What was burning in the area of Cabarete?

Basementality

Nov 12, 2017
I felt the smell of burning yesterday. This morning the whole yard, the windows, the whole house in the Ashes.
Something was burning badly yesterday!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Heck the ash reached Los Cerros too. My pool is covered. More work to clean.....nuts. But I don't think it was in Cabarete. Maybe a big brush fire inland somewhere ? As the wind was coming from the Southeast.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The natives were burning the rain forest again to flush out the big game for the upcoming festival BBQ.

Just kidding.

Periodically the brush is set on fire. This time it seems like it was near the lagoon in Cabarete, but hard to tell from my location out by Kite Beach. Just got done cleaning it out of my pool.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Lots of ash still being carried on the wind at mi cassa west of Sosua. I believe I can smell burning and the hills not too far away are quite hazy so they or someone else may be at it again.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
They do it every year. My watchyman tells me they burn the vegetation on the lagoon to drive out the turtles to eat them.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
If the landfill is burning, the smoke is probably toxic and it could last a long time. I'm coming to Sosua in about a month for a vacation; hopefully it will be out by then. I wouldn't want to breathe any of that smoke.

Last edited:

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Could be almost anything. Garbage, forests, fields..... You name it!!
maybe the native peasant owned chicken shops in sabaneta are burning up all the trash they have thrown out their windows, only to come to rest below their residences for whats seemed to be an eternity.Disgraceful. Its about time to, all garbage dumps should burn off from time to time. i dont know how the peasants live like this

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
“Peasants”???
What does that make you? A Lord? A Knight? A Squire? A Page? A Serf?
(Or just another out of touch ex-pat?).

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
“Peasants”???
What does that make you? A Lord? A Knight? A Squire? A Page? A Serf?
(Or just another out of touch ex-pat?).

It doesn't take a Lord or Squire to be appalled by thrash. I' am another who finds the tossing of trah everywhere to be the worst habit this country has (followed closely by driving habits).
Poverty is not an excuse for throwing trash in your own yard.