Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mysterious Influenza?

I have noticed a lot of people sick in Santo Domingo with this illness...

A lot of coughing and phlegm....like a virus or maybe just some change in the weather here..the cooler temps?....

I have been around-exposed to a lot of these people, but never seem to contract whatever it is...

Which makes me think it could be another mosquito virus.......As I was exposed to Zika virus in 2016...maybe it is another outbreak of that and I am immune due to antibodies.......Just guessing....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It's all over the north coast as well. It took me about 4 weeks to get over it completely.

3. Likes jimmythegreek, beachcomber liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seamonkey View Post
    It's all over the north coast as well. It took me about 4 weeks to get over it completely.
    I can not figure out how I have not contracted this as I have been around family members and in meetings with people choking and coughing like crazy spreading their germs all over...I can only think this is not air born.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe your immune system is really strong at the moment. It felt like my chest was full of crap and I couldn't cough it out. I had no energy and a very sore throat.

I contracted it coming back from Santo Domingo on Caribe Tours mid December.

6. Likes jimmythegreek, beachcomber liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seamonkey View Post
    Maybe your immune system is really strong at the moment. It felt like my chest was full of crap and I couldn't cough it out. I had no energy and a very sore throat.

I contracted it coming back from Santo Domingo on Caribe Tours mid December.
    That explains it-Seems this is all over the Capital for weeks now. Even then, I get the sense this is a potential further outbreak of a mosquito born virus.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s all over everywhere in the US, I’ve been coughing almost 3 weeks. Probably came to DR with passengers on various flights.

Administrator
    DR1.com

9. Likes jimmythegreek, bronzeallspice liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not a mosquito virus, it's the Flu. N1H1.

Big scare re this virus (Swine Flu) back in 2009. Same virus that caused the 1918 outbreak but not necessarily the exact same strain. Anyone who received the specialized N1H1 Flu vaccine that year may still enjoy some degree of immune system protection that can lessen the effects of this year's outbreak.

Those who get flu shots every year or every second generally fare better than those who do not.

11. Likes jimmythegreek, Russell liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    It's not a mosquito virus, it's the Flu. N1H1.

Big scare re this virus (Swine Flu) back in 2009. Same virus that caused the 1918 outbreak but not necessarily the exact same strain. Anyone who received the specialized N1H1 Flu vaccine that year may still enjoy some degree of immune system protection that can lessen the effects of this year's outbreak.

Those who get flu shots every year or every second generally fare better than those who do not.
    Interesting...Probably this is case...BTW......I have had zero flu shots and for years.......Maybe it is the coffee that I am drinking that is providing immunity, but now I have probably jinxed it......

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The best thing you can do apart from staying away from sick people is to wash your hands often. People touch their face or rub their eyes/nose on average 2000+ times a day. The flu primarily enters your system via the mucous membranes of the nose and throat as well as by way of the eyes.

Stop touching yourself. With the Flu virus remaining viable on the surface of objects that people routinely touch for many hours hand washing is a big help after touching money and objects that the general public uses frequently like door knobs, toilet flush handles pens at the bank etc.

14. Likes jimmythegreek liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Have it and it is crappy...started like flu, fever, chills, etc..then turned into a kind of bronchitis. Now with never ending coughing. Cough so much and now it just hurts to cough. Drinking a lot of liquids (tea, water, juices) seems to ease the coughing a bit and scratchy throat. It has been going on since a bit after the Holidays, Went back to the US due to my father passing away and caught it during that time. Doctor says he has seen people continue with the cough for 6-8 weeks. Ugh...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast