Coming to DR in a few weeks

powerbroker

Jan 24, 2019
Hey everybody.

In a couple of weeks I'll be arriving in Santo Domingo. I have an AirBnB for a month in Distrito Nacional, but I will likely be staying in the country for at least a few months and possibly even getting an apartment (not necessarily in SD, time will tell). So, yes, I will be overstaying the 30 days that the tourist visa provides and am fine with paying the fee. If anybody thinks will lead to any unforeseen difficulties, please let me know.

To give a bit of background, I'm a 30 year old male living in the NJ/NYC area with nothing really tying me down and a job that allows me to work remotely. So I've decided to take advantage of this and see the world. My original plan was to go from country to country, month-to-month, but the more I thought about it, the more it seems wiser to stay in one place for a longer stretch of time so that I really get to experience it. I'm also really interested in learning Spanish and what better way to learn than to immerse yourself? I'll likely hire a tutor when I'm there as well.

Anyway, I won't overdo it with the details for now. But I'm sure I'll be poking in and out, reading, and asking questions as they arise. This forum seems like a great resource so far. I'm excited to get to know the country as much as I can.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Hey everybody.

In a couple of weeks I'll be arriving in Santo Domingo. I have an AirBnB for a month in Distrito Nacional, but I will likely be staying in the country for at least a few months and possibly even getting an apartment (not necessarily in SD, time will tell). So, yes, I will be overstaying the 30 days that the tourist visa provides and am fine with paying the fee. If anybody thinks will lead to any unforeseen difficulties, please let me know.

To give a bit of background, I'm a 30 year old male living in the NJ/NYC area with nothing really tying me down and a job that allows me to work remotely. So I've decided to take advantage of this and see the world. My original plan was to go from country to country, month-to-month, but the more I thought about it, the more it seems wiser to stay in one place for a longer stretch of time so that I really get to experience it. I'm also really interested in learning Spanish and what better way to learn than to immerse yourself? I'll likely hire a tutor when I'm there as well.

Anyway, I won't overdo it with the details for now. But I'm sure I'll be poking in and out, reading, and asking questions as they arise. This forum seems like a great resource so far. I'm excited to get to know the country as much as I can.

Welcome, my sugestion is as you plan to overstay the 30 days apply for a Dominican visa that will let you stay for 60 days and skip the line to pay the overstay and fee for overstay.

Have you been before here? any other question feel free to ask.

powerbroker

Jan 24, 2019
Welcome aboard, keep us posted as your adventure unfolds

Hey, Alterego. Thanks and will do!

Welcome, my sugestion is as you plan to overstay the 30 days apply for a Dominican visa that will let you stay for 60 days and skip the line to pay the overstay and fee for overstay.

Have you been before here? any other question feel free to ask.

I've never been to DR before, so it will all be new to me.

I may apply for the visa if it's possible to get it before I leave. I will look into it.

I want to ask: Let's say I leave DR on day 29 of my tourist visa and come back a week or two later, will I be reissued a new tourist visa or is there a buffer period in between?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You will get a new tourist card and your 30 days starts again. The cost of the tourist card is included in your airline ticket. If you arrive by another means I believe the cost is still $10.00 USD.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Forget looking for a Visa. Just come, stay as long as you want, and if over 30 days pay a small fee like everyone else and leave.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Hey, Alterego. Thanks and will do!

I've never been to DR before, so it will all be new to me.

I may apply for the visa if it's possible to get it before I leave. I will look into it.

I want to ask: Let's say I leave DR on day 29 of my tourist visa and come back a week or two later, will I be reissued a new tourist visa or is there a buffer period in between?

Actually the system works like this.

If you come as most of the turist without a VISA, you will receive a charge of 10.00 dollars in your airline ticket for Turist Card that will let you stay in the country for 30 days. You will see in the brakedown of taxes as L8 Tax. and yes, if you leave in the day 29 and comeback in a week then you will get again 30 more days.

Arriving with the VISA will let you stay at a time up to 60 days and not fee to pay when you leave. Im pretty sure you can get a visa and is not a big deal to get it. You will be scared if I tell you how many things and papers we have to provide as Dominicans to get a VISA to travel and the fee to apply is not refundable if denied. So feel lucky.