Wet Pavement & Motos don't mix

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I was on my way into Sosua yesterday AM and came across a Police Honda XR on its side in the middle of the West bound lane.
The two PN were some 75 yards behind trying to get up and out of the traffic lane, and obviously in some pain with mud on their clothes from skidding along the wet pavement.
A couple motoconchos stopped to get the motorcycle out of the road.

I suspect the PN were traveling too fast, based on how far they were behind were their motorcycle came to rest, as the road was wet from overnight rain.

If you ride a pasola, or motorcycle you have up to 50% less traction on a wet road than a warm dry one and, like these PN discovered, knobby tires are even worse on wet pavement than street tires (those with tread). And since it was the first rain in a couple weeks maybe oil accumulation on the road too.

Slow down when it has rained, your tires aren't sandpaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glxMLJ1A6rk

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Based on the lack of tread I see on car and truck tires, they too need to slow down when the roads are wet. I am solely dependent on two wheels to get around, so when its wet I carefully consider how badly I need to go out to get something. If I can find a reason not to put myself into traffic, even on good days, that's probably a good thing.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Right before it starts raining there's a very fine, invisible, light layer of dust and sand on the road. This gets washed away vey quickly with a moderate to hard rain, but if it's just sprinking, that fine layer of dust makes the road extremely slick - as if it were covered in oil - and will stay that way for a short time until harder rain washes it away. It's much more slipperly than just a wet road for that short period of time. Very dangerous time to be on two wheels. Extra caution required.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I was on my way into Sosua yesterday AM and came across a Police Honda XR on its side in the middle of the West bound lane.
The two PN were some 75 yards behind trying to get up and out of the traffic lane, and obviously in some pain with mud on their clothes from skidding along the wet pavement.
A couple motoconchos stopped to get the motorcycle out of the road.

I suspect the PN were traveling too fast, based on how far they were behind were their motorcycle came to rest, as the road was wet from overnight rain.

If you ride a pasola, or motorcycle you have up to 50% less traction on a wet road than a warm dry one and, like these PN discovered, knobby tires are even worse on wet pavement than street tires (those with tread). And since it was the first rain in a couple weeks maybe oil accumulation on the road too.

Slow down when it has rained, your tires aren't sandpaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glxMLJ1A6rk
Tires are the most important part of a motorcycle, followed by brakes.

Actually, modern tires have 80% of their dry grip on wet pavement. HOWEVER, that does NOT include hydroplaning and oil and debris on the street.

If you hit a puddle significantly deeper than the water channels of your tires, your bike can hydroplane. The lighter the bike with passengers, the easier to hydroplane. If your tires are balding, the easier to hydroplane. There is little a rider can do in a hydroplaning situation other than to avoid as many puddles as possible. If you hydroplane, good luck. Don't make any radical imputs because when the bike stops hydroplaning whatever inputs you made on wet may cause a quick boom-go-down when you regain traction.

IMO, in the DR the real risk in the rain is oil on the road, especially after a dry spell. Certainly the middle of the lane is the most dangerous, but because roads are crowned that oil dissipates across the entire lane. The best strategy is not to ride in the middle of the lane, and to ride in the high part of the crown, generally toward the center line. After a day of rain most of the oil is gone and the road has good traction. If you look closely, you can see the "rainbow" coloration on the road. That's oil.

I rarely use front brakes on wet surfaces, maybe 20%. If your front brake washes out you go down, whether riding straight or in a turn. Your rear brake is more effective, especially going straight.

But the most effective strategery in the rain---and we ride a lot in the rain---is planning and awareness. Slow down. Avoid any excess leaning and side forces. Keep the bike more vertical. Add a lot more following room. Stay off the brakes. Use throttle and gear changes, with a lot feathered clutch on downshifts. Stay off the middle of the lane. And avoid painted stripes on the road. And get away from anyone tailgating you, let them pass! The biggest threat of crashing on the street is getting run over.

I don't know what those guys did but crashing hurts. Been there. On wet surfaces you are down before you even know what happened.

How is this for wet?

https://vimeo.com/193113628

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
In dr, i have a simple rule....... if the road is wet, no bike for me.
If it even seems it might rain, no bike, i ll take the SUV.
If it does start raining when i am out on the bike, i' ll take my time to get back home......crawl-like speed. Especially since the tropical climate seems to affect my brain, and i have 0 protection...... as opposed to back home where i always have helemet, gloves, leather jacket, etc......

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Tires are the most important part of a motorcycle, followed by brakes.

Actually, modern tires have 80% of their dry grip on wet pavement. However that does NOT include hydroplaning and oil and debris on the street.
One popint: while the 80% is accurate as proven on skid pads, the reality is few, if any, know where the 100% traction limit is, so 80% in reality is theoretical.

Fact is if you adhere to some of the other points regarding wet riding strategeries, you'll be fine...unless you're a moto hooligan.

Nice thing about riding in the rain in the DR that works greatly to your advantage and safety: rain drives dominicans off the roads, and off the sides of the roads. There are fewer threats.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
We noticed that! It rained hard one afternoon last time we were in LT and it was sooo nice to drive on clear streets. Everyone ducked for cover. Hah hah

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
The other factor is that Dominican roads, as we all know, are not the best and many are laden with pot holes and these pot holes fill up with water making them nearly impossible to notice. I always give distance to motorbikes no matter what the weather is and when I pass them I also give them lots of distance, but when it is raining I give them even more as you never know what is going to happen to them...they hit a pothole and crash in front of you then it can easily become the gringo blame game...another reason why I have a dash cam which everyone should have in their car.