Attention: DR1 Daily News contributor robbed at home

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Big News:

The News Contributor is our own Matilda.

DR1 News said:
63-year old Lindsay Firth, who contributes to the DR1 Daily News, was assaulted at gunpoint at her home in Cacique, Monción municipality in northwestern Santiago Rodríguez province. As reported in El Nacional, she handed in the cash but resisted being gagged and suffered a serious injury on the forehead, the Police reported. The police described the wounds as a blunt blow and a traumatic wound on the forehead.

According to the police, the Firth was assaulted when she was alone in the morning at her residence, located in the Cacique en Monción section. As reported, she had left the front door open and the thief penetrated gun in hand demanding she turn in the money she had. The police say she was hospitalized in Mao.

https://elnacional.com.do/revelan-40...ta-sin-seguro/

Get better soon, Lindsay!!!!!!!

Arrangements have been made to help defray medical expenses, and any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks so much CB. As usual the standard of journalistic reporting is a tad off. I was sitting at my computer just about to begin the DR news at 9.30 am. My husband and a Canadian female friend (also blonde) staying with us had gone for a run. A young Dominican man entered the back door, which was unlocked as they had just left, pointed a gun at me and asked for money. I said no problem, asked him not to panic, asked him not to harm 2 of my dogs sitting with me at the computer, raised my arms and stood up, walked from behind my computer and towards my handbag on the table. He kept screaming do not look at me, so I handed him my glasses which he folded neatly and put on the table. He would not let me give him the money, around RD$9,000, but made me lay face down on the floor, screaming at me to lie on my face repeatedly and becoming more and more agitated. I never resisted I did as told. I lay down on my face, he pulled my arms behind my back, bent my legs behind my back, put on latex gloves, and sat on my back. He then proceeded to stuff my mouth with a cloth and cover my nose with it. I fought as hard as I could, but I could not breathe. I pretended to be dead ( I have seen that on crime shows), didn't work, he just kept slamming my face into the floor, eventually I passed out - after around a minute. I remember nothing after that. My husband and Canadian found me shortly after and I was unconscious but came to in the car on the way to the hosptial. At the same time a baseball size lump appeared and burst open on my head bleeding profusely so it was thought I had been shot. Xrays reveal no shooting, cat scan no bleeding in the brain. Am home, am OK, very bruised, especially face and all of my mouth is cut and bruised hence drinking Brugal is like drinking muriatic acid which is a great shame. Police being amazing, and seem to have changed my nationality away from Dominican to English even thought I have dual. The area police are now also involved. Thanks for all good wishes and especially thanks to CB for support.

https://www.revista110.online/direc...resion-y-robo-a-ciudadana-inglesa-en-moncion/

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
SO sorry to hear this.... Matilda has had more than her share of woes there ... Speedy Recovery.. If someone can set up a PayPal link for her? (I collected contributions once from this Board once for a cause)..

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Thanks so much CB. As usual the standard of journalistic reporting is a tad off. I was sitting at my computer just about to begin the DR news at 9.30 am. My husband and a Canadian female friend (also blonde) staying with us had gone for a run. A young Dominican man entered the back door, which was unlocked as they had just left, pointed a gun at me and asked for money. I said no problem, asked him not to panic, asked him not to harm 2 of my dogs sitting with me at the computer, raised my arms and stood up, walked from behind my computer and towards my handbag on the table. He kept screaming do not look at me, so I handed him my glasses which he folded neatly and put on the table. He would not let me give him the money, around RD$9,000, but made me lay face down on the floor, screaming at me to lie on my face repeatedly and becoming more and more agitated. I never resisted I did as told. I lay down on my face, he pulled my arms behind my back, bent my legs behind my back, put on latex gloves, and sat on my back. He then proceeded to stuff my mouth with a cloth and cover my nose with it. I fought as hard as I could, but I could not breathe. I pretended to be dead ( I have seen that on crime shows), didn't work, he just kept slamming my face into the floor, eventually I passed out - after around a minute. I remember nothing after that. My husband and Canadian found me shortly after and I was unconscious but came to in the car on the way to the hosptial. At the same time a baseball size lump appeared and burst open on my head bleeding profusely so it was thought I had been shot. Xrays reveal no shooting, cat scan no bleeding in the brain. Am home, am OK, very bruised, especially face and all of my mouth is cut and bruised hence drinking Brugal is like drinking muriatic acid which is a great shame. Police being amazing, and seem to have changed my nationality away from Dominican to English even thought I have dual. The area police are now also involved. Thanks for all good wishes and especially thanks to CB for support.

https://www.revista110.online/direc...resion-y-robo-a-ciudadana-inglesa-en-moncion/

YOU are the bravest woman that I have ever met! To go through such an event with such poise and elan! So sorry that this happened but so glad that you are up and about. I am fully of admiration for you - many others would crumble... RESPECT

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I should have mentioned he only took the money. Didn't take my cedula, bank cards, lap tops, phone, camera - nothing. Nor did he harm the dogs. On Z101 this morning - radio station - they suggested that thieves should not rob tourists (which it appears I still am) and should check cedulas first!

Matilda

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I should have mentioned he only took the money. Didn't take my cedula, bank cards, lap tops, phone, camera - nothing. Nor did he harm the dogs. On Z101 this morning - radio station - they suggested that thieves should not rob tourists (which it appears I still am) and should check cedulas first!

Matilda

You're lucky he didn't kill you. The police in this country know exactly who is
doing what. Offer a small but reasonable reward and the perp will be caught
in a few hours. I hope you heal quickly and get well soon.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Well glad to hear that things although serious are not as bad as thought. I guess the need to secure doors is necessary even in the campo. Funny your dogs didn't hear him.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
If anyone can Keep Calm and Carry On it is indeed Matilda! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Wow...so sorry to be reading this, it sounds horrific but thank God you are OK, albeit battered and bruised. Take good care of yourself.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
Matilda, it sounds like you did everything you were supposed to in such a situation. Sorry this happened to you. Yes, I know we would be most concerned about our pups (i.e. take the money...leave the dogs, and us alone). Interesting he didn't just take the cash and get out to avoid any trouble, but these guys are not the brightest. Get will fast.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Matilda, it sounds like you did everything you were supposed to in such a situation. Sorry this happened to you. Yes, I know we would be most concerned about our pups (i.e. take the money...leave the dogs, and us alone). Interesting he didn't just take the cash and get out to avoid any trouble, but these guys are not the brightest. Get will fast.

I dont think he expected anyone in the house, as everyone knows we live here, Dominican man, blonde gringa. I have a Canadian friend (female blonde) staying with me and she was out running with Danilo. He seemed surprised to see me and kept screaming "don't look at me". He was terrified of being identified. That is why I think he decided best to dispose of me so I couldn't id him. Idiot. Matilda's cannot be disposed of that easily and now he is in much more trouble than if he had just taken the money.

Matilda

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Ewwww.... sorry to hear what happened to you. I wish you a full recovery and hope everything goes well.

Sep 4, 2012
So sorry this has happened and glad you are still with us, which is the important thing here. A few words of advise:

- Lay low for the time being

- Keep house secured at all times

- Don't divulge to much information just yet

- Always have someone around, never home alone

- Follow strict medical guidance

I could only hope the perv gets caught right away, and of course - I wish you well!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Very discouraging news. Sorry for the fright and cuts.
I know my dog would have barked and likely charged a stranger and certainly would have attacked if I was being pummeled.

But I'm with you money is nothing but paper - don't harm my dog.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Wow, what an incredible story, that shows that lightning does indeed strike twice. I am glad to hear that you are back home with just bumps and bruises this time.
How is your friend doing? I'm sure this isn't what she expected to have happen on her trip.
And when is your trip back to the UK? I think you need a change of scenery.

:classic: mob

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I want to be like you, when I grow up !

So sorry to hear this news, I am glad you are allright (while still amazed at your poise and bravery).

Wishing you a speedy recovery !!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Wow, what an incredible story, that shows that lightning does indeed strike twice. I am glad to hear that you are back home with just bumps and bruises this time.
How is your friend doing? I'm sure this isn't what she expected to have happen on her trip.
And when is your trip back to the UK? I think you need a change of scenery.

:classic: mob

Lightning did strike twice but in different places so not sure that counts! Friend staying as wanted to see the real DR - bit spooked me thinks and may cut trip short but has learned lots of medical terms in Spanish, seen a Dominican hospital in action, and has a list of over 50 men, inc hospital staff and policemen wanting to go out with her - so not all bad. Just got back from the UK so will be fine here. In my experience, going away does not help, just get straight back on the bike after the accident is the best way to solve any potential mental issues.

Mat.