DR Customs Requrement to register in order to receive packages from couriers

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
What Is The Deal with Dominican Customs?

So the other day I got this email from EPS which is titled Comunicado Asodec. It seems to be that the Aduanas (Customs) is now requiring everyone who orders merchandise online to submit info directly to them here:

https://www.aduanas.gob.do/de-interés/consultas/registro-courier/

And they are saying if it is not done by a certain deadline they will begin holding up or blocking merchandise from being received which is over $200. This whole thing doesn't make any sense. First off the Customs always gets paid whenever anyone orders anything through EPS, as it has to go through them, so why is it necessary for them to get this additional info? it also says on the form if incorrect info is submitted packages over $200 is held up, and I also received a letter from EPS saying the government is trying to limit customers to no more than $2000 per year total, which is not a lot of money. A high end gaming laptop will easily pass the $2,000 mark. I filled out and submitted my info yesterday but I'm concerned future items over $200 may get held up.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It appears the DR Customs has put a requirement on all of us using DR couriers that forward packages to us from Florida and other locations that we must register to get those packages in the very near future.

I just got this from CPS:

Dear clients,

The norm 01-2018 put into effect in February 2018, regulates the fractionation of merchandise through courier companies, establishes the single customs register (RUA) of all users, as a requirement to receive their packages.

It's time to register. The deadline is July 28 of the current year. If you are not registered by then, you will not be able to receive packages.
Queridos clientes,

La norma 01-2018 puesta en vigor en Febrero de 2018, regula el fraccionamiento de mercancías a través de empresas courier, establece el registro único aduanero (RUA) de todos los usuarios, como requisito para recibir sus paquetes.

Llegó el momento de registrarte. El plazo vence el 28 de Julio del año en curso. De no haberte registrado, no podrás recibir paquetes.

Follow the steps below / Siga las instrucciones:

CLICK HERE / HAZ CLICK AQUI (which is a link to Aduanas and how to register using a Cedula, Passport, or RNC number).

https://www.aduanas.gob.do/de-interés/consultas/registro-courier/

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Here is my guess as to why DR Customs is doing this. Customs wants to see how many items you are receiving by using any or all freight forwarders you might use. Then they will come up with ways to charge you tax on anything they can after you are identified. Customs was always fighting to charge duty on all shipments, but they have been beaten down on doing that so far for items under $200 US in value.

Anyone else have insight into this new requirement to register or not be able to receive packages?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Here is my guess as to why DR Customs is doing this. Customs wants to see how many items you are receiving by using any or all freight forwarders you might use. Then they will come up with ways to charge you tax on anything they can after you are identified. Customs was always fighting to charge duty on all shipments, but they have been beaten down on doing that so far for items under $200 US in value.

Anyone else have insight into this new requirement to register or not be able to receive packages?

They want to catch people that is buying to resell, in the form they ask if you buy for personal use or resell, and also for how many people do you make purchases.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Let them tax me, still won't buy the Made in China crap from the companies that are behind that new sh** coming from aduanas. Viva Amazon!!! :D

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Let them tax me, still won't buy the Made in China crap from the companies that are behind that new sh** coming from aduanas. Viva Amazon!!! :D

Yeah, Dominican Customs is sh*t. There is no reason for them to require additional info, and I agree with you it sounds like a move to coerce people into buying the Chinese made garbage that they plan to import into the island. Don't you love it on their website how they say they're doing it for the protection of buyers? LOL, classic government BS.

$200 is a joke of a limit anyhow, even a PlayStation 4 costs more than that. Oh, get this, when I went to their website yesterday it wouldn't even load, then when it finally loaded the form you're supposed to fill out wouldn't load, these morons can't even build a website correctly. If Customs keeps it up with this BS I will start buying stuff second hand from expats here in the DR and EPS will just take a huge loss. This is classic government meddling in private business and as always it is just going to make things worse. No way everyone is going to fill out and submit that stupid form by deadline what if it went into the junk folder now you will have a bunch of merchandise getting held up in Customs.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The link that Windy posted worked for me today. Tried yesterday with a similar, but not the exact link that EPS sent and got nowhere.

By the way they send you an Email right away that you click and then the registration is complete. As they send another Email to confirm.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
They will make a file with a list of everything you buy, if in a year you buy more celullars than a normal person will do, get ready for all the taxes they will make you pay.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Right riva.... it's to get the resellers

Same issue a couple of years ago with appliances...
they instituted a new rule about how many appliances any given container could have on arrival... like 20-25 only

ONLY !!!
as far as I know , my mudanza in NYC never ships any... except mine

But CB and I bought stoves and the container was full of appliances.... ours slid thru.

That was an MIA mudanza - there must be a big business buying at Lowes/BestBuy/HomeDepot and shipping here
for resale

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Aduanas has been trying to do away with the $200 exemption for a while now. Not having been successful doing that, last year or so they put a limit of 20 shipments per year tax free on $200 or less. Of course that announcement predated any way of tracking how many shipments people received other than by pen & paper.

Now they want you to register so they can actually keep a tally of how many shipments you receive. Yes, of course it's a means to thwart the people buying deep fryers to sell on the side as well as to exercise more control over how much tax free stuff people have access to.

Cell phones are already taxed at a higher rate, that was announced recently and I believed regardless of purchase price.

I too am going to wait a bit before registering. I've set a reminder for around May 1 just to give it some time for the system to break.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If there was a big business re-selling appliances from Miami here on the north coast, I wonder why the "best" they seem to sell is GE and Frigidaire bottom level crap instead of some better brands at similar prices that are available in Miami. Granted it is better than most Chinese junk, but it is still garbage. Oh well, I will just import for personal use for appliances as I have been doing.

I am fully "registered". Apparently, I did so back when the first notification came out some time ago.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Cell phones are already taxed at a higher rate, that was announced recently and I believed regardless of purchase price.

I just ordered a new inexpensive yet WhatsApp capable cell phone in January for a family member. Shipping it from Florida was $155 RD.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The story and a follow up were covered in the DR1 news section awhile back. I may have read you were allowed to import one before the tax kicked in, I don't remember for sure and can't be bothered to look it up as I won't be buying another phone anytime soon.

It wasn't as hard to find as I thought.

Customs increases tax on cell phone imports
In a measure that protects sales by local telecoms, the Customs Agency (DGA) announced that individuals importing mobiles would be charged 20% tax, and not the 3% as at present. The measure is in effect immediately and complies with Customs Reform Law 146-00. The administrative measure reducing the tax had been issued in 2005. The DGA said the 3% is still valid for imports that were on their way or in Customs as of 6 February 2019.

http://www.amellcxa.com/pdf/Ley_146-00.pdf

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Wish I had seen that before :/ I've got a phone stuck in aduanas since Thursday. Total with shipping was US$200.08 but BM Cargo so far haven't been able to tell me how much it'll be, just that they're waiting on aduanas.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Wish I had seen that before :/ I've got a phone stuck in aduanas since Thursday. Total with shipping was US$200.08 but BM Cargo so far haven't been able to tell me how much it'll be, just that they're waiting on aduanas.

I've bought many cell phones through Amazon shipped through EPS-Always need to keep the total well under $200 each time.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
CPS - with the last debacle they created by sending out an erroneous new shipping address (three packages lost for me and counting). Can they be trusted that you need to register with Aduanas.
I'm about to quit ordered stuff.
I'll make two trips to Florida per year. With what I save in shipping I'll partially ay for the flights