Why Americans don’t found a social club?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
One thing I have asked myself a few times is why the American community that lives in the DR doesn’t create its own social club. The Spaniarda founded the Casa España in Santo Domingo and the Centro Español in Santiago. Both have many amenities and sports infrastructure, in addition to promoting Spanish culture. Both have mostly Dominican members.

The Catalans have their own social club in Santo Domingo, but its not as nice as the ones for Spaniards as a whole.

The Arabs formed their own Club Sirio Libanés Palestino in Santo Domingo. While they have an uphill battle attracting the Arabs that live in the country, they are growing quite nicely. A nice way to promote Middle Eastern culture. Again, most members are Dominicans.

With a relatively large American presence in Santo Domingo and on the north coast, I’m perplex why there is no interest in founding an American social club in the country. Perhaps there is one and I don’t know about it.

Before anyone says it, I know the Santo Domingo Country Club was founded by a group of Americans, but its not an ethnic social club in the way the Spanish and the Arabs created. If anythig, SDCC is more of an exclusive Dominican club with Dominican values and culture dominating.

Anyone, particularly Americans, know why despite a relatively numerous American presence, the American community has not created its own social club?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Personally, I don't see any need to. In fact, the last thing I want to do is hang out in a club with a bunch of other Americans. If I could find a good salsa club, I'd join that.

I have American friends, Canadian friends, and Dominican friends. Good enough for me.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2012
Because Americans do not think that way. Americans aren't such elitist thinking group.

In the DR, that is how people "roll," everything is about separation and elitism - that style of life isn't existent in the USA culture.

Being part of these clubs make people in them feel superior and important, what a waste.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I really don't understand the ethnic/nationalistic type clubs. Seems very "cliquish" to me. I think some of these people find it hard to "blend in" and are looiking for refuge within their own group.

Sep 4, 2012
I really don't understand the ethnic/nationalistic type clubs. Seems very "cliquish" to me. I think some of these people find it hard to "blend in" and are looiking for refuge within their own group.

Majority of them are filled by Dominicans - some, descendant of the ethnic group the club was created after but usually this group is the minority. Get the oxymoron on that?

Dominicans are a separatist and elitist culture; everything is about me, myself and I.

Americans had one pre-selected group but didn't work out to well for them - the KKK, LOL

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
One thing I have asked myself a few times is why the American community that lives in the DR doesn’t create its own social club.
I thought that Skull and Bones had an away tomb in Naco. :squareeye

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Definitely a lot of Americans on the north coast and in SD too. But I would agree that the "elitist" attitude doesn't apply, so the desire for this type of clique isn't a concern in a tropical paradise. Although maybe not as concentrated, the same would go for Brits and Canadians as well.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It is just like Woody Allen said: "I would not belong to any club that would have me as a member".

A lot of truth there.

Of course he also said: "My girlfriend brought up the subject of children yesterday, but I convinced her they would be too young".

But apparently not Soon-Yi

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
One thing I have asked myself a few times is why the American community that lives in the DR doesn’t create its own social club. The Spaniarda founded the Casa España in Santo Domingo and the Centro Español in Santiago. Both have many amenities and sports infrastructure, in addition to promoting Spanish culture. Both have mostly Dominican members.

The Catalans have their own social club in Santo Domingo, but its not as nice as the ones for Spaniards as a whole.

The Arabs formed their own Club Sirio Libanés Palestino in Santo Domingo. While they have an uphill battle attracting the Arabs that live in the country, they are growing quite nicely. A nice way to promote Middle Eastern culture. Again, most members are Dominicans.

With a relatively large American presence in Santo Domingo and on the north coast, I’m perplex why there is no interest in founding an American social club in the country. Perhaps there is one and I don’t know about it.

Before anyone says it, I know the Santo Domingo Country Club was founded by a group of Americans, but its not an ethnic social club in the way the Spanish and the Arabs created. If anythig, SDCC is more of an exclusive Dominican club with Dominican values and culture dominating.

Anyone, particularly Americans, know why despite a relatively numerous American presence, the American community has not created its own social club?

Just curious? Are you from the United States? I get the feeling, between this post and the last one you posted on an American President not visiting the DR that something is bugging you?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Because Americans do not think that way. Americans aren't such elitist thinking group.

In the DR, that is how people "roll," everything is about separation and elitism - that style of life isn't existent in the USA culture.

Being part of these clubs make people in them feel superior and important, what a waste.

I agree with the above assessment. I never would have thought of creating such a club.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Canada Dry Ginger Ale is being/was being sued as no ginger can be found in the product. The labeling will probably have to be changed as a result. For me Black Velvet is my Rye of choice on days when there is nothing to watch on tv but 18 hours of steroid infused athletes adjusting their crotch while wearing tights.

Social clubs usually spring up in locations where minority groups feel the need to facilitate the socializing among people who share the same cultural heritage or cultural interests and cannot find that experience elsewhere in the location. Immigrant Italians for example, will often establish clubs to offer broadcast sporting events or movies from their home country that are not readily available without costly satellite service. These clubs often offer dinners, dances etc so that Italians can come together and share a communal perspective based experience among Italians without the pressures or niceties expected when among the general public.

North American's don't seem to reflect as much about culture and often have a hard time defining their own cultural heritage when asked. In north America, the social club has morphed into the "Private Gentlemen's Club" or a generic members only club, if you will, so named for those who are offended by the word gentlemen. Often reserved for the affluent male professionals within society as a place to meet for business, leisure and relaxation without the chance of rubbing up against anyone with grease on their coveralls and those who wear a skirt in public and constantly mumble, "inappropriate" at least six times an hour.

Golf clubs and country clubs are an offshoot of these private members clubs offering some events that have nothing to do with golf or the concept of "the country" while bringing together those with a shared communal interest far removed of the societal shackles of the outside world.

I can't speak to the desire or popularity for Dominican Clubs within the DR but would certainly understand such a need in say New York, where Dominicans with some stature could get together and informally discuss how best to beat the system over a glass of vintage Mamajuana while watching baseball and filling out visa applications for everyone they know, for a price.