Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Is this a terrible year so far for tourism?

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure the other owners in the building might take exception to that kind of activity going on around their families. If you want to make an investment and rent out an apartment, for long term tenants I wouldn't mind. If you wanted to turn the building where I live into a quasi motel crash pad for parties and whatever else I'd definitely have a problem with that.

I'm not much of a condo/apartment person myself, but if I ever entertain the idea of living in one, I have added a "check for an AbnB prohibition" to my list of criteria.

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

I got called away before I could finish...

I am sure that most Dominicans would be quite tolerable of short term guests in their buildings as long as mom, dad and the kid are respectful and not disruptive. I can see nothing but trouble coming with a short term rental for a jet blue fiesta group. Lots of drinking, noise in the hallways as people come and go late at night. Not everyone would be a problem, but I suspect most full time residents in a condo building would prefer not to deal with a high turn over of strangers week after week.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    I'm sure the other owners in the building might take exception to that kind of activity going on around their families. If you want to make an investment and rent out an apartment, for long term tenants I wouldn't mind. If you wanted to turn the building where I live into a quasi motel crash pad for parties and whatever else I'd definitely have a problem with that.

I'm not much of a condo/apartment person myself, but if I ever entertain the idea of living in one, I have added a "check for an AbnB prohibition" to my list of criteria.
    In my tower in Santo Domingo they changed the condo rules specifically to ban all short-term rentals for that reason. I know that in London UK, the law has also been changed to stop people from buying properties and renting them out short-term as it was causing so many problems for other residents.

And to respond to AlexW, you are absolutely right, in an AirBnB you are not restricted to which chicos or chicas you decide to bring in. Hotels will stop certain locals from coming in precisely because they are trouble, and mainly to protect guests.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    I got called away before I could finish...

I am sure that most Dominicans would be quite tolerable of short term guests in their buildings as long as mom, dad and the kid are respectful and not disruptive. I can see nothing but trouble coming with a short term rental for a jet blue fiesta group. Lots of drinking, noise in the hallways as people come and go late at night. Not everyone would be a problem, but I suspect most full time residents in a condo building would prefer not to deal with a high turn over of strangers week after week.
    It's also to do with losing your community. I know my neighbours, we pop in to each others' apartments, we are friends. I don't want a new neighbour every night. And it's also really annoying when you get people who don't know where to park, where to put the trash, when you can and can't make noise.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718