Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: two italians missing in laguna dudu

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default two italians missing in laguna dudu

two italians are missing after setting out for a dive in laguna dudu last saturday:
    https://www.diariolibre.com/actualid...udu-GF12064552
    the search for them has been suspended for now:
    https://noticia.do/buscan-en-laguna-...tas-italianos/

North Coast Moderator

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

so sorry to read this. Cave diving is particularly dangerous. A VERY advanced form of diving. My nephew is a dive leader in Puerto Rico and when he visited me in SD he went out with this team http://cavediving.com.do/website/ which teaches very advanced diving techniques.

I worked with a diving operation in Haiti back in the late 70's - it attracted some of the most adventurous divers in the world (since the nearest hyperbaric chamber was in Cuba - do not know if the DR has one - but that was a long time ago and diving has come a long way - lots more people doing it - and lots more instruction - the odds of anyone getting "bent", getting "the bends" which can happen both on a deep dive and on a long dive -are much less now since everyone has the decompression tables attached to their equipment)

The DR probably has lots of dive sites that have not really even been "discovered" - it is not promoted as dive destination - which it probably could be. I met a group of divers down in Pedernales - Dominican divers from the Capital- who were taking a boat from there out to Isla Beata -- and wanted the "fisherman to stop fishing" because they were taking the fish from the reef.

It was always sad for me to see some of the gorgeous reef fish being sold for eating.

https://divezone.net/diving/dominican-republic

RIP

3. Likes cobraboy, zoomzx11 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    so sorry to read this. Cave diving is particularly dangerous. A VERY advanced form of diving. My nephew is a dive leader in Puerto Rico and when he visited me in SD he went out with this team http://cavediving.com.do/website/ which teaches very advanced diving techniques.

I worked with a diving operation in Haiti back in the late 70's - it attracted some of the most adventurous divers in the world (since the nearest hyperbaric chamber was in Cuba - do not know if the DR has one - but that was a long time ago and diving has come a long way - lots more people doing it - and lots more instruction - the odds of anyone getting "bent", getting "the bends" which can happen both on a deep dive and on a long dive -are much less now since everyone has the decompression tables attached to their equipment)

The DR probably has lots of dive sites that have not really even been "discovered" - it is not promoted as dive destination - which it probably could be. I met a group of divers down in Pedernales - Dominican divers from the Capital- who were taking a boat from there out to Isla Beata -- and wanted the "fisherman to stop fishing" because they were taking the fish from the reef.

It was always sad for me to see some of the gorgeous reef fish being sold for eating.

https://divezone.net/diving/dominican-republic

RIP
    I agree, but it's hard to tell a man trying to feed his family that he needs them to starve for some future goal.

Cave diving is, indeed, challenging. I cut my diving teeth is the springs and caves of north central FL in my impetuous yout'...
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

5. Likes mountainannie liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    I agree, but it's hard to tell a man trying to feed his family that he needs them to starve for some future goal.

Cave diving is, indeed, challenging. I cut my diving teeth is the springs and caves of north central FL in my impetuous yout'...
    I certainly agree on the fishermen! Thought that the Capitalenos were out of their minds.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

one of the articles reported the italians went for a dive in the area marked as prohibited.

North Coast Moderator

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    one of the articles reported the italians went for a dive in the area marked as prohibited.
    I suppose for some a sign such as that would only prove a temptation. As it evidently did. There are lots of caves in the DR.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope theyre somewhere with some beautiful chicas forgetting the days. But we have to stop ignoring dangers as thrill rushes.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting....prohibited because of danger? So many things dangerous in DR, I’m wondering what caused an actual prohibition sign.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Post Thanks / Like

Curious where in Florida? I'm from FL and dont have alot of experience with springs. As a child I've been to Devil springs and silver springs but I didn't do any diving.

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

And when in DR a certain cave is marked as prohibited to dive one should listen! They rarely put danger signs.... and if you see one.... it has a REASON

13. Likes cobraboy, mountainannie liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast