Welp, it happened. Wrecked scooter rental

Stampmybook

Feb 6, 2019
I must have missed the part on the contract where it says there is a 1500usd deductible. I'm happy I didn't get really hurt but I'm hanged up just resting in the room and need to bring the scooter back soon. A few kids looked at it and said it would cost 200-300 but I know that will make little difference when I see the guy.

I guess my question is , what are my chances the guy doens't demand the full 1500 for the scooter damage? I'm trying to reach family to wire money but that part isn't even solid yet and I'm supposed to be flying out Tuesday but from what I've read things get sticky very fast with this sort of thing. The scooter is rideable but has bent wheels and the front frame is cracked (this is the part the kid said would take going to puerto plata to get and is a large piece). I know that doens't do much help short of letting you know the scooter isn't totaled.

What really makes me mad at myself is I've riden scooters in other counties and it wasn't the traffic that did it. It was the lack off and seeing a single whitehouse up on the hill side (east of Caberetee past 2 yellow bridges). I looked up for a second and when I looked down the road turned and I flew off.

I guess my other question is there a cheaper way than 100 bucks that is safe to get to STI?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I'm guessing you left your passport as collateral?

Take the kid that knew where you could get it fixed, rent him for a day as a guide, and a pick up truck. Do it early Monday, take it to the place in PP and get it fixed. Pay the kid and drive it back to where ever.

If you gots no money, and he's got your passport, you'll be at his mercy. You ain't going nowhere.
Just get it fixed, no big deal.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm guessing you left your passport as collateral?

Take the kid that knew where you could get it fixed, rent him for a day as a guide, and a pick up truck. Do it early Monday, take it to the place in PP and get it fixed. Pay the kid and drive it back to where ever.

If you gots no money, and he's got your passport, you'll be at his mercy. You ain't going nowhere.
Just get it fixed, no big deal.
^^^This.^^^

There are folks who will make it look like it never was wrecked at a price better than the hassle you're about to face if you don't.

You'll be paying Gringo Price which is lower than Gringo Hassle.

I have helped people go through this several times with rental cars.

Consider it tuition. You learned to pay better attention while riding. You are lucky. You could be dead.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Generally speaking, those who rent cars and motos (especially motos) replace them when damaged not repair them. It's easier, the insurance hit for them isn't very large with a large deductible so it's the avenue of least resistance and updates their inventory with newer machines.

You can try to convince the rental place to fix it, but I suspect they will decline and either turn it over to the insurance company to sell at auction or sell it themselves depending on if they file a claim. Either way, it's probably going to cost you $1500, because that's that what you agreed to.

Let us know how it works out.

On the medical front - You're lucky not to be in the hospital. If you got road rash, get some antibiotics pronto. Keep the wounds clean and change the dressings often. The roads and soil are filthy here and a tropical infection can be a real challenge to arrest and get rid of.

Stampmybook

Feb 6, 2019
Didnt' leave my passport and just met up with the guy. I consider my self extremely fortunate. This was the owner, I've met him one time to renew the scooter but he was no the original person. I'm not sure if he knows the contract said 1500 deductible but I doubt I was the first or that he would't 't immediately look at that once I told him I wrecked the scooter.

He looked it over and told me it will cost him about 200usd to fix but he'd need to look at it. He said they open tomorrow AM. I asked if he wants to settle it now for 200, he said sure and I went to my room and grabbed him 10200 pesos. He wasn't thrilled but he said it's part of doing business.

I'm going to definitely leave the guy a good review and as lame as this sounds the helmet might have saved me or at least some brain cells. There is a tiny scrap above my eye. IT's not bad but everything else that came into contact got bashed so that could have been it for me, or at least woken up in a hotel room with none of my belongings and not remembering anything.

Either way I'm feeling alot better now and have 2 more nights left in Caberete that I'll be able to enjoy. This was eating at me .

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Didnt' leave my passport and just met up with the guy. I consider my self extremely fortunate. This was the owner, I've met him one time to renew the scooter but he was no the original person. I'm not sure if he knows the contract said 1500 deductible but I doubt I was the first or that he would't 't immediately look at that once I told him I wrecked the scooter.

He looked it over and told me it will cost him about 200usd to fix but he'd need to look at it. He said they open tomorrow AM. I asked if he wants to settle it now for 200, he said sure and I went to my room and grabbed him 10200 pesos. He wasn't thrilled but he said it's part of doing business.

I'm going to definitely leave the guy a good review and as lame as this sounds the helmet might have saved me or at least some brain cells. There is a tiny scrap above my eye. IT's not bad but everything else that came into contact got bashed so that could have been it for me, or at least woken up in a hotel room with none of my belongings and not remembering anything.

Either way I'm feeling alot better now and have 2 more nights left in Caberete that I'll be able to enjoy. This was eating at me .

You're extremely lucky. Give the man a little extra like $250.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I......................

I guess my other question is there a cheaper way than 100 bucks that is safe to get to STI?

Several options:
1. Uber. I used it a few months ago from the Santiago airport to Sosua (via Moca/Sabaneta route). It was about 2300 pesos (<$50 US).
2. MetroBus or CaribeTours bus. Take a carrito/publico from Cabarete to Sosua (50 pesos). Then take either of the buses to Santiago (bus is about 280 pesos IIRC. Look up the bus schedules on line.) MetroBus has maybe 5-6 buses/day, while CaribeTours is every hour from around 5am-10pm. Then take a taxi from the Santiago bus station to the airport (negotiate the price before you get in the cab. Anywhere from 500-1000:pesos).
3. Negotiate the day before directly with a taxi driver for a better price. Tourist taxi will try and stay firm with a high price. Independent taxi or carrito would probably do it for much less.

Good luck. And let us know how things work out with both situations.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Contrary to popular opinion, not all Dominicans are out to gouge you. A friend of mine in Cabarete rents scooters - maybe he's the one you rented from(?).

They expect their rentals to get banged up - part of doing business like he told you. The honest ones just want their rental bike back working and in the same condition - not a brand new scooter.

The kid told you 200-300 to fix it and the owner told you 200. Like I said - he was being honest. It's amazing how cheaply they can fix things down here.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Good fortune for you. I'm surprised, but then again, I'm often surprised by things still.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Enjoy your last two nights, and yes, give him a little regalito for being a sport, and a nice review online will help him as well.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Contrary to popular opinion, not all Dominicans are out to gouge you. A friend of mine in Cabarete rents scooters - maybe he's the one you rented from(?).

They expect their rentals to get banged up - part of doing business like he told you. The honest ones just want their rental bike back working and in the same condition - not a brand new scooter.

The kid told you 200-300 to fix it and the owner told you 200. Like I said - he was being honest. It's amazing how cheaply they can fix things down here.

I agree with you. I would however suggest taking 2 written estimates with him just in case. I would also NEVER EVER EVER tell him he was leaving the country.
If the damage is close to 200-300 damage he is NOT going file a claim with his insurance company and total it. That makes as much sense in this country as it would in any other.
(I ran 2 car rental companies in this country when I first got moved here with a 250 car fleet. Not the same as scooters but similar) BTW, Car rental companies can't buy collision insurance on their fleet, just liability.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I agree with you. I would however suggest taking 2 written estimates with him just in case. I would also NEVER EVER EVER tell him he was leaving the country.
If the damage is close to 200-300 damage he is NOT going file a claim with his insurance company and total it. That makes as much sense in this country as it would in any other.
(I ran 2 car rental companies in this country when I first got moved here with a 250 car fleet. Not the same as scooters but similar) BTW, Car rental companies can't buy collision insurance on their fleet, just liability.

I was in somewhat of a similar situation and went to a mechanic and got a quote. That's what I paid and everyone was happy without filing any claims. Most accidents here, if they are minor, are settled this way. Way too much of a hassle for all involved to file a claim and a police report.

If some rental agent were to try and total it, I'd bet the insurance company would want fotos and an AMET report before they paid, and he would be waiting a long time before he ever got that check. Better to just get it fixed and rented again.

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
Glad it worked out because most of the time this type of situation doesn't. Ususally this ends up as a Dominican horror story and a large chunk of change being handed over to the rental outfit. There's more than a few around who use that fine print deductable as a source of income, especially at the tail end of high season.

Stampmybook

Feb 6, 2019
That's what made me just tell the rental guy instead of trying to get it fixed. At first the kid who worked at the hotel seemed like a great option because there was some familiarity , less chance of problems etc. But 2 things made me decide against it. The first was a part needed wouldn't be available till Today but I need to be on a cab at midnight or so tonight to goto the airport. If something went wrong or something was delayed, I would have to tell the guy anyway, or book a different flight out and more airbnb's.

But what really changed my mind was the guy looking at me at the very end and telling me what I'm doing is illegal and fraud, but he'll allow me to make the decision. At that point I just had an image in my mind of paying the kid 300, then driving the scooter back and coincidentally police waiting for me to arrest me for trying to defraud one of the ;local vendors. The less dangerous more likely thought in my mind would be him calling the guy and letting him know I'll be afraid of arrest if discovered and I'm good for the 1500 hoping for a kickback. Most likely being paranoid but someone telling me at the tail end of a deal that I'm about to break the law, at least in the states is a red flag.

Either way, I consider my self lucky. Next time I rent a scooter I'll make sure to look at the deducible and if I ever come here again I'll definitely rent from the same guy. He was recommended by a travel blogger on youtube and I'm happy I went with him.

Glad it worked out because most of the time this type of situation doesn't. Ususally this ends up as a Dominican horror story and a large chunk of change being handed over to the rental outfit. There's more than a few around who use that fine print deductable as a source of income, especially at the tail end of high season.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
That's what made me just tell the rental guy instead of trying to get it fixed. At first the kid who worked at the hotel seemed like a great option because there was some familiarity , less chance of problems etc. But 2 things made me decide against it. The first was a part needed wouldn't be available till Today but I need to be on a cab at midnight or so tonight to goto the airport. If something went wrong or something was delayed, I would have to tell the guy anyway, or book a different flight out and more airbnb's.

But what really changed my mind was the guy looking at me at the very end and telling me what I'm doing is illegal and fraud, but he'll allow me to make the decision. At that point I just had an image in my mind of paying the kid 300, then driving the scooter back and coincidentally police waiting for me to arrest me for trying to defraud one of the ;local vendors. The less dangerous more likely thought in my mind would be him calling the guy and letting him know I'll be afraid of arrest if discovered and I'm good for the 1500 hoping for a kickback. Most likely being paranoid but someone telling me at the tail end of a deal that I'm about to break the law, at least in the states is a red flag.

Either way, I consider my self lucky. Next time I rent a scooter I'll make sure to look at the deducible and if I ever come here again I'll definitely rent from the same guy. He was recommended by a travel blogger on youtube and I'm happy I went with him.

Thanks for the update. It's forum updates like these that keep DR1 useful.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I must have missed the part on the contract where it says there is a 1500usd deductible. I'm happy I didn't get really hurt but I'm hanged up just resting in the room and need to bring the scooter back soon. A few kids looked at it and said it would cost 200-300 but I know that will make little difference when I see the guy.

I guess my question is , what are my chances the guy doens't demand the full 1500 for the scooter damage? I'm trying to reach family to wire money but that part isn't even solid yet and I'm supposed to be flying out Tuesday but from what I've read things get sticky very fast with this sort of thing. The scooter is rideable but has bent wheels and the front frame is cracked (this is the part the kid said would take going to puerto plata to get and is a large piece). I know that doens't do much help short of letting you know the scooter isn't totaled.

What really makes me mad at myself is I've riden scooters in other counties and it wasn't the traffic that did it. It was the lack off and seeing a single whitehouse up on the hill side (east of Caberetee past 2 yellow bridges). I looked up for a second and when I looked down the road turned and I flew off.

You have the information on getting to STI - and now lots of info on "scooter" contracts. When I was first in Las Terrenas I rented a Moto and did some serious damage - more to the Moto than to myself. The guys were very good - back then, (2004)
I don't even think they had written contracts. I was living in the Village so they knew me. They told me 8,000 pesos to repair it... perhaps it was WAY less - but that seemed fair to me at the time. I never rented a car up in LT because the deductible was $1500 US and they would not take American Express. With my Amex card and a $25 per rental period fee, I was always covered for car rental damage in the DR and only took the liability when I wanted to...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I was in somewhat of a similar situation and went to a mechanic and got a quote. That's what I paid and everyone was happy without filing any claims. Most accidents here, if they are minor, are settled this way. Way too much of a hassle for all involved to file a claim and a police report.
A couple of weeks ago I did a slow-back up in our huge 15-passenger E350 van after filling up. I couldn't make the tight turn from the pump to the exit, and in the 10 seconds I backed up a kid in a beater Corolla had quickly taken my space, and I coiuld not see him in any of my mirrors.

So I bumped into him.

Even though the attendant scolded the kid for jumping the gun and getting too close behind me, the kid acted as if I had smashed his new Lambo. There was a tiny mark on the bumper that had a crappy rattle-can paint job...among other scratches.

So instead of arguing the point...and being in a tad hurry...I just offered him RD$1500 and we went on our way.

I love a lot about this country. :cheeky: