Sending a vehicle under mudanza rule

tcast305

Jul 17, 2009
Hi,

I know this is a common request, however looking for some help to help out family member.

The vehicle in question is a 2014 Hyundai Sante Fe Sport model. It has 93k miles.

The owner of the vehicle is a Dominican Citizen living here in Miami, FL. I think I remember the vehicle has to be in your name for at least 1 year in order to qualify for the mudanza rule, the vehicle has been under the same names since new. The vehicle is listed under his company name, and his name as well (company, then his name on the title and registration), will that still work?

Also can anyone recommend a shipping/customs broker in Miami that works with vehicle imports in DR?

Thanks.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
It might just be too old. I think it also has to be less than 5 years old, but I could be wrong.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
It might just be too old. I think it also has to be less than 5 years old, but I could be wrong.

I also know about this 5 year law. But recently we have seen in SD several vehicles that were more than 5 years old and just imported from the U.S.A. With all the papers to prove it. So, probably this 5-year requirement does not apply to the licensed dealers.

tcast305

Jul 17, 2009

I thought 5 years was the limit, which is were the vehicle is at. I thought it is/was with vehicles older than 5 years?

Thanks.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I also know about this 5 year law. But recently we have seen in SD several vehicles that were more than 5 years old and just imported from the U.S.A. With all the papers to prove it. So, probably this 5-year requirement does not apply to the licensed dealers.

the fact that there appears to be some violation of the law is not a cue to try it yourself. there are several cars which have been recently confiscated for all manner of attempts to skirt the customs regs,and i will be the first to tell you that if they hold up your car at aduanas, it will be a cold day in hell before you get it out. beating the system has always been par for the course in Dominican life, but some guys are more equal than others. the guys who get away with it might just have better connections than you will have access to.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We brought our car to DR under the “returning Dominican” discount. It was not difficult. It is a one-time discount, and it’s a substantial reduction. A 2014 can be brought in until June 2020, but it has to be landed but then.

I recommend you contact Jacqueline Sánchez in Santo Domingo, she will handle absolutely everything for you from the moment the car is placed on a boat, to having the car and keys handed to you. Tell her Nany recommended her. 829-602-5566

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
There was a news report on Dominican television last week about several Aduana employees arrested for falsification of documents to facilitate the importation of vehicles that did not conform to the five-year-old-vehicle statute. So, some older vehicles were getting into the country, just not legally.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I saw a car last month....

all the manufacturer's stickers had been removed... the ones on the passenger door sill/etc

Just dirty glue marks - no identification

How do they put an age on that car ???

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

all the manufacturer's stickers had been removed... the ones on the passenger door sill/etc

Check the lens on the lights, they are sometimes(?) dated.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004

10th character in VIN is the year.

It begins with A for 1980, the first year a standard 17-digit VIN was used. Subsequent years follow the alphabet of to “Y” in the year 2000.

In 2001, the year changes to the number “1”, and ascends to “9” In 2009.

In 2010, the alphabet starts again with the letter “A” for 2010 model years.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/articl...-vehicle-identification-number-by-jason-unrau

If that’s what you meant by manufacturer stickers being removed, you could look for etchings on the windows or other parts. But sure sounds like something nefarious going on.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I assume this removal thing is a way around the Aduana....

Are they going to dig that far ?? I doubt it.
No stickers... some payola and in we go.

The cars I'm talking about are Suzuki XL-7's which ceased production more than 5 yrs ago....2009

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I assume this removal thing is a way around the Aduana....

Are they going to dig that far ?? I doubt it.
No stickers... some payola and in we go.

The cars I'm talking about are Suzuki XL-7's which ceased production more than 5 yrs ago....2009

there is a dealer in La Vega, whose name i will not disclose, who has 3 of the XL7 Suzukis that WW referenced in his posting above. they are not trade ins they have not yet been titled in the DR.

so, i need to know how a dealer has 3 cars which stopped production 9 years ago sitting on his lot. bet you could not pull that off.

Jan 9, 2004
Hi,

I know this is a common request, however looking for some help to help out family member.

The vehicle in question is a 2014 Hyundai Sante Fe Sport model. It has 93k miles.

The owner of the vehicle is a Dominican Citizen living here in Miami, FL. I think I remember the vehicle has to be in your name for at least 1 year in order to qualify for the mudanza rule, the vehicle has been under the same names since new. The vehicle is listed under his company name, and his name as well (company, then his name on the title and registration), will that still work?

As of today, yes.

The five year rule technically gives you 5 years and 6 months.

By way of example, his 2014 would need to be landed (meaning in port) by June 30, 2020.

As to his ownership and registration, they meet the current requirements too.

Also can anyone recommend a shipping/customs broker in Miami that works with vehicle imports in DR?

There are many and you have been given a contact above.

FYI. The vehicle must not contain anything that is not a part of the car........i.e. boxes, etc. Do not send the car with factory floor mats or any loose extras.........they may disappear in transit.

Do take extensive photos of the vehicle, both in/out and under the hood. Lots of things can get swapped out before they get it out of Aduana.

Things have gotten better over the years, but understand it still happens.

In order of preference for a shipping port, Caucedo, Haina, Puerto Plata......in that order. Caucedo is the lesser of the evils.

My clients import both new and used vehicles into the DR and elsewhere in the Caribbean.........so the information comes from their years of experience.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As of today, yes.

The five year rule technically gives you 5 years and 6 months.

By way of example, his 2014 would need to be landed (meaning in port) by June 30, 2020.

As to his ownership and registration, they meet the current requirements too.

There are many and you have been given a contact above.

FYI. The vehicle must not contain anything that is not a part of the car........i.e. boxes, etc. Do not send the car with factory floor mats or any loose extras.........they may disappear in transit.

Do take extensive photos of the vehicle, both in/out and under the hood. Lots of things can get swapped out before they get it out of Aduana.

Things have gotten better over the years, but understand it still happens.

In order of preference for a shipping port, Caucedo, Haina, Puerto Plata......in that order. Caucedo is the lesser of the evils.

My clients import both new and used vehicles into the DR and elsewhere in the Caribbean.........so the information comes from their years of experience.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Good point about the contents. We lost floor mats and seat covers. Not a big deal, more annoying than anything. Before we shipped it down, we put new Michelin tires on it, to the tune of $1,000 from Sams Club, so those were our concern, and they were there.

Sep 4, 2012
Hi,

Thanks.

One year rule for ownership applies, though the fact that his company and name are both registered as owner might just bring some questioning from the aduanas inspectors.

In Miami - contact Montero Shipping, their fees should not go past 1500 USD and it'll take about three weeks to get the vehicle in a DR port.

They also could provide you with a business person that would help you navigate the custom paperwork and interviews to get your vehicle out of aduanas but this is not part of the shipping agreement.