Lawyer Suggestion?

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
Hi Everyone!

One and a half weeks until our trip to Las Terrenas!

Would any one be able to provide the name and phone number of a lawyer, on the off chance (boy I hope not) that we end up needing one?

I used to be a Girl Guide and our motto was "Be Prepared", lol.

Dawn

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Hi Everyone!

Would any one be able to provide the name and phone number of a lawyer, on the off chance (boy I hope not) that we end up needing one?

Dawn

Do NOT use ANY other lawyer in LT except Guzman - https://www.drlawyer.com

They have a gorgeous office right as the road forks going into town.

I hope that there will be no reason for you to use them unless you fall in love with the place and decide to buy something... which, evidently, even first time visitors seem to do...

(and I would not even advise that -- but - well -there are lots of folks who do - and who have a great deal more money than I do!)

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
Do NOT use ANY other lawyer in LT except Guzman - https://www.drlawyer.com

They have a gorgeous office right as the road forks going into town.

I hope that there will be no reason for you to use them unless you fall in love with the place and decide to buy something... which, evidently, even first time visitors seem to do...

(and I would not even advise that -- but - well -there are lots of folks who do - and who have a great deal more money than I do!)

Mountainannie,

I'm assuming you have or know someone who has experience with them?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Mountainannie,

I'm assuming you have or know someone who has experience with them?

Yes- I have experience with them - as do many/most of the posters on DR1. They are the premier English speaking law firm in the DR and handle a lot of the residency papers for lots of expats. They are known for being completely honest and above board as well as having English speaking staff.

I doubt that you will find anyone who will post that they have had a Bad Experience with them. Most of the legal difficulties that folks have in the DR come from the frequency with which the laws change and the uneven level at which they are enforced.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Not to mention that there are some AMAZINGLY crooked lawyers in the DR - and in LT particularly- (although some of the ones who were there when I got there in 2004 may have been run out of town) - I knew of foreigners who did not speak Spanish well and managed to somehow trust a local lawyer to do their paper work - only to discover that they had actually signed over title of their new condo to the lawyer..

Caveat Emptor

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Since 1928... thru many regimes... Guzman has survived

Recently retired Afredo Guzman went to school in Canada.... Aurora ON to be exact
Boys' boarding school

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Winnepeg - should you run into any sort of problems/issues/questions - seek out my friend Annette Snyder who runs the little International School - she is from Portland, OR and will steer you to the honest folk. I met her through contacts on this message boards about 6 months before I "emigrated" and we corresponded for 6 months before my arrival. When I got there and introduced myself around - saying that I was a friend of Annette and her husband, Jose Bourget (which by that time, I was) - the locals immediately said "Oh, then you are on the side of the Angels" - and that was that.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi Everyone!

Dawn

If you are going on vacation with the thought you might need the services of a lawyer while you are there than I would like to know what do you think might happen based on your behavior in the DR? If you are considering bringing pot with you than I would think hard and long about that. Remember your not in Canada anymore.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Guzman Ariza are fine if you want to buy a property. And maybe to get residency, the first time. But if you need a lawyer because something bad has happened to you, like you've been involved in an accident or arrested, there are better law firms out there. If you need heavyweight help, I would strongly recommend Dr Gustavo Mejia-Ricart or Leonel Melo Guerrero. Both are A-List lawyers, speak perfect English and are very well connected in Dominican society as well as with the main foreign embassies, so will be way better placed to sort out a big problem than Guzman Ariza. They both charge in the region of US$ 250 per hour. Like everything here, it's horses for courses.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Winnepeg - should you run into any sort of problems/issues/questions - seek out my friend Annette Snyder who runs the little International School - she is from Portland, OR and will steer you to the honest folk. I met her through contacts on this message boards about 6 months before I "emigrated" and we corresponded for 6 months before my arrival. When I got there and introduced myself around - saying that I was a friend of Annette and her husband, Jose Bourget (which by that time, I was) - the locals immediately said "Oh, then you are on the side of the Angels" - and that was that.

These people are coming for vacation and asking about an attorney. I can understand asking about car insurance on a rental, or if there is a good clinic in case of emergency but why would the thought cross your mind that you might need an attorney because you broke the law and got into some legal trouble? It makes no sense unless you are planning to possibly do something shady or bring drugs into the country with you????? The last thing people of vacation want is to be arrested in a foreign country. I guess maybe I'm just questioning the motivation here???

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Which attorney handles residency renewals cheaply and efficiently ? I just don't want to bother with it myself

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
These people are coming for vacation and asking about an attorney. I can understand asking about car insurance on a rental, or if there is a good clinic in case of emergency but why would the thought cross your mind that you might need an attorney because you broke the law and got into some legal trouble? It makes no sense unless you are planning to possibly do something shady or bring drugs into the country with you????? The last thing people of vacation want is to be arrested in a foreign country. I guess maybe I'm just questioning the motivation here???

If you drive, you should always have a good attorneys number on hand. Nothing really sinister there. Also, once you know the DR. You know even being the victim of a crime you better have a good lawyers number ready to go.

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
LTSteve,

Mama Mia! Sounds like I struck a cord with you.

I only ask because we are renting a vehicle. Heaven forbid we get in an accident because I've been told a lawyer would be needed, whether we were at fault or not!

Incidentally, my biblical beliefs negate me from using drugs, getting drunk, or doing anything illegal.

I must say I`m offended by your assumptive post.

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
Tropical Paul,

Thank you. A car accident is our only concern. Are these gentlemen in Las Terrenas?

Based on what mountainannie posted about the bulk of Las Terrenas lawyers, they are probably located elsewhere.

I would appreciate there address and phone number info if you have it.

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
Funny.

I didn't have a clue what you were talking about so I starting repeating your post out loud. My husband just said "Saul was the shady lawyer in the show Breaking Bad!".

lol

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019

mountainannie,

Thank you so much. You are a wealth of information. As I just finished explaining to some other message board contributors, we would only need a lawyer if we were involved in a car accident.

I will definitely seek out your friend if we need to.

Dawn