buy a car for yourself without third-party assistance.

More than that is provided. Some people do not want to be bothered driving around from dealership to dealership, looking at tons off inventory. Having someone narrow down the search , for me, was worth the price of admission.

On top of that, If your knowledgeable about buying a car, its still great to get a second opinion. When I needed back surgery, I went to arguably, the best spine surgeon in the United States. I still went for a second opinion, just incase he missed something. In the US Normally when buying a used car its always advisable to bring it to a mechanic. Is it not? (Unless maybe your a mechanic...) Would that not be even more important in here??

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Josh
Agreed - I have built a network and rarely stray from it...
Same colmados regularly
Mechanic in Nagua and Cabrera and RSJ... all with different skills to choose from

Medical & Dental
... the works.

Once it's established - it runs smoothly
and they appreciate the regularity..... honest people, as you say

I've been worked over... live, learn move on

Never trust a mechanic from the country just West of Argentina is my motto.....and yet I see some suckers still dropping cars off at his place.
He worked me over......

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not easy finding the right connections.... that's for sure

As for a mechanic - I had several references... and they were right as it turned out

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Someone should monetize a Blog and put in reputable service providers in the Dominican Republic for expats. I'd pay for that service

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
CB
he has a ton of diagnostic tools... to go 'behind the curtain'

Not that yours aren't 'built in'...... Cobra Boy !!!!

and 'NO' ... most don't know how to do it
This Car Concierge stuff is big business in the US....
to obviate crooked used car salesmen