Dual Citizenship Rules

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I know that the Dominican Republic generally allows dual citizenship, but are there any limits on the maximum number of allowable foreign citizenships or any specific countries that are excluded?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I know that the Dominican Republic generally allows dual citizenship, but are there any limits on the maximum number of allowable foreign citizenships or any specific countries that are excluded?
I had a friend with three citizenships, Dominican, Italian and American.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Thanks. It wonder if it could be the case that multiple citizenships are allowed if held from birth/childhood, but not for an unlimited number of foreign citizenships obtained in adulthood.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
To my knowledge - there is no limit..

One rule is that if you have a US passport...you MUST use it on entry to the US.

Other than that....no restrictions that I know of

Passports and multiple passports are a misunderstood topic - especially by Americans, it seems.
Given that US population has a low rate of issued passports

See this
In Canada, 66 percent of people had a passport in 2016 while in the UK, 76 percent of people in England and Wales have one.Jan 11, 2018

and this
Still, only 36 percent of Americans hold a valid passport, according to the State Department, compared to 60 percent of passport-holding Canadians and 75 percent for Brits and Aussies. That means almost 70 percent of us are unqualified for international travel.Apr 14, 2016

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I'm sure the rate would also be low in other big important countries like Russia and China. The US is very big and has a lot to offer that Europeans would need to leave the country for.

Additionally, the enhanced driver's license offered by a few US states serves as a passport to Canada, Mexico, and most of the Western Hemisphere for non-air travel.

Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, Washington (state)

As for my post, I'm interesting in learning whether the Dominican government imposes any restrictions or limits on foreign citizenship.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
All true

I am a Cdn citizen who has just passed my RD citizenship test/exam.

I know of no restrictions in RD about my duality

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
I do not believe that DR cares, so long as you enter and exit on the DR passport.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I do not believe that DR cares, so long as you enter and exit on the DR passport.

Now that conflicts with what some others have posted. I've read that a number of Dominican-American dual citizens use their US passports to enter and exit the DR and that this is not an issue.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Thanks. It wonder if it could be the case that multiple citizenships are allowed if held from birth/childhood, but not for an unlimited number of foreign citizenships obtained in adulthood.

I've read the Dominican law regarding requirements for citizenship and I didn't see any mention of restriction on the number of other citizenships that can be held.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I have Dual Dominican/Canadian Citizenship as does my wife. We both use our Canadian passports, which have to get unlocked at the airport if we've been in the country for more than 30 days, which takes about five minutes. We plan to get our Dominican passports, just isn't convenient when you live in Jarabacoa.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have dual citizenship and entered and left on my British passport as have not bothered to get a Dominican one. And you can have as many nationalities as you want as a DR citizen - but you just have to provide the reasons why and documentation if you have more than one when applying to be a DR citizen.

Matilda

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Now that conflicts with what some others have posted. I've read that a number of Dominican-American dual citizens use their US passports to enter and exit the DR and that this is not an issue.

Correct, I am one of those.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hmmm
This is interesting
No need for a hard copy of the passport,
Will the system pull you up asa citizen ... or do we care?

Just renewing the cedula locally will make me happy... and no more residencies

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Hmmm
This is interesting

Your cedula says you are Dominican, just show that along with your passport, leaving and entering the DR.

Matilda

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Hmmm
This is interesting

That is correct.
Use your passport ( swiss in my wife's case ) to enter and leave the dr. They will just ask to also see your cedula.
Her last dominican passport stopped being valid 15+ years ago......,and was hand-written !!!