Motorcycle Owners

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
My wife wants to get a scooter to get around Las Terrenas. My original though is it is a bit dangerous, so would rather rely solely on a car. But, for only getting around town it would seem to be much easier in a scooter or bike. So,I would like to look into a small bike, like a Yamaha 200cc. For those of you that own bikes or scooters I would like to know how you secure them from theft when out and about, and anything else that would preclude me from doing this. Gracias.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My wife wants to get a scooter to get around Las Terrenas. My original though is it is a bit dangerous, so would rather rely solely on a car. But, for only getting around town it would seem to be much easier in a scooter or bike. So,I would like to look into a small bike, like a Yamaha 200cc. For those of you that own bikes or scooters I would like to know how you secure them from theft when out and about, and anything else that would preclude me from doing this. Gracias.
Get a disc lock.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If it's just to go around town, I think a scooter(pasola) would be a better choice. You have storage space under the seat and can put stuff on the "floor board", too. No shifting to deal with either if your wife has never driven a motorcycle.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Was thinking that and maybe a heavy duty chain. If there is something stationary nearby.
Good suggestions. But of someone really wants your bike there isn't much you can do.

You could put a GPS tracker in it.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
If it's just to go around town, I think a scooter(pasola) would be a better choice. You have storage space under the seat and can put stuff on the "floor board", too. No shifting to deal with either if your wife has never driven a motorcycle.

My wife would have a scooter and I would choose the cycle. I just wanted something with a bit more of a fun factor. The Yamaha TW I am looking at is actually lighter than many scooters and is easier to work on. Pretty basic bike, with big fat tires.
A run to the grocery would probably involve the car or scooter though.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
My wife would have a scooter and I would choose the cycle. I just wanted something with a bit more of a fun factor. The Yamaha TW I am looking at is actually lighter than many scooters and is easier to work on. Pretty basic bike, with big fat tires.
A run to the grocery would probably involve the car or scooter though.
The TeeDub is one of my ATF bikes with a huge cult following.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Good advice so far. A scooter is a bit more stable, lighter and easier to ride.

Scooter or bike, the risk of using one of these vehicles, especially around town, where you are bound have the majority of your mishaps, is high. As a rider you have no protection except for what you are wearing. A good helmet, long pants, long sleeve shirt and solid shoes are a must. The rough asphalt used on the roads here will shred unprotected skin like cheese in a grater. Too hot for leather bopping around town, but shorts and flip flops are just asking for a world of literal hurt.

Cars/Trucks tend not to give bike riders any road space unless the have to. Potholes are not forgiving to inexperienced riders. It takes some a few attempts to remember that if you stop you fall over if you don't put your feet down and in an emergency stop some forget to put their feet down.

While the air rushing through your hair can be exhilarating, you definitely need good glasses to keep the bugs and the dirt out of your eyes. Your focus on the road ahead has to be unwavering. Unlike a in car, you need to see the glass or other debris on the road before you run over it. You need to pay attention to storm grates, crumbling gutters, low hanging branches, wires etc.

Sure it can be fun, but the general consensus based on the attitudes of other road users, the poor road conditions, and having only two tires instead of four for traction, makes two wheeled transport sensible for only the most attentive riders who already have a fair amount of riding under their belt. In Dominican traffic is not the place to learn to ride as the statistics often remind us.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Cdn_Gringo: asphalt will shred jeans and a shirt, too, not just skin.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Effective anti-theft device:

51110326_10156653019891075_6688290516926201856_n.jpg

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
True, but some clothing covering the skin is better than shorts and a tank top for those low speed lie downs. It is unrealistic to expect someone going to the store for a liter of milk to suit up even if that is the best possible approach. The only two wheelers I've seen dressed properly are the dirt bikers on the back roads.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
True, but some clothing covering the skin is better than shorts and a tank top for those low speed lie downs. It is unrealistic to expect someone going to the store for a liter of milk to suit up even if that is the best possible approach. The only two wheelers I've seen dressed properly are the dirt bikers on the back roads.
I have a set of motocross elbow and knee pads for quick jaunts.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Stick to a scooter for around town and a heavy chain is a good idea to hook up to something solid. Disk locks doesn't save it from being picked up and on the back of a van/car and driven off in about 10 seconds... !

All in all I would write off a bike purchase in DR, don't spend too much, it will fall down on occasions, even parking or just mounting and dismounting, damaged all over (specially if used by Dominicans), rust like hell here, after a while you stop replacing parts, or gone in 30 sec (or was it 40, can't remember that movie now...lol). Just enjoy it while it lasts...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Does your wife have any experience driving a motor bike? It's a bit tricky in LT. You have a lot of traffic in the center of town with all types of vehicles. The law of the land is basically the bigger vehicle has the right of way. On a scooter you are most vulnerable to road conditions, other vehicles and the weather. I would consider sticking with a car or if you want something smaller, open air many people use ATVs. Obviously these are a lot more expensive than a scooter but it is more rugged and will give you more protection. Personally with the driving conditions around LT I would be leery driving a scooter around town. Many drivers are distracted, don't follow any driving laws or show any courtesy to other drivers. Bottom line is that you must understand the risk before you venture out. Good luck.

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
my one and only scooter experience --It looked like lots of fun -- never driven anything on 2 wheels -- drove so slow I tipped it over going around a corner. never rode it again..

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
how much would a new decent scooter go for in the DR?

There are many Chinese ones around 60-65k, or about, then there is SYM and PGO (from Taiwan) around 100k, and Yamaha around 140k, well, I am sure you can find more expensive ones too...

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
From what I have seen , Quads ( Atv's) are the way to go in LT... you got Mobility , and a little more safety .. I would not dare ride a Scooter/ Pesola during Semana Santa week, other times of year, yes ok ... Cars can be a PITA to park .. Quads work perfectly .. They also bungee cord milk crates to them for picking up Groceries , drinks ,ice etc ..

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
I do understand the risks with actually riding one. I've see the crazy stuff and driven in DR. My first thought was car only, due to the risks. But, the parking is such a pain for a quick trip in town. I just need to weigh the options. We will be in LT in April, and will rent scooters or a quad and see how it goes. I think the Yamaha motor bike is not a good idea based on intended use, and it is not as practical. They're really made for the open road and dedicated trail riding and such [sigh]
Thanks for all the advice!