Need to buy older model iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

eb16rb4

Sep 24, 2018
Does anyone know where I may be able to buy and older model iPhone 6 or 7 at a reasonable price?

eb16rb4

Sep 24, 2018
My apologies, preferabley Punta Cana, Bavaro, Friusa, Higuey area however not ruling out Santo Domingo area or even Romana area

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Ebay is your best bet. But I would however recommend going for older Nexus (Nexus 5 or Nexus 6)...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Plenty of guys with them for sale and they ship to you, via bus the next day. You can get and iPhone 7 new for less than $200 and a 7 Plus with 128 GB for $220.
Try looking here:

https://www.mercadolibre.com.do

I do not recomend do it that way, he will be waitting whole life and the phone will never arrive, a lot scam on those webpages. If he can not pick up the phone better do not do it that way and go straight to a cellphone store, or use ebay or amazon.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I do not recomend do it that way, he will be waitting whole life and the phone will never arrive, a lot scam on those webpages. If he can not pick up the phone better do not do it that way and go straight to a cellphone store, or use ebay or amazon.

Yes, I've bought many things on eBay, only had one bad experience. But the problem are taxes if it goes over $200.
Plus you must know if your phone is compatible with the carrier's frequency here.
With iPhone that should not be an issue

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Any smartphone if it is unlocked will work down here. Just stay under $200 and you're good to go.

Not any, when you buy an smartphone you must be sure about the frecuencies if is not Iphone or Galaxy newest model that came with all frecuencies. Also you need to know for what market was made, cellphones for Indian or chinees market do not work here very easy.

Claro use Band 850 for 3G and Band 4 (1700/2100) for LTE
VIVA use Band 1900 for 3G and Band 4 (1700/2100) for LTE
Altice use Band 900 for 3G and Band 4 (1700/2100) for LTE

As you can see if you do not make sure that your phone use those bands your phone wont work properly if come with diferent bands, maybe only will catch 3G and not LTE and in worse case wont work.

Here none of the companies are offering VoLTE yet, thats mean that all phones needs to have in use 2 bands at the same time, 3G for voice and LTE for internet. If you check the screen of your phone while you are dialing when you press call you will see that your phone will change from LTE to 3G during the call, same thing will do while receiving a call while on LTE, will change to 3G. With VoLTE only will use one band and your phone will use less batery.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Not any, when you buy an smartphone you must be sure about the frecuencies if is not Iphone or Galaxy newest model that came with all frecuencies. Also you need to know for what market was made, cellphones for Indian or chinees market do not work here very easy.

As you can see if you do not make sure that your phone use those bands your phone wont work properly if come with diferent bands, maybe only will catch 3G and not LTE and in worse case wont work.

Here none of the companies are offering VoLTE yet, thats mean that all phones needs to have in use 2 bands at the same time, 3G for voice and LTE for internet. If you check the screen of your phone while you are dialing when you press call you will see that your phone will change from LTE to 3G during the call, same thing will do while receiving a call while on LTE, will change to 3G. With VoLTE only will use one band and your phone will use less batery.

Good Advice and often carrier supplied (subsidized) phones are limited in frequencies, as they don't want you going to another carrier after you contract expires, so they make it a more costly decision

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Today’s DR1 news:

Customs increases tax on cell phone imports
In a measure that protects sales by local telecoms, the Customs Agency (DGA) announced that individuals importing mobiles would be charged 20% tax, and not the 3% as at present. The measure is in effect immediately and complies with Customs Reform Law 146-00. The administrative measure reducing the tax had been issued in 2005. The DGA said the 3% is still valid for imports that were on their way or in Customs as of 6 February 2019.

http://www.amellcxa.com/pdf/Ley_146-00.pdf

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

As far as I know, any of the better band smartphones are both GSM and CDMA compatible and are quad band, meaning that they will work on all frequencies. They just need to be unlocked. My 4-year old iPhone 6S does and also works on LTE. The only thing you need to do is unlock them.

Can you give me an example of a smartphone where this is not the case?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
As far as I know, any of the better band smartphones are both GSM and CDMA compatible and are quad band, meaning that they will work on all frequencies. They just need to be unlocked. My 4-year old iPhone 6S does and also works on LTE. The only thing you need to do is unlock them.

Can you give me an example of a smartphone where this is not the case?

Check this one.
https://www.gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_max_pro_(m2)_zb631kl-9410.php

Click on network and will open details of the bands. As you could see this model will work here in 2G with Claro, Viva and Altice, for 3G will work only with Claro and Altice, and LTE is not going to work. And like this there more models and brands.

the Better smartphones catch the most bands but not all the bands, thats why you have to make sure that has included the bands of the carrier you are using.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Check this one.
https://www.gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_max_pro_(m2)_zb631kl-9410.php

Click on network and will open details of the bands. As you could see this model will work here in 2G with Claro, Viva and Altice, for 3G will work only with Claro and Altice, and LTE is not going to work. And like this there more models and brands.

the Better smartphones catch the most bands but not all the bands, thats why you have to make sure that has included the bands of the carrier you are using.

This is a GSM only smartphone. I think Claro is a CDMA network. I don't see how it would work on Claro(?).

Anyway, yet one more reason to buy an iPhone. I won't have to check any of this stuff! :classic:

Status
Not open for further replies.