Restaurants in colonial zone

Island Dragon

Feb 2, 2019
I go to the colonial zone in a few days and I want to know about restaurants and places that sell food in the colonial zone (and cheap if it posible), 'cause I have a trip and wanna not die of hunger during that trip trough the zone.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Colonial Zone.... does NOT = cheap. You will have to do a lot of looking around and you will die of hunger before you find... cheap.

Pet'e Palo comes to mind as being the best food to go broke on. But worth it.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Colonial Zone.... does NOT = cheap. You will have to do a lot of looking around and you will die of hunger before you find... cheap.

Pet'e Palo comes to mind as being the best food to go broke on. But worth it.

he needs to define cheap! and what he is looking for.

Luis on the malecon is ok and not super pricey. some other's are ok Barra Masion etc.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
There are plenty of inexpensive eateries and small colmados on and around El Conde and in the Zona. You won't go hungry.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Uh, yeah I forgot to say that cheap= 200-300+ RD$

A little most especific.

200 - 300 might be tough but add a few pesos more and you can find enough spots to last a few days for your visit. No need to hit the higher end places unless you just want to treat yourself for a night.

Grands (Pacos) on el conde across from parque independencia

Dumbos located on independencia on a 45 degree angle off to the left standing at Grands (Pacos)

Fairly decent Chinese restaurant off on a 45 degree angle to the right standing at Grands (Pacos)

Pollo Victorina on el conde

Villar Hnos you can walk to from the zona if you don't mind a good walk (google the location)

Keep your eye open for a comedor serving plato del dia

Pizza Hut and Papa Johns on Gomez a few blocks below avenida bolivar

Manolos restaurant across the street from the rear entrance of Hotel Jaragua

Just west of Manolos is a nice restaurant serving grill roasted chicken

el nacional supermarket on el conde has small packages of prepared hot food

yes, several I mentioned are not in la zona but as I mentioned if you don't mind a good walk and also get a chance to see other parts of the area you should be fine dining in the 400 pesos price range.

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I go to the colonial zone in a few days and I want to know about restaurants and places that sell food in the colonial zone (and cheap if it posible), 'cause I have a trip and wanna not die of hunger during that trip trough the zone.

The Hotel El Conde de Penalba has a great open air cafe with good food at a reasonable price. You won't find much for 200-300rds but a great place to people watch. This hotel is located at the very end of El Conde in Columbus Square.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I hope I can get the directions right...

there is a nice looking - very Dominican - restaurant on Calle des Hostas above (N) of the conde on the east side
If you see Meson de Bari.... on the west side... you've missed it
Backtrack half a block or so.... other side of the street

Bird - you know this one ??

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I hope I can get the directions right...

there is a nice looking - very Dominican - restaurant on Calle des Hostas above (N) of the conde on the east side
If you see Meson de Bari.... on the west side... you've missed it
Backtrack half a block or so.... other side of the street

Bird - you know this one ??

Would that be Meson de Luis? Directly across the street from what was Hotel Mercure side entrance? A very small place but from what I remember many years ago served a decent plate of food.

Once again, a good healthy walk up calle duarte will bring you to china town. No need to explain what type of cuisine you will find here. Delicia Campestre restaurant always gets good reviews.

Island Dragon

Feb 2, 2019
200 - 300 might be tough but add a few pesos more and you can find enough spots to last a few days for your visit. No need to hit the higher end places unless you just want to treat yourself for a night.

Grands (Pacos) on el conde across from parque independencia

Dumbos located on independencia on a 45 degree angle off to the left standing at Grands (Pacos)

Fairly decent Chinese restaurant off on a 45 degree angle to the right standing at Grands (Pacos)

Pollo Victorina on el conde

Villar Hnos you can walk to from the zona if you don't mind a good walk (google the location)

Keep your eye open for a comedor serving plato del dia

Pizza Hut and Papa Johns on Gomez a few blocks below avenida bolivar

Manolos restaurant across the street from the rear entrance of Hotel Jaragua

Just west of Manolos is a nice restaurant serving grill roasted chicken

el nacional supermarket on el conde has small packages of prepared hot food

yes, several I mentioned are not in la zona but as I mentioned if you don't mind a good walk and also get a chance to see other parts of the area you should be fine dining in the 400 pesos price range.

Yeah, Just in case I need to mention that I am not a tourist and live in SD

Btw, thanks for the sites I don't mind walk a litle just for eat something. Also pollo victorinas still alive? Has been years since the last time I eat in pollo victorina

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
jajajaja, pollo victorinas will be at that same location until Columbus returns. :)

Not a Pollo Victorina its Pollo Rey there on el conde. Other than the name you may be right. its outlasted McDonald,Burger King, and Rico which was on the corner 1 block up from El Conde/Paco's or Grands as now known. Only thing I know thats been around as long is Petrus next to Plaza Lomba

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Not a Pollo Victorina its Pollo Rey there on el conde. Other than the name you may be right. its outlasted McDonald,Burger King, and Rico which was on the corner 1 block up from El Conde/Paco's or Grands as now known. Only thing I know thats been around as long is Petrus next to Plaza Lomba

You are correct, I stand corrected. They all look the same. LOL

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Another survivor is that fairly large restaurant just west of Romas. They put out the buffet type plato del dia everyday and have daily specials. Food ain't all that great but if your stomach is growling they will do in a pinch.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Would that be Meson de Luis? Directly across the street from what was Hotel Mercure side entrance? A very small place but from what I remember many years ago served a decent plate of food.

Once again, a good healthy walk up calle duarte will bring you to china town. No need to explain what type of cuisine you will find here. Delicia Campestre restaurant always gets good reviews.

I think that's right....both are 'Mesons'.....

good catch Birdy

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Ignore this post, already been answered.

Another survivor is that fairly large restaurant just west of Romas. They put out the buffet type plato del dia everyday and have daily specials. Food ain't all that great but if your stomach is growling they will do in a pinch.

............ Only thing I know thats been around as long is Petrus next to Plaza Lomba