Intro

NelleG

Jan 2, 2018
Hi everyone,
First post here but I’ve been following for a while. We’ve been going to DR for several years and have decided to buy an apartment near Bayahibe. It should be ready later this summer. After a few all-inclusive stays we decided that really isn’t our cup of tea. We like to do things, go explore, stay active, and enjoy the beach and food at the end of the day. So an apartment it is. I hope to retire in about six years, spend part of the winter there and summer here in New England. An extreme case of snow-birding if you will.

I have a few questions but will poke around and see if my concerns have been previously addressed. Surely I’m not the only snow bird heading to DR.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Welcome to the board. Let me know how you like living in Bayahibe. I have yet to visit that area.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Welcome to the board. I can understand the AI opinion. During my first visit, I utilized an optional-AI, and only slept there. Let me know how you like Bayahibe. I have yet to visit that area.

NelleG

Jan 2, 2018
At our first AI, our friends started drinking at 0900. It was going to be a long week if we tried to keep up. So we booked excursions for most days. After that we only did AI one more time before we started booking on airbnb. Loved going to the small neighborhood stores where we managed (with the help of google translate) to find everything we needed for breakfast in the apartment.

One trip we spent every day scuba diving with a shop in Bayahibe, and decided this was where we needed to be. The owner recommended an attorney and we pulled the trigger on the apartment. It seems that the builder furnishes the units mostly from Ikea, but I’d like to do something different. Not really a fan of Ikea (not that there’s anything wrong with Ikea) so I’m looking for help finding furniture. Next we’ll be looking for scooters or a golf cart!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
If you google (dominican google which is google.com.do), meubles la romana there are a few furniture stores you can check out. Mind you, once you have seen Dominican furniture you may prefer IKEA!!

Matilda

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
At our first AI, our friends started drinking at 0900. It was going to be a long week if we tried to keep up. So we booked excursions for most days. After that we only did AI one more time before we started booking on airbnb. Loved going to the small neighborhood stores where we managed (with the help of google translate) to find everything we needed for breakfast in the apartment.

One trip we spent every day scuba diving with a shop in Bayahibe, and decided this was where we needed to be. The owner recommended an attorney and we pulled the trigger on the apartment. It seems that the builder furnishes the units mostly from Ikea, but I’d like to do something different. Not really a fan of Ikea (not that there’s anything wrong with Ikea) so I’m looking for help finding furniture. Next we’ll be looking for scooters or a golf cart!

Went to many AIs. Yes a lot of people want to get their monies worth and over eat and drink and wonder why they get stomach problems in the DR? I discovered a drug called Prodom, over the counter, in the DR. It works wonders for those who can't leave the bathroom. Helped many a stranded tourist. AIs have there place but your plan was a better one. Good luck