Military shakedown

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Today exiting the autopista at La Romana salida was a military vehicle (Hummer) and three soldiers. They were standing in the road with guns. I tried to keep moving and leave, but one waved me over. I stopped, he ended up on the passenger side. I put the window down and asked him what he wanted. He asked me if I was military. I said no.

He then walked over to driver side and asked if todo esta bien. I said yes. I live here. Then he asked me if I could help him with something. Code for money. Puede ayudar me con algo. I did not want to get into any more conversation and said I don't have anything. Otra vez. He waved me on.

Wft. Is this a Valentine Day tradition? I saw a discussion on DR1 a while ago about this with Policia Nacional, but never military. I have passed this intersection many times and never seen this.

Definitely military. (My wife told me later I should have given him something so he is not frio with me another time. I don't expect to see him again, but who knows.) Maybe I should keep the 200 peso bill within reach from now on.

Today exiting the autopista at La Romana salida was a military vehicle (Hummer) and three soldiers. They were standing in the road with guns. I tried to keep moving and leave, but one waved me over. I stopped, he ended up on the passenger side. I put the window down and asked him what he wanted. He asked me if I was military. I said no.

He then walked over to driver side and asked if todo esta bien. I said yes. I live here. Then he asked me if I could help him with something. Code for money. Puede ayudar me con algo. I did not want to get into any more conversation and said I don't have anything. Otra vez. He waved me on.

Wft. Is this a Valentine Day tradition? I saw a discussion on DR1 a while ago about this with Policia Nacional, but never military. I have passed this intersection many times and never seen this.

Definitely military. (My wife told me later I should have given him something so he is not frio with me another time. I don't expect to see him again, but who knows.) Maybe I should keep the 200 peso bill within reach from now on.

Ahhh they just being friendly, Tell them no and keep it moving or give em 50 pesos

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Sadly, these military guys make such a small salary that many of them always have their hands out. Next time carry a box of valentine candy with you and give it to him for his wife or girlfriend.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017

This is not entirely new. You may get it in Santo Domingo Este at the right time of year. I tend to switch to English-only communication and treat them like a favorite high school classmate that I have not seen in so many years. They tend to look puzzled, smile, and tell me to pass.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I haven't see the propina stop in years. I used to keep 100 pesos handy in case I got stopped. I guess I will go back to that. I found it saves a lot of hassle and as someone said these guys make very little money.

If you really don't want to pay them you can keep a camera handy as they really don't want thier picture taken will extorting money.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
I haven't see the propina stop in years. I used to keep 100 pesos handy in case I got stopped. I guess I will go back to that. I found it saves a lot of hassle and as someone said these guys make very little money.

If you really don't want to pay them you can keep a camera handy as they really don't want thier picture taken will extorting money.
Do NOT take or pretend to take pictures of ANY country's military without permission. This can get you arrested in many countries. Either offer the 100 pesos, or politely decline to contribute to the pension fund. The camera suggestion is a very, very bad one.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The wife did it several times and never had a problem. Again this was years ago when they had a propina stop on ever other road.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Do NOT take or pretend to take pictures of ANY country's military without permission. This can get you arrested in many countries. Either offer the 100 pesos, or politely decline to contribute to the pension fund. The camera suggestion is a very, very bad one.

Unless they ban dash-cams...... military all over the world are filmed w/o permission daily.

Sep 4, 2012

Propina handy, good idea and a cheap way out - wouldn't agree with taking pictures, too risky and not worth the trouble.

100.00 Pesos would provide a priceless piece of mind, unless one wants a unnecessary testosterone challenge.

Yeap, I get it - one shouldn't add to the unscrupulous "extortion," but, man; with a 49:1 ratio in the exchange - I rather pay up!

You be the hero!

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I have a business trip to PRC soon. Do you desire to join me and test your hypothesis?

Well, for one, i have 0 incentive to relocate to the PRC......much less appealing than the dr in my eyes.

Also PRC have cracked down big time on corruption.

Finally my dashcam is even made in PRC !!! and i dont turn off when i see dr military ;)

jtom343

Nov 8, 2017

Hey OP. What part do you live? I’ve had trouble with the same guys and in particular only just one of them. I was told the guys name should be stitched onto their uniform. I couldn’t catch his name BC I didn’t know to look at the time but I believe it was Ferda, Ferrar or something similar.

I haven’t had trouble with any of them except this one particular one who stopped me 3 times and blocked me from closing my door after telling me I was fine to go. Talked w some guys who said they can take care of the problem but they need a name. Was also advised to take a picture by policia Nacional but I also get the feeling that is a bad idea. Anyways, from what I hear these guys will be a permanent fixture here in La Romana to “protect” some new neighbors we have here. I was asked by the same guy if I was Turkish when I’m obviously not. When I said Americano, the guy took it as his que to try and extort me. I was able to leave all 3 times after an uncomfortable 5 minutes and I am in no way going to put up with this BS as an everyday part of my life.

His description is that he’s always wearing a camo uniform sometimes w a flak jacket underneath. Hes the shortest one Of the bunch and seems about 5’6” cut build and square jaw. More of a tan/caramel complexion. If you happen to get the name, let’s hook up and we can all complain about this scum bag to the right people.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I hadn’t been stopped in years but then it happened twice in a 15 minute period driving between Santo Domingo and Las Americas this past Thursday. I just played dumb and spoke only in English. Both times they just gave up and told me to go.

jtom343

Nov 8, 2017

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...ories/dominican-republic-travel-advisory.html

These are the types of issues is why the U.S. State Department just issued a travel advisory to the country. That can't possibly be good for the tourism industry the country relies on and the industry should take note. I respect the cops and the law everywhere but it becomes hard when the ones who are there to protect you are the ones who are committing crimes they are supposed to protect against. I haven't seen the traffic stop there in the last few days. If anyone gets stopped by this thief, please make note of the name stitched into his uniform.

Again, his description is that he’s always wearing a camo uniform sometimes w a flak jacket. Hes the shortest one Of the bunch and seems about 5’6”, cut build and square jaw. More of a tan/caramel complexion. I didn't know to look at the time, but his name was something along the lines of "Ferrar" or "Ferda".

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Hey OP. What part do you live? I’ve had trouble with the same guys and in particular only just one of them. I was told the guys name should be stitched onto their uniform. I couldn’t catch his name BC I didn’t know to look at the time but I believe it was Ferda, Ferrar or something similar.

I haven’t had trouble with any of them except this one particular one who stopped me 3 times and blocked me from closing my door after telling me I was fine to go. Talked w some guys who said they can take care of the problem but they need a name. Was also advised to take a picture by policia Nacional but I also get the feeling that is a bad idea. Anyways, from what I hear these guys will be a permanent fixture here in La Romana to “protect” some new neighbors we have here. I was asked by the same guy if I was Turkish when I’m obviously not. When I said Americano, the guy took it as his que to try and extort me. I was able to leave all 3 times after an uncomfortable 5 minutes and I am in no way going to put up with this BS as an everyday part of my life.

His description is that he’s always wearing a camo uniform sometimes w a flak jacket underneath. Hes the shortest one Of the bunch and seems about 5’6” cut build and square jaw. More of a tan/caramel complexion. If you happen to get the name, let’s hook up and we can all complain about this scum bag to the right people.

It was at the exit to La Romana from the autopista. The first La Romana exit coming from the east. That intersects the road that takes you to the main Casa de Campo entrance. And where is Jardines del Caribe. We live father to the west. But, I drive a few places in La Romana and have never seen these guys before. Policia Nacional yes. AMET yes. AMET has waved me over to check the documents for the car.

The guy that was talking to me was not short. There was another one off to the right that seemed shorter. I only saw him out of the corner of my eye. I was focused on the conversation at my window. And, trying to read what this guy wanted. I did not see a name. He was wearing a beret. And had a sh&t eating grin on his face when he asked for money. It was my take that it was best to just say no and leave. In other situations, I do sometimes give people something. Hardly ever the windshield washers, sometimes yes. They know me now. Jjjj.

Anyhow, if I get stopped by these military guys again I will let you know. I don't expect it though, because as I say, I have never encountered this before. I come off that exit often. I will be there again in a few days.

You got out of your car? You say he blocked while you were trying to close your door. I would not get out.

Also, I was trying to figure why his first question to me was if I was military.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Also, I was trying to figure why his first question to me was if I was military.
I can only guess that he would have flagged you through. Once, when stopped in Santo Domingo Este, before I could say hello, my friend said she is military, flashed him an ID, and told me to keep driving. Well, he stepped back and told me to go. When I hesitated, she repeated her command for me to keep driving. The guy nodded yes, and away we went. My friend then rolled her eyes at me.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Went to santiago today, with my visiting parents.
Instead of going the Imbert-Navarette way we went the Guyacanes-Navarette road.
There is a large military check point somewhere along la liña(?).

Anyhow, for the first time ever, the soldiers pulled us over, and called a migracion guy ( who didnt come over, he was sitting in the shade, who would blame him ? ). They asked for ID.

Well for 1, I didnt switch off my dashcam ;), and secondly as we were told to pull over my wife, who was in the back seat with my mom, stopped playing candycrush, and filmed the whole thing on her phone. The soldier smiled, and asked if she was for real, to which she answered she was just protecting her parents in-law ( she is very protective of them, in general ).
They glanced at my parents passports, and our cedulas, and we were on our way.

Jul 28, 2014
I find it interesting how the President never catches wind of this and does something, a couple things come to mind....

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
So, they are there again today. Another holiday, another shakedown. (Almost Semana Santa.) They had the whole right lane blocked today. Rifles in hand. There were about four of them. I did not count, I was digging out the payoff. I had passed this same place again a few times more since last time and they were not there, so I was not thinking much about it.

They were not going to let me pass this time. I asked them what they wanted. No reply, they just told me pull over to the right. I said voy a Romana and gave him two hundred pesos. And, turned left. He was fine with it.