911 REALLy.

milo

Jan 27, 2005
So I have read many times that 911 is basically for noise complaints, so for the first time in 12 years living here , I tried to call 911. Music, I use that loosely, so loud, unbielevable, after 14 calls to 911, no answer, 3 times busy signal, thank god did not have someone breaking into my home, or major crime... why is there emergency number with no answer, anyone else had similar experience? I do not want to abuse system, but reall?.

milo

Jan 27, 2005
Thank god not a thief, or worse, and a true emergency with home invasion, etc. busy signal? And no answer after 12 calls, unbelievable, happy to be alive, really!?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Thank god not a thief, or worse, and a true emergency with home invasion, etc. busy signal? And no answer after 12 calls, unbelievable, happy to be alive, really!?

Can you be more explicit because 911 is not avilable in whole country yet, I live in San Pedro and I have seen them working in street emergency, so please tell us your location.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
My neighbour's car went up in flames a few weeks ago and she managed to contact them on the first try. Policia nacional arrived first the bomberos. It's only been working in Punta Cana for several weeks so we were pretty impressed.

And btw, it's not only for noise complaints, they cover basically all emergencies.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
My neighbour's car went up in flames a few weeks ago and she managed to contact them on the first try. Policia nacional arrived first the bomberos. It's only been working in Punta Cana for several weeks so we were pretty impressed.

And btw, it's not only for noise complaints, they cover basically all emergencies.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

In Punta Cana Government programs usually work well... the saying in Punta Cana is don"t mess with the tourists

all because a ton of money is earned there for the Government...:classic::classic::classic::classic::classic:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It works in Cabarete. My neighbour was being robbed and was able to alert me. I called 911 and the police came round in force within 10 mins.

In fact when I was on the phone, the operator asked me if I spoke English. When I told her yes, the conversation switched to very good English.

A few hours after the incident they called me back and wanted to know if my neighbour needed further support and that investigations were in progress to find the perpetrator. A sole attacker had penetrated the property and was holding a knife against the neck of their young son. A bit more serious than a noise complaint.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
It worked when I called 911, near Imbert....... the only problem was the operator had no clue of the lay of the land..... she ended up patching me through to the ambulance driver and we agreed to meet up, half way.
It was for a guy who was injured in a motorbike accident.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I think we can say that 911 works sometimes, maybe we can say it works most of the time, but I don't think we are at the point where we can rely on it working as intended all of the time. Obviously you need to be in a area where the call is routed to an emergency operator. It shouldn't be difficult if that routing fails, for the phone company to play a recorded message saying to try again or that service is not supported in that location but they probably don't.

Most people use a cell phone I suppose and they are of course more of a nightmare to work with than a landline is.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
So I have read many times that 911 is basically for noise complaints, so for the first time in 12 years living here , I tried to call 911. Music, I use that loosely, so loud, unbielevable, after 14 calls to 911, no answer, 3 times busy signal, thank god did not have someone breaking into my home, or major crime... why is there emergency number with no answer, anyone else had similar experience? I do not want to abuse system, but reall?.

As I understand it, 9-1-1 was never meant to be for noise complaints. There's a different number for that. I called it once, shouting to be heard in my apartment (and I live right behind the police station) from the music blasting from the street below, and the operator said to me: "Music? What music?"

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
In Punta Cana Government programs usually work well... the saying in Punta Cana is don"t mess with the tourists

all because a ton of money is earned there for the Government...:classic::classic::classic::classic::classic:
I once visited a small town in a South American country, and there were placards on the light poles and posted on walls reminding the locals not to harass the tourists as the town relied upon their spending. I had to laugh. I called it the "don't kill the golden goose" sign.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Hi!

I fell and broke my hip last Monday (luckily) right in front of our condo building (in Costambar). The manager called 911 when he realized I could not move my leg without screaming in agony. They arrived in five minutes! I was counting the seconds, believe me. I asked it they were already in Costambar, but at that point I didn't really care about the answer.

The ambulance was very clean and well stocked and the three staff (driver and two others) had on clean pressed uniforms. They asked a couple of questions and then slipped me onto a back board before lifting me onto a guerny. Meanwhile, I sent someone inside my condo for my purse and phone and reading glasses. And one of our workers took my dog inside. My housekeeper was working that morning. She packed a small bag with two changes of clothes and some shoes and underwear and my hairbrush and toothbrush. By that time they had loaded me into the ambulance with my screaming bloody murder every time I was jostled. The ambulance drove off without delay. They asked me where I wanted to go and I requested Centro Medico Bournigal in Puerto Plata. Along the way, they asked the basics, took my insurance card and cedula for a few minutes to copy down some details, asked who would be at the hospital with me (our manager to check me in to admission) and started getting ready to start a drip. I asked if that would allow the to give me some pain meds. They said no they could not. I asked them to skip the drip, which they did. The ambulance ride was uneventful but everytime it turned a corner or went over a speed bump or pothole, I screamed my head off because of the pain... But we got to the hospital loading area and they got the gurney out and rolling inside. Then they filled in the emergency room staff and headed out. I COULD NOT have made the trip in anything other than an ambulance and no a guerny...no car would have allowed to lie down with my leg (as is) and not be in pain...even an amateur lifting me would have been more agony than could stand. I suppose without 911, an ambulance could have been found...but I am so thankful for their promptness and professionalism. I was not bleeding and need no oxygen etc so I cannot speak to that but I was trilled to have their help. Costambar security is pretty good about calling an ambulance but it could not have arrived more quickly. Thank you 911 and staff!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was outside of your house when the ambulance was there so i can confirm. chatted briefly with your neighbours to find what's happened and then with building's manager to see if you needed english speaking person to go with you but he had it all organized. my impression was that the 911 crew was quick to respond and competent.

we get ambulances in our area regularly. there's lots of elderly residents so even small accidents require proper medical assistance. plus every weekend we get a bunch of very drunk locals. the security has a good grip on the use of 911 system and they always arrive relatively quickly. so i can say that it does work quite well within the areas covered.

anyways, judy, i spoke to the maintenance guy the other day who told me you were back home and well taken care of. would you like me to send you some cake, maybe?

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
I am understanding they refuse to give pain meds, specifically narcotics; this includes OTC stuff like ibuprofen? What is the general policy on pain medications in DR?

Judypdr, hope you are doing better :0)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
any hard core prescription medicine is hard to come by here legally. i am not surprised they did not administer anything strong, likely they do not carry any opiates so that they are not attacked/robbed. and maybe do not want to interfere much with the treatment to be received upon the arrival, who knows.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
i was outside of your house when the ambulance was there so i can confirm. chatted briefly with your neighbours to find what's happened and then with building's manager to see if you needed english speaking person to go with you but he had it all organized. my impression was that the 911 crew was quick to respond and competent.

we get ambulances in our area regularly. there's lots of elderly residents so even small accidents require proper medical assistance. plus every weekend we get a bunch of very drunk locals. the security has a good grip on the use of 911 system and they always arrive relatively quickly. so i can say that it does work quite well within the areas covered.

anyways, judy, i spoke to the maintenance guy the other day who told me you were back home and well taken care of. would you like me to send you some cake, maybe?

Cake would be fantastic. I have young Dominican woman from Santiago staying with me 24/7. I cannot move from the bed for now. She doesn't speak English and my Dominican (Spanish) is not good anyway but with all the different types of drugs, it's worse. I keep having to look up words like pillow. Day before yesterday, a friend helped her put a fresh whole chicken from Jenny's in the over... Rinse out the chicken. Put aluminium foil on the roasting pan. Put the matching rack on top and put the chicken on the rack, breast up, and wipe it with olive oil...) I might never have gotten that written and translated! If you do come by, please stop in to say hello. I'm starved for interaction! Thanks much.. If cake is too much a bother, cookies are good. I can't imagine have to explain how to bake! Sooo much appreciated! #6

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
great, i will pop in later today with some goodies :)

i am glad that your 911 story ended up well. you are a prime example that some things do work here.

all things considered the emergency services in DR are not as bad as people think. at least here in PP i have seen good response from 911, MOPC and PN in accidents and other emergencies.

The Professor

Sep 22, 2015
I had a genuine medical emergency in the capital a couple of years ago shortly after 911 became operational. The person who answered my call spoke very good English, though there was some confusion over my exact location. Eventually, an ambulance arrived and took me to the hospital. The ambulance attendants were professional and very accomodating. They even grabbed my luggage from the rental car and put it in the ambulance with me.

All in all, I can't say anything bad about them. They are doing very well with the limited resources they have. I've even seen paramedic teams on motorcycles responding to calls in my neighborhood. Give the Dominicans some credit.