Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘Off the beaten path’ solo trip to the DR?

Post Thanks / Like

Default ‘Off the beaten path’ solo trip to the DR?

I’m trying to plan a solo trip to the DR, but it’s not your ‘typical’ trip. My main motive is to look for wildlife (tarantulas, snakes, etc.) so I can photograph them. I’d like to avoid the pricey hotels and stay at cheaper hostels if possible.This isn’t my first time traveling solo, I went to Ecuador last year in August for a month or so. Was just wondering where exactly would you recommend me visiting? Where should I stay away from? Any tips/warnings? Thanks!

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

We get tarantulas and boa constrictors where we live in the north west mountains. I don't think this is tarantula season as not seen any for a couple of months. There are hostels I know of in Santo Domingo, the Colonial Zone, but doubt much wild life there. Maybe Dan and Manty's hostel in Las Terrenas as plenty of countryside around there. https://web.facebook.com/danandmantyshostel/

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only Forum
    www.DR1.com

3. Likes Polar Bear liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    We get tarantulas and boa constrictors where we live in the north west mountains. I don't think this is tarantula season as not seen any for a couple of months. There are hostels I know of in Santo Domingo, the Colonial Zone, but doubt much wild life there. Maybe Dan and Manty's hostel in Las Terrenas as plenty of countryside around there. https://web.facebook.com/danandmantyshostel/

Matilda
    Thanks for the reply! Is that area safe to travel to by yourself? And are you able to walk around in the country side/wilderness areas, or will police stop you?

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phormic View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Is that area safe to travel to by yourself? And are you able to walk around in the country side/wilderness areas, or will police stop you?
    Yes it's very safe and you can walk in the countryside - just use common sense and don't be covered with gold and loads of high tech goodies. The hostel is full of backpackers and Dan can give you advice about where to go.

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only Forum
    www.DR1.com

6. Likes Polar Bear, Garyexpat, beachcomber liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phormic View Post
    I’m trying to plan a solo trip to the DR, but it’s not your ‘typical’ trip. My main motive is to look for wildlife (tarantulas, snakes, etc.) so I can photograph them. I’d like to avoid the pricey hotels and stay at cheaper hostels if possible.This isn’t my first time traveling solo, I went to Ecuador last year in August for a month or so. Was just wondering where exactly would you recommend me visiting? Where should I stay away from? Any tips/warnings? Thanks!
    You are in luck !!!
    In my campo you can rent a room for 150 pesos-200 pesos a night......( under 5$ )....... and the upside is you wont even have to leave your room to take pics of the creepy crawlies

Post Thanks / Like

Would using a camera to photograph any of the animals I find be okay? Or would that attract unwanted attention?

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

Common sense. You are wandering around alone, possibly in proximity to some serious poverty. Don't be that guy with 4 cameras dangling off your body, RayBan sunglasses, $100 baseball cap, sports jersey and $150 sneakers.

Be polite and courteous to those you meet, but don't befriend any of them no matter how helpful they say they can be.

Tell someone at your hotel where you are going and when you will be back each day.

10. Likes Dr_Taylor liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Only wild life I've seen in my 7 years of living here walks
    on two feet and sometimes ask for handouts. She ain't all
    sunshine and pretty beaches... that's for sure.

12. Likes Auryn liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

When I went to Saltos Altos in Bayaguana I noticed what looked like a really nice ecotourism hotel.

I recently stayed in an eco tourism place just outside of Moncion. The grounds were beautiful. The sleeping accommodations left a lot to be desired.

One thing to be very aware of is using repellant. I arrived in shorts and within minutes and was attached by mayes bugs. I then applied repellant but it was too late. I had an allergic reaction amd the bites became infected which led to several hours in the ER. Amd several doctors office visits bc the infection is lingering. Mostly likely bc I didnt finish my meds.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.booking.com/hotel/do/helpa.es.html

Place looks amazing. The water fall is vert close as well and on beautiful grounds!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast