‘Off the beaten path’ solo trip to the DR?

phormic

Feb 1, 2019
I’m trying to plan a solo trip to the DR, but it’s not your ‘typical’ trip. My main motive is to look for wildlife (tarantulas, snakes, etc.) so I can photograph them. I’d like to avoid the pricey hotels and stay at cheaper hostels if possible.This isn’t my first time traveling solo, I went to Ecuador last year in August for a month or so. Was just wondering where exactly would you recommend me visiting? Where should I stay away from? Any tips/warnings? Thanks!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
We get tarantulas and boa constrictors where we live in the north west mountains. I don't think this is tarantula season as not seen any for a couple of months. There are hostels I know of in Santo Domingo, the Colonial Zone, but doubt much wild life there. Maybe Dan and Manty's hostel in Las Terrenas as plenty of countryside around there. https://web.facebook.com/danandmantyshostel/

Matilda

phormic

Feb 1, 2019
We get tarantulas and boa constrictors where we live in the north west mountains. I don't think this is tarantula season as not seen any for a couple of months. There are hostels I know of in Santo Domingo, the Colonial Zone, but doubt much wild life there. Maybe Dan and Manty's hostel in Las Terrenas as plenty of countryside around there. https://web.facebook.com/danandmantyshostel/

Matilda

Thanks for the reply! Is that area safe to travel to by yourself? And are you able to walk around in the country side/wilderness areas, or will police stop you?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks for the reply! Is that area safe to travel to by yourself? And are you able to walk around in the country side/wilderness areas, or will police stop you?

Yes it's very safe and you can walk in the countryside - just use common sense and don't be covered with gold and loads of high tech goodies. The hostel is full of backpackers and Dan can give you advice about where to go.

Matilda

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I’m trying to plan a solo trip to the DR, but it’s not your ‘typical’ trip. My main motive is to look for wildlife (tarantulas, snakes, etc.) so I can photograph them. I’d like to avoid the pricey hotels and stay at cheaper hostels if possible.This isn’t my first time traveling solo, I went to Ecuador last year in August for a month or so. Was just wondering where exactly would you recommend me visiting? Where should I stay away from? Any tips/warnings? Thanks!

You are in luck !!!
In my campo you can rent a room for 150 pesos-200 pesos a night......( under 5$ )....... and the upside is you wont even have to leave your room to take pics of the creepy crawlies ;) ;)

phormic

Feb 1, 2019
Would using a camera to photograph any of the animals I find be okay? Or would that attract unwanted attention?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Common sense. You are wandering around alone, possibly in proximity to some serious poverty. Don't be that guy with 4 cameras dangling off your body, RayBan sunglasses, $100 baseball cap, sports jersey and $150 sneakers.

Be polite and courteous to those you meet, but don't befriend any of them no matter how helpful they say they can be.

Tell someone at your hotel where you are going and when you will be back each day.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Only wild life I've seen in my 7 years of living here walks
on two feet and sometimes ask for handouts. She ain't all
sunshine and pretty beaches... that's for sure.

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
When I went to Saltos Altos in Bayaguana I noticed what looked like a really nice ecotourism hotel.

I recently stayed in an eco tourism place just outside of Moncion. The grounds were beautiful. The sleeping accommodations left a lot to be desired.

One thing to be very aware of is using repellant. I arrived in shorts and within minutes and was attached by mayes bugs. I then applied repellant but it was too late. I had an allergic reaction amd the bites became infected which led to several hours in the ER. Amd several doctors office visits bc the infection is lingering. Mostly likely bc I didnt finish my meds.

phormic

Feb 1, 2019
Thanks for the help so far guys!

What are your opinions on visiting Las Galeras and Bani? I did some reading and cane across some conflicting info, some say it’s not safe unless you’re with a Dominican others say it’s fine to travel by yourself

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Thanks for the help so far guys!

What are your opinions on visiting Las Galeras and Bani? I did some reading and cane across some conflicting info, some say it’s not safe unless you’re with a Dominican others say it’s fine to travel by yourself

You won't have any safety problems in either place. But I would pass on Bani and go to Las Galeras.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You won't have any safety problems in either place. But I would pass on Bani and go to Las Galeras.

I have never seen a snake in Las Galeras, but snakes are elusive creatures. I have seen numerous tarántulas there though.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The time of the year when we were there was April and there seemed to be a few walking in the open just before dusk( after the sun went down).

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I would say the Samana peninsula is a better bet, with plenty of vegetation for snake and tarantula hunting. Beautiful beaches, great landscape and three good spots to stay in - Las Terrenas, Las Galeras and Samama - all very different. Bani is to the west of Santo Domingo, large town but more violence and drugs so I would stay away from there. Great mangoes though!

Matilda

phormic

Feb 1, 2019
I would say the Samana peninsula is a better bet, with plenty of vegetation for snake and tarantula hunting. Beautiful beaches, great landscape and three good spots to stay in - Las Terrenas, Las Galeras and Samama - all very different. Bani is to the west of Santo Domingo, large town but more violence and drugs so I would stay away from there. Great mangoes though!

Matilda

Got it thanks! Do you think it would be possible to go with a guide to Bani to make it safer? A friend visited there and found some interesting animals there so it’s high on my list. But if it is that dangerous, I’ll stay away!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It is not THAT dangerous - just is the current centre for drug trafficking as the military swamped the east, more traffickers landing by boat between Bani and Barahona - hence wise to stay away. Can think why interesting animals more likely to be there than elsewhere. Barahona area is also a bird watchers' paradise and home to flamingos, iguanas, crocodiles and the like.

Matilda