Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: two italians missing in laguna dudu

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    so sorry to read this. Cave diving is particularly dangerous. A VERY advanced form of diving. My nephew is a dive leader in Puerto Rico and when he visited me in SD he went out with this team http://cavediving.com.do/website/ which teaches very advanced diving techniques.

I worked with a diving operation in Haiti back in the late 70's - it attracted some of the most adventurous divers in the world (since the nearest hyperbaric chamber was in Cuba - do not know if the DR has one - but that was a long time ago and diving has come a long way - lots more people doing it - and lots more instruction - the odds of anyone getting "bent", getting "the bends" which can happen both on a deep dive and on a long dive -are much less now since everyone has the decompression tables attached to their equipment)

The DR probably has lots of dive sites that have not really even been "discovered" - it is not promoted as dive destination - which it probably could be. I met a group of divers down in Pedernales - Dominican divers from the Capital- who were taking a boat from there out to Isla Beata -- and wanted the "fisherman to stop fishing" because they were taking the fish from the reef.

It was always sad for me to see some of the gorgeous reef fish being sold for eating.

https://divezone.net/diving/dominican-republic

RIP
    Its not just caves. Entering any enclosed space while diving is very hazardous.
    Every so often you read where highly trained and experienced cave divers run out of air and drown.

Years ago when I was dumber there was a shallow steel wreck in the Florida Keys that would fill up with lobsters.
    It was one way in and one way out through a small hatch that required me to take off my tank to fit through.
    Only safe thing I did was take two flash lights.
    I would not consider going in for a million dollars. Well maybe a million but not a penny less.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Today’s DR1 News

Two divers go missing in Laguna Dudu
    Two Italian divers, 57-year old Carlos Barbieri and 44-year old Carlos Basso, are missing after going for a cave dive on Saturday, 9 February 2019 in El Dudú in Cabrera, in northeastern María Trinidad Sánchez province. The Dominican Republic Speleological Society (DRSS) said that two of their experts, Phillip Lehman and Ángel Compres have joined the rescue team and are working in collaboration with Cabrera authorities and the owners of the Laguna El Dudú recreational area. The search, nevertheless, was suspended on Monday, 11 February 2019 due to reduced visibility in the lagoon waters.

Gerge Martínez, manager of El Dudú, explained that it appears that the Italians ignored the sign posted at the entrance to the cave that warns about the hazards of diving in the cave without adequate international cave diving certification. The society says that diving in a cave requires different training than what is needed to dive in the sea or open water. Likewise, different equipment is required for cave diving. Martínez said that the wife of one of the missing divers said they have dived at the site on many occasions in the past.

El Dudú has a maximum depth of 25 meters and has 800 meters extension.

https://listindiario.com/la-republic...-cueva-el-dudu
    https://eldia.com.do/aguas-turbias-a...ueda-de-buzos/
    Be willing to wager they are not missing and are right there in the cave. Why go in these places?. There is no fish or lobster, little to see and the risks are very very high.
    Technical diving I can see the appeal but go into a black underwater cave to find out nothing is there. Nope.
    And yet people frequently die in these caves.
    Suffocation by drowning is not a pleasant way to end.
    Done a few dumb things in my life and nearly drowned more than once. Resisting the urge to take a deep breath of seawater is painful when you get near the point of losing your breath holding control.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234