2 unrelated questions

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
1. About the poop cisterns, or whatever those things are called... large underground containers where black waters accumulate. They are topped by a lid cemented in. There is also what they call a grease trap ahead of those containers for water from the kitchen. Now sometimes bad odor comes from the grease trap back up into the house. Someone tells me that an aerator is needed... that aerator is like a pipe coming out of the poop pool to hummm... aerate....All of a sudden I am worried... methane explosion??? How is this suppose to work really?

2. check engine light keeps coming on every time fuel tank is filled. The fuel cap is tighten well every time. I keep paying the mechanic to check the code and clear the check engine light. Every time he says you are wasting your money and my time. There is nothing wrong. Your car is fine. It happens all the time. Do I believe him?

Thank you !

Jan 9, 2004
1. About the poop cisterns, or whatever those things are called... large underground containers where black waters accumulate. They are topped by a lid cemented in. There is also what they call a grease trap ahead of those containers for water from the kitchen. Now sometimes bad odor comes from the grease trap back up into the house. Someone tells me that an aerator is needed... that aerator is like a pipe coming out of the poop pool to hummm... aerate....All of a sudden I am worried... methane explosion??? How is this suppose to work really?

2. check engine light keeps coming on every time fuel tank is filled. The fuel cap is tighten well every time. I keep paying the mechanic to check the code and clear the check engine light. Every time he says you are wasting your money and my time. There is nothing wrong. Your car is fine. It happens all the time. Do I believe him?

Thank you !

#2. What is the code being recorded each time it happens? That is the first place to start.

How old is the car/fuel cap? The symptoms indicate a vapor pressure problem (leak) somewhere..........and if tightening the cap does not do the job, perhaps you might want to try replacing the cap itself.

Or do what most Dominicans do..........ignore the light altogether.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
or... as was my case.... it means poor gas.

Try a tank of premium....
I use 50/50 -- reg/prem.... no more light

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
1. Yes a campo sceptic tank made by the local boys will have a PVC pipe sticking out of it to get rid of excess gasses.
Whereas a more professionaly built one will not be apparent------ they are "camoflaged"------- I have 2 along the pipes, on the roof of my house, and 2 at the actual tank...... but you would have to search for them, if you see what i mean.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
A properly functioning septic tank needs no vent at the tank - it is off gassed through the house vent piping

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
No idea about the sh** hole :D

Check engine light is permanently on in my 2014 Jeep GC, I only use Premium from Total (recommended by the dealer where I bought the car). The check engine light was actually off for like 8 days after the car got flooded and they had to change all the electric modules. Came back on after a while and never went off again. I guess it is the gas. Car is perfectly fine. I ignore it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I bought a cheap scanner to check those warnings

Cheap... if it’s serious.... I take it to the fixer...in Nagua

Too many trips to see the poor gas was the problem

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Get the code and Google it. Usually a O2 sensor but it could be serious

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I bought a cheap scanner to check those warnings

Cheap... if it’s serious.... I take it to the fixer...in Nagua

Too many trips to see the poor gas was the problem

I will try a tank of better gasoline.
I thought the code checker was geared to brand of car but I see it is not. Any Canadian Tire special will do?
I did change the gas cap... same thing. Mechanic says maybe the float in the tank

Jan 9, 2004
I will try a tank of better gasoline.
I thought the code checker was geared to brand of car but I see it is not. Any Canadian Tire special will do?
I did change the gas cap... same thing. Mechanic says maybe the float in the tank

Start with the code first.

If its an EVAP code...............there is a leak somewhere.........and its NOT a gas leak........but a vapor leak......so do not get concerned.

Post your code and someone here will be able to sleuth and advise.

You changed the gas cap. Did you buy a new one? If so, you may have corrosion at the gas filler neck causing your evap leak. How old/what year is the car? Miles?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
No idea about the sh** hole :D

bless you for such adequate naming for the said contraption :)

like malco said, well done dominican septic system (and the kitchen sink setup) has vents that are, sort of, built in. i did not know our house even had those until we took all old tiles out in the bathrooms. good news is that it the kitchen does not have it now it can still be done. it will require a bit of wall breaking action but can be done from the outside. a good plumber will know how to handle this.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
If you have bad odor backing into the house from drain line, the most likely cause is a missing p-trap -- it is a device shaped with a bending pipe path to retain fluid to prevent sewer gases from entering buildings while allowing waste to pass through.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
2011 Tucson 230,000miles. New gas cap was put on. Mechanic did not tell me the code. Just said don't worry your pretty little head with this, it happens all the time and it is nothing to worry about.
I still worry!

Start with the code first.

If its an EVAP code...............there is a leak somewhere.........and its NOT a gas leak........but a vapor leak......so do not get concerned.

Post your code and someone here will be able to sleuth and advise.

You changed the gas cap. Did you buy a new one? If so, you may have corrosion at the gas filler neck causing your evap leak. How old/what year is the car? Miles?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
There are tubes sticking out of the roof...maybe they are blocked. Should they be covered with some sort of screen? Will check.

The odor issue is actually at the hole in the laundry room which is next to the kitchen. Let me try to describe better.
Kitchen sinks goes out to grease trap via the laundry room. The washing machine water also goes to the grease trap small pool. That is where I get the smell... from the hole in the laundry room.
The grease trap fonctions wells and goes empty into the **** pools.
I was told the **** pools needed ventilation but reading your comments I better check the tubes on the roof first, then actually look at the grease trap pool when the laundry water empties in there, and same when a sink full of water goes to the grease trap.

bless you for such adequate naming for the said contraption :)

like malco said, well done dominican septic system (and the kitchen sink setup) has vents that are, sort of, built in. i did not know our house even had those until we took all old tiles out in the bathrooms. good news is that it the kitchen does not have it now it can still be done. it will require a bit of wall breaking action but can be done from the outside. a good plumber will know how to handle this.

Sep 4, 2012
There are tubes sticking out of the roof...maybe they are blocked. Should they be covered with some sort of screen? Will check.

The odor issue is actually at the hole in the laundry room which is next to the kitchen. Let me try to describe better.
Kitchen sinks goes out to grease trap via the laundry room. The washing machine water also goes to the grease trap small pool. That is where I get the smell... from the hole in the laundry room.
The grease trap fonctions wells and goes empty into the **** pools.
I was told the **** pools needed ventilation but reading your comments I better check the tubes on the roof first, then actually look at the grease trap pool when the laundry water empties in there, and same when a sink full of water goes to the grease trap.

Check the "P" traps at the location with the smell.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
You may have to take a closer look at the piping layout and the design of the grease trap. From the way you explain it, the grease trap is suppose to prevent sewer gases from getting into the house but somehow it's not doing the job. Does the grease trap retain fluid to prevent sewer gases from the ***pool to back up into the laundry room?