River Adventure for 7

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
Wife and I are again going to the DR Puerta Plata we are bringing a friend. I am a beach rat but we have decided to do something different for at least 1 day. Is there any river park where we can hangout on the river and be able to have food and beers :classic: served to us? Last time I was in Jamaica I went to a river but had to bring everything with us. So am just wondering if such a place exists near Puerta Plata??

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
No Camararas.

I’ve been to a couple of “river outings” on the north coast. But they were always “BYOS” (bring your own stuff). No food or drink waiter service.
There are several places like that along the river up in the mountains by Jarrabacoa (Jarrabacoa River Club comes to mind). But that’s at least 2 hours travel time from Puerto Plata.

And 27 Waterfalls is a lot of fun. But don’t expect to be pampered with food and drink. You can however stop in Maimon on the way back at one of the good seafood restaurants.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Wife and I are again going to the DR Puerta Plata we are bringing a friend. I am a beach rat but we have decided to do something different for at least 1 day. Is there any river park where we can hangout on the river and be able to have food and beers :classic: served to us? Last time I was in Jamaica I went to a river but had to bring everything with us. So am just wondering if such a place exists near Puerta Plata??

if they have not figured out a practical way to provide food service on those rustic tours in Jamaica, it just is not doable...

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
There is a place called Balneario la Represa on the river in Jamao. Beautiful water, rope swings, tables / facilities plus they cook for you. Up the mountain road past Cabarete. We had an amazing time.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm confused: are you looking for an adventure or anti-adventure then? 27 charcos is fun but requires walking, swimming and quite some effort. not sure that fits your idea of chillaxing with booze. there are some balnearios around PP that offer what you're looking for but they cater to locals: you need a car to get there and you need to know where exactly those spots are. there's one such place in san marcos but i don't know if they open in the winter.

maybe a better choice would be an organized excursion. check out this company:
https://www.iguanamama.com/
normally their trips include lunch and drinks and they do pick you up and deliver back to the hotel.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
No river parks per se that I am familiar with. There is a restaurant at La Boca between Cabarete and Sabaneta. Park at the mouth of the Yasica river and take the shuttle boat to the restaurant. I'm sure you can hang there and consume copious amounts of food and drink at a reasonable cost.

The place is called Wilson's Bar and you should be able to find it and directions on Google maps.

DRJo

Feb 2, 2014
There is a place called Balneario la Represa on the river in Jamao. Beautiful water, rope swings, tables / facilities plus they cook for you. Up the mountain road past Cabarete. We had an amazing time.

Is this the road that goes to the caves? I would like to check this out or any other "swimming hole" type places in the Puerto Plata, Cabarete area. More detailed directions would be appreciated.

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
No river parks per se that I am familiar with. There is a restaurant at La Boca between Cabarete and Sabaneta. Park at the mouth of the Yasica river and take the shuttle boat to the restaurant. I'm sure you can hang there and consume copious amounts of food and drink at a reasonable cost.

The place is called Wilson's Bar and you should be able to find it and directions on Google maps.
Sorry guys it has been a month. Thanks for all the input. Yes we are looking to be pampered and consume much food and beverage. This Wilsons bar I will google. Thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sorry guys it has been a month. Thanks for all the input. Yes we are looking to be pampered and consume much food and beverage. This Wilsons bar I will google. Thanks

Wilson's sounds like your place.